Poor performance in my matches
Old
  (#1)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Poor performance in my matches - 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Need some advice from the pros and instructors here! Been shooting for 3 years now and also this my 3rd year in the local 8 ball league. I practice every chance I get, working on drills, stroke, pre shot routine and basically all the fundamentals that go with that.
Iím finally improving in every aspect of it. My problem is during competition Iím missing easy shots, canít visual easy run outs, even losing matches with 2 balls left with ball in hand. Iíd say I shoot at about 50% of my skill level during my matches. It doesnít happen every match but enough that Iím asking for help. I really enjoy pool! Its very frustrating however, when your making balls and even running a few racks from time to time at home and then canít carry that over during competition! Iím sure itís some sort of anxiety / nerves issue. So my question is does this go away with experience? Is this a common thing amongst beginners? Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, mike

Old
  (#2)
BasementDweller
AzB Silver Member
BasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond reputeBasementDweller has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Hey Mike,

We've all been there.

Check out this nice thread that for some reason ended up in the Aiming Forum: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=457150

Lots of good insight on this issue can be found in that one.

Old
  (#3)
SFC9ball
JimBaker PBIA Instructor

SFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond reputeSFC9ball has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2017, 08:46 AM

I would have to say there are 2 main things that stick out:

1. You are putting too much pressure on yourself to perform.
2. You lack confidence.

There could be other issues here too but these are the big one for sure.

There are many books on the mental aspects of the game. A couple I would recommend are The inner game of tennis, Play great pool by Mark Wilson. They cover a lot of information on why we under perform in competition. There is also You Tube videos that cover this topic as well.

Jim Baker
PBIA Advanced Instructor
(573) 433-0386
E-mail: 1jbcuerepair@gmail.com

Old
  (#4)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member
Mike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond reputeMike81 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDweller View Post
Hey Mike,

We've all been there.

Check out this nice thread that for some reason ended up in the Aiming Forum: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=457150

Lots of good insight on this issue can be found in that one.

Thank you. Good to hear Iím not alone.
Great advice in this thread you posted!

Old
  (#5)
Mike81
AzB Silver Member

12-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC9ball View Post
I would have to say there are 2 main things that stick out:

1. You are putting too much pressure on yourself to perform.
2. You lack confidence.

There could be other issues here too but these are the big one for sure.

There are many books on the mental aspects of the game. A couple I would recommend are The inner game of tennis, Play great pool by Mark Wilson. They cover a lot of information on why we under perform in competition. There is also You Tube videos that cover this topic as well.

Your correct in both points. I put lots of pressure on myself. I hate to lose! Also donít want to let the team down! I will check these books out also, thanks you.

Old
  (#6)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

12-21-2017, 10:31 AM

This should help. Joe W. is a poster here. http://billiards.colostate.edu/PBRev...ve_Anxiety.htm

http://billiards.colostate.edu/PBRev...al_Control.pdf

Old
  (#7)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Need some advice from the pros and instructors here! Been shooting for 3 years now and also this my 3rd year in the local 8 ball league. I practice every chance I get, working on drills, stroke, pre shot routine and basically all the fundamentals that go with that.
Iím finally improving in every aspect of it. My problem is during competition Iím missing easy shots, canít visual easy run outs, even losing matches with 2 balls left with ball in hand. Iíd say I shoot at about 50% of my skill level during my matches. It doesnít happen every match but enough that Iím asking for help. I really enjoy pool! Its very frustrating however, when your making balls and even running a few racks from time to time at home and then canít carry that over during competition! Iím sure itís some sort of anxiety / nerves issue. So my question is does this go away with experience? Is this a common thing amongst beginners? Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me solve this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you, mike
Actually, most competitors have this problem. Only a few don't. Most amateur players can expect to lose a minimum of 30 percent of their game in competition.

Suggestion: Study sports psychology in other sports. They are much more advanced in other sports where there's a lot more at stake in prize money. The mentality is the same. The only thing different is the sport.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#8)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Your correct in both points. I put lots of pressure on myself. I hate to lose! Also donít want to let the team down! I will check these books out also, thanks you.
You may be thinking about the outcome of the game or match, rather than focusing on the shot in front of you. Focus on each shot and the match will take care of itself.

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#9)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

12-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Two things that help me in this area are:
1. Play a LOT more, especially in competition. Familiarity does bring comfort.
2. Realize everyone misses shots and makes mistakes. It isn't necessarily that you miss the 8 ball any more than the 4 ball, you just remember it more. The other guy misses too. Missing is part of the game and everyone does it. You are probably just as likely to miss the first ball of a run out as the last but your expectation builds as you get close to the end.

Old
  (#10)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
01-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Actually, most competitors have this problem. Only a few don't. Most amateur players can expect to lose a minimum of 30 percent of their game in competition.

Suggestion: Study sports psychology in other sports. They are much more advanced in other sports where there's a lot more at stake in prize money. The mentality is the same. The only thing different is the sport.
Good advice - very good.

Happy new Year Fran

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: