billiards stroke vs pool stroke

cuecademy

Registered
I mostly play pool, but I've played a little 3 cushion and I've watched my fair in person and online.

I noticed while watching 3 cushion that billiards players typically have very short bridges/strokes vs pool players. Does anyone know why this is? Does it help achieve more spin or is it more about accuracy?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
More strength to not miscue when you want really outter extreme English , more accurate not to deflect as much also

Plus, it's just different
Carom games are just more complex in what needs to be done than pool game
Your not only playing for cueball position, but object ball positioning as well

There's all kinds of punchy, snappy wrist action type of shots for all kinds of situations,all kinds of different speed you want to put on the cueball

Especially for the classic games 1 cushion balkline and libre
In libre you don't use more than a 2 inch bridge when the balls are close,
2-4 inch bridge in classic games most of the time

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's all kinds of punchy, snappy wrist action type of shots for all kinds of situations,all kinds of different speed you want to put on the cueball
There are some very strong players who feel that all shots can be made with the same mechanics. There are others who teach a dozen or more techniques. By the evidence of tournament results, the fancy stuff is not required.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
We are all wired and interpret things differently
Nothing is set in stone as this has to be done like that

It's like the players that only use the diamond system with only number 2 English
Why limit yourself, there's an unlimited amount of ways to play these games

Watch Marco zanetti, real punchy stroke these days
Watch one cushion
I play these games daily and use all kinds of hits,
You can't use a slow long follow through on everything, once I started jabbing and hitting a bit harder, I noticed how the ball reacted differently off the rail

But I'm just a feel player who can't learn to use systems

Has nothing to do with being fancy, it's just what works for you

Everything is variable in billiards

Last edited:

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoppe in his book for the shots that he shows he does tell you the length of the bridge and tells you to slightly elevate on some shots etc.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Simplicity is a beautiful thing, and I'm all for it

It's funny, because these games are beautiful, but no matter how they appear
They are anything but simple to play

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to get off the subject but I have noticed that 3 cushion players use a more "curled finger closed bridge" (for lack of a better way to describe what I am seeing) while the closed bridge for pocket billiards seems a little more upright and rigid.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, one of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten in my pool/billiards career was from both Mazin and Hugo, where at separate times they both exemplified the importance of pushing through the cue ball with a smooth follow through (not length, but re-acceleration). Having two pros say the same thing at different times made it stick.

Since then I've studied this very subject and the results have manifested themselves into Follow-thru and Finesse measurements in the new DigiCue BLUE.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I always thought that the difference in strokes between pool and 3c had to do with the speed of the cloth???