Kick Shot Question

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The following shot came up in the US Open Bar Table 9-Ball Finals, Shane VanBoening vs James Aranas:

Shane decided to kick as shown in the picture. My questions is, why would you kick two rails? The one rail kick looks easier to pocket the ball and gives you better shape. Anyone know why he chose the two railer?

Attachments

• IMG_0426-.jpg
    IMG_0426-.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 696

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just speaking for myself, going two rails makes the hit easier. He may have playing a safe as well.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
l think both ways would be a low percentage ball to pot with the 2 railer being harder but it is less of a chance to sellout if missed compared with trying to hit the 6b one rail.

I suspect that SVB would primarily be looking to kick safe here and if the ball went in, that would be just fine, too. :)

having a positive aiming point on that 2nd rail (approx 2nd diamond in this case) is very helpful when kicking this one and, yes, does make the hit easier.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing safe. The hit isn’t the issue. This way, you have a pretty decent chance at the cue rolling under the 7 and having a solid safe. Plus, you would be shooting away from the 7 and position for the 7, if you could pocket the ball, would be harder.

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was definitely trying to kick safe, which is Shanes big advantage, great safety play.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Who am I to disagree with Shane.

I am Playing the 6 ball 3 rails with shape on the 7and still have a shot at leaving a safe or tough if I miss, with good speed and some luck.
I play a lot of 3 cushion so I feel confident to make it.

There is a big scratch off the 6 ball if he gets too long coming in; it's been there for 300 years. Back door scatches are killers.
Always check how the table is running; long or short, from all 4 corners 3 rails around and corners to side pockets 1 rail in.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just speaking for myself, going two rails makes the hit easier. He may have playing a safe as well.

Good call! Much bigger ball this way and a lot better chance of getting safe if you don't "accidently" make it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I am Playing the 6 ball 3 rails with shape on the 7and still have a shot at leaving a safe or tough if I miss, with good speed and some luck.

There is a big scratch off the 6 ball if he gets too long coming in; it's been there for 300 years. Back door scatches are killers.
Always check how the table is running; long or short, from all 4 corners 3 rails around and corners to side pockets 1 rail in.

You made me take another look at it....I agree with you, three rails.
...I'll bet on the hit all day on a reasonable table...making the 6 is more possible....
...and you don't lose every time you don't make it.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The 3 railer may not have been available. I don’t remeber the exact layout of the 8 and 9 ball. I was focused on the 6 and 7 mostly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The 3 railer may not have been available. I don’t remeber the exact layout of the 8 and 9 ball. I was focused on the 6 and 7 mostly.

In that case, the kick safe off the short rail may not have been available either?

Can you give me some details on the virtual table?....it is excellent

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that case, the kick safe off the short rail may not have been available either?

Can you give me some details on the virtual table?....it is excellent

No, the kick safe wasn’t an option from the nearby short rail. The table is from the iPhone Draw Shot app.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have observed and been told, it is simply because they are playing by feel. If you watch the top players, they will usually go two rails over one rail. And, when they have to go one rail only, they miscalculate far more often than one would think they would.

I think that this is simply because of two things-

1. They don't shoot one-railers with no english, so they become harder to judge if you also don't know the general rules for how english will react off a rail.

2. They only know one method or even less on how to quickly and accurately aim one railers, and have to rely on judgement.

Using english on most shots, they are more familiar with how the ball will return off two rails with english, than one rail with no english. Simply put, they go with their strength, even though it may not be the best option on paper. (not talking about the OP's shot here.)

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for the replies, good stuff! I'll try to remember to post a link to the video once it's posted to Youtube.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
The ball is "bigger" when going 2 rails (even if 3 rails is available, 2 rails is easier). 3-cushion billiards teaches you this. If you look at the layout (assuming that this WAS the exact layout for Shane), you have nearly a diamond and a half of rail to hit and still contact the 6, PLUS the ability to hit the 6 directly off one rail if your 2-rail kick goes bad and you misjudge. Your margin for error on a 2-rail kick is VERY high with 2 rails, MUCH higher than if going 3.