straight pool 3 foul role

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in my straight pool league last nite when the following situation came up. After being on 2 fouls I tried a safe shot but unfortunately scratched. I know it costs me 15 points, but I was under the impression that I had to rerack and do a break shot. My opponent said that he had the option of taking ball in hand behind the line. I tried to google it on phone. the 15 ball penalty came up, but no mention of what happens after.

Thanks,
Craig

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
he was correct.

The incoming player has a choice... accepting the table in position with the cue ball in hand behind the head string, or having all 15 balls re-racked and requiring the player that fouled break with the same rules as the opening break

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in my straight pool league last nite when the following situation came up. After being on 2 fouls I tried a safe shot but unfortunately scratched. I know it costs me 15 points, but I was under the impression that I had to rerack and do a break shot. My opponent said that he had the option of taking ball in hand behind the line. I tried to google it on phone. the 15 ball penalty came up, but no mention of what happens after.

Thanks,
Craig

He has the option of not re racking the balls and playing the next shot from where the cue ball lies after your failed safe attempt. However, if you third failed safe attempt resulted in the cue ball being pocketed or leaving the table entirely, then he can place the cue ball anywhere behind the headstring and can shoot at any ball forward of the headstring without re racking the balls. he can also choose a full rerack of all 15 balls and you then must break according to the opening break rules.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
he was correct.

The incoming player has a choice... accepting the table in position with the cue ball in hand behind the head string, or having all 15 balls re-racked and requiring the player that fouled break with the same rules as the opening break

No -- there used to be a choice, but not for quite a few years now (at least in the WPA world-standardized rules and in the CSI rules). The player who committed the 3 successive fouls must re-break all 15 balls under opening break requirements.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
welp

there you have it...

No -- there used to be a choice, but not for quite a few years now (at least in the WPA world-standardized rules and in the CSI rules). The player who committed the 3 successive fouls must re-break all 15 balls under opening break requirements.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he was correct.

This is incorrect. It's an automatic rerack and offending player breaks.
This rule was changed some years back. At one time the incoming player had the option but it was to accept the table as it lay not to get BIH behind the line.
That was never an option.
You have a choice in the event of an illegal break but not 3 fouls.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanx, AtLarge...I was getting confused...
..I've always played total re-rack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is incorrect. It's an automatic rerack and offending player breaks.
This rule was changed some years back. At one time the incoming player had the option but it was to accept the table as it lay not to get BIH behind the line.
That was never an option.
You have a choice in the event of an illegal break but not 3 fouls.

The history of three-foul rule has been discussed before. 50 years ago it was the same as today -- mandatory re-rack and break. In between someone thought they would "fix" the rule and put in an option. I think it may have been to avoid the following situation:

The player is on two fouls. He shoots a hard cut shot that misses and the cue ball breaks the rack wide open leaving 8 easy shots. A ball is rolling back towards him, slowly. He stays in position on the table until the ball hits him. "Oops, that's three. Rack'em up."

The correct rule to apply to that situation is unsportsmanlike conduct. If I'm the ref, he loses the match.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW. It's a 18 teen ball foul. Add the 3 fouls and then - the 15 balls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW. It's a 18 teen ball foul. Add the 3 fouls and then - the 15 balls. Correct me if I'm wrong.
-1 on the first foul, -1 on the second foul, -1 plus -15 (-16) on the 3rd foul. All totaled between the 3 fouls, it is -18, but not -18 on the third foul alone.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

-1 on the first foul, -1 on the second foul, -1 plus -15 (-16) on the 3rd foul. All totaled between the 3 fouls, it is -18, but not -18 on the third foul alone.

I've always played a three-foul as a total of 17 in the hole...
...doesn't seem right to add on an extra foul for the third one...that's double jeopardy.

..at nine ball, doesn't matter how many infractions you make on one shot...
...it's ONE ball in hand.

Hopefully, an expert will come along and clarify....BOB!!!!!!!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always played a three-foul as a total of 17 in the hole...
...doesn't seem right to add on an extra foul for the third one...that's double jeopardy.

..at nine ball, doesn't matter how many infractions you make on one shot...
...it's ONE ball in hand.

Hopefully, an expert will come along and clarify....BOB!!!!!!!
BCA 14.1 rules - a point is subtracted for the 3rd foul, plus another 15 for a total of -16 for the 3rd foul.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCA 14.1 rules - a point is subtracted for the 3rd foul, plus another 15 for a total of -16 for the 3rd foul.
That's the way it's been for a long, long time. A total of -18 for the 3 consecutive shots.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Three ball foul 1.jpg
    Three ball foul 1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Three ball foul 2.jpg
    Three ball foul 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 224

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Rules have changed since that book was published, I'm pretty sure.
If you knock an object ball off the table, it is now a foul.

Not to doubt, you could be right. But, I think the old three ball foul is still the standard, which was the discussion.

But, do you recall, in either the 1989 or 1992 US Straight pool tournament, Chicago in 1989, and New York in 1992, the three ball foul was 30 points, rather than 15. I think it was 1992.

Love trivia.

All the best,
WW