Thinking about using Velocity Pro

tablepro

Im thinking about recovering 12 of my GC3s with the Velocity Pro cloth. The info I got says its 89% wool, which is the same as Simones 860. Plus, this stuff is way, way cheaper, and I can't even hardly tell the difference between my sample and the 860 Ive been using. Any thoughts?

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our shop has been using it since it came out. It's a little stretchier than Simonis but not by much.

I've never played on it except for throwing balls around it on the table when I finished a job. I say it rolls about the same as Simonis.

With the price break in it I'd say go for it and give it a try. It might work out or it might not. If anything you could do half in Simonis and Half in Velocity and compare the wear. If the Velocity wears the same then go with the Velocity from then on. That way you can save a bunch of money overtime. If not then you are out some money but you know you aren't wasting money by not getting Simonis.

Dartman

Silver Member
tablepro said:
Im thinking about recovering 12 of my GC3s with the Velocity Pro cloth. The info I got says its 89% wool, which is the same as Simones 860. Plus, this stuff is way, way cheaper, and I can't even hardly tell the difference between my sample and the 860 Ive been using. Any thoughts?
You made the same post in Talk to a Mechanic so I'll copy my reply here also.
Simonis 860 is 90% wool and heavier then Velocity which is 85% wool (appx 21oz). The performance features are comparable in lab testing however Velocity is new to the market (Feb 07) while Simonis has been around for a long, long time. Installed on a table it is hard to tell the difference between the 2 because the finish and grain is almost identical.
Velocity is considerably less expensive but due to its newness it would be prudent to test it out on 1 or 2 tables first. I think 6 months from now we will all have a better read on it in terms of durability and real life performance. The initial response to Velocity has been very good but a this point in time we're not ready to push it as an alternative to Simonis - rather, we pitch it as an upgrade from woolen cloths such as Titan, Ultra and Forstmann.
Top shelf billiard cloth is about quality and performance which has been proven by Simonis. This is not to say that Velocity won't prove to play in the same ballpark but it's too new to make that claim.

Last edited:

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bought 2 tables worth here and will install after our 8-ball tourney this weekend. It looks very good. I will leave a review as I am sure I will do my fair share of playing on this cloth as I am installing it on my main table. I am unhappy lately with the way simonis is wearing. I was going to go with tour edition but I will give this a try. As Dartman said time will tell here as to how it wears compared to simonis. The price is great and the quality as far as looks go is very good. Let ya know soon:D

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Velocity

We have had this on our Snooker table in our room for 3 months. And I can tell you this , it hold color much better than Simonas.
The play is much faster after initail break in. We use Hodges to clean it since it was new.
It is a little more elastic than others , but in my opinion m it is a much better wearing cloth than Simonas. I have Simonas on my 9 foot national and it is only a month or so older cloth than my Snooker table cloth , and the snooker table still is as green as it was the day we put it on , and shows little wear compared to my 9 footer.
And yes , our snooker table see's a lot of play.
So I would recommend Velocity to anyone out their as a room owner because of it's durability and playability.
Not to mention , it's fast as hell!
Hope this helps,
Jim

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Velocity cloth

Here is a pic of the 2 tables comparing the color. The table closest to you is the snooker with the velocity cloth after 3 months of play. The table farthest from you id the National 9 foot with Simonas. Notice the color on the snooker is much better , and the 9 footer was done with Siimonas about a month before.
Just trying to help,
Jim

Attachments

• 100_7311 (Medium).JPG
    100_7311 (Medium).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 3,291

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Sorry bout that , the snooker table is closest to the window , and the 9 footer is closest to you in the pic and is the black table.
Late nights at the room , what can I say..........

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Thanks for the review J&D , been following this thread waiting to see some reviews myself.

Dartman

Silver Member
J&D CUSTOMS said:
So I would recommend Velocity to anyone out their as a room owner because of it's durability and playability.
Velocity has been on the market since Feb 07. I think any comments on its durability are premature right now. Don't get me wrong - we sell it and believe it is a good product but we also think it needs a little time to develop some honest history before calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Good that you posted a photo however it's hard to see much detail of the 9 footer. Take separate photos if you intend to show comparisons. Further, and this is IMO, I doubt the snooker table gets as much play (and wear) as the 9 footer. For a true read on wear the tables need equal play.

It's interesting - I'm starting to see more and more of somewhat negative comments about Simonis lately (specifically that it wears too fast). Considering that the climate and conditions vary from room to room my suggestion as a test for what's best for you is to pick 3 tables next to each other and install Simonis, Tour Edition and Velocity. Monitor these 3 tables for 6 months (wear and playability) and from that point on you'll know which cloth is best for your operation if you choose to use a worsted cloth.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just installed a table in a highrise today. This is the 3rd pool table we have put into this place. One pool table is used constantly. We average replacing Simonis felt on it 3times a year. And when we do replace their felt it is pretty much unplayable.

But today on the new table we installed we put Velocity Pro-green (Simonis Green) on a table. We should be able to tell you very quickly how this stuff holds up. If it lasts 4 months here then it should last about a year at a bar.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Manufacturer

Could someone tell me who manufactures this Velocity. I have always used Tour Edition. The reason being, Simonis just will not hold up. I am about ready to cover two of my table and am always looking for something better.

Thanks
Billy_k

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
billy-ks said:
Could someone tell me who manufactures this Velocity. I have always used Tour Edition. The reason being, Simonis just will not hold up. I am about ready to cover two of my table and am always looking for something better.

Thanks
Billy_k

Probably give Dartman in above post a PM as e surely will have the info you want.

Dartman

Silver Member
billy-ks said:
Could someone tell me who manufactures this Velocity. I have always used Tour Edition. The reason being, Simonis just will not hold up. I am about ready to cover two of my table and am always looking for something better. Thanks Billy_k

Velocity is mfg by The Level Best and made in China. You can see some details at the > Level Best Website

I think those here that have it will tell you it plays comparably to Simonis but its only been on the market since Feb 07 so a bit early to give it a grade on durability. At this point in time I could not say it's better then Simonis or TE 3030 but it is less expensive then both of those.

tablepro

Velocity Update

I ended up calling the Velocity people and spoke with Christa, who is their cloth sales lady. She told me the Velocity is 88% wool and 12% nylon at 20 oz weight. She also explained about some sort of wear test done at a lab over 100,000 cycles on 860 and Velocity both. There was only a 3% difference in weight loss from wear between the two over the 100,000 cycles. I was sold and ordered the cloth -- waiting for my service guy to install.

By the way, their recording says that they are owned by the same people that own Aramith now, and they're called Armand Billiards Group. They have all of the Aramith stuff.

Dartman

Silver Member
Magill Lab did the testing. The wool/nylon rating as tested is 85/15 for Velocity, 89/11 for Simonis 860.
Ounce weight per square yard is 10.88 for Velocity, 12.4 for Simonis 860.
As I've stated in many posts it's too early for a true read on the durability of Velocity since it's only been on the market for 4 months.
Comparative durability is based on lab testing - not commercial playing conditions.
Many complain that Simonis wears out too fast so if you compare Velocity to Simonis what does that tell you.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any feedback on...

simonis vs the tour edition??

Which lasts longer, plays faster, is more durable, looks better longer, is more easily installed?

I have 760 now (about 10 years old) and am ready for a change. Exploring options for a home table.

td

gmillioni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
velocity pro worsted cloth

years ago there were many posts from persons and/or rooms who installed velocity pro cloth on their table/s. however i have not seen those posts with a response evaluating the cloth after six months to a year of use. and were they satisfied enough that they reinstalled it. would like to hear some up to date comments specifically stating why they like or dont like about that cloth.

Dartman

Silver Member
years ago there were many posts from persons and/or rooms who installed velocity pro cloth on their table/s. however i have not seen those posts with a response evaluating the cloth after six months to a year of use. and were they satisfied enough that they reinstalled it. would like to hear some up to date comments specifically stating why they like or dont like about that cloth.

Velocity Pro was discontinued around 2 -3 years ago.