Izz 3 cushion billiard in usa oifficiaolly dead

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS IS JUST A POLL.....I WANT YES OR NO ANSWERS.....talking philosophy or bull shit on this thread not allowed. Please answer all the questions.

Billiards is DEAD in this country and has no hope of resurrection? Y or N

Billiards is DEAD in this country but might be resurrected, some day, some how? Y or N

Should USBA dollars be spent on players prize money rather than spend the same money to try to promote the game? Y or N

Is it really important that we send our "national champion" to play in SA or UMB shit when while they represent this country as the gentlemen they are they have no real chance against the Euro's decling powers and the emerging Asian powers? Could not we use our money more judiciously?

IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER OF THE USBA YOU HAVE ABOUT A WEEK TO JOIN SO YOU CAN VOTE IN THE UPCOMING ELECTION.....you are either on the bus or tossed off of it....that is your choice based on your behavior and your choices......I HOPE YOU CHOOSE WISELY

dENNIS dIECKMAN

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Azb doesn't allow me to just answer like i did below so i have to type something like this so you can see my answers.

this is just a poll.....i want yes or no answers.....talking philosophy or bull shit on this thread not allowed. Please answer all the questions.

Billiards is dead in this country and has no hope of resurrection? Y or n
nearly

billiards is dead in this country but might be resurrected, some day, some how? Y or n
yes

should usba dollars be spent on players prize money rather than spend the same money to try to promote the game? Y or n
need clarification on who is a player?

is it really important that we send our "national champion" to play in sa or umb shit when while they represent this country as the gentlemen they are they have no real chance against the euro's decling powers and the emerging asian powers? Could not we use our money more judiciously?
get the point but hate to see no us representation.

if you are not a member of the usba you have about a week to join so you can vote in the upcoming election.....you are either on the bus or tossed off of it....that is your choice based on your behavior and your choices......i hope you choose wisely

dennis dieckman

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS IS JUST A POLL.....I WANT YES OR NO ANSWERS.....talking philosophy or bull shit on this thread not allowed. Please answer all the questions.

Billiards is DEAD in this country and has no hope of resurrection? Y or N

Billiards is DEAD in this country but might be resurrected, some day, some how? Y or N

Should USBA dollars be spent on players prize money rather than spend the same money to try to promote the game? Y or N

Is it really important that we send our "national champion" to play in SA or UMB shit when while they represent this country as the gentlemen they are they have no real chance against the Euro's decling powers and the emerging Asian powers? Could not we use our money more judiciously?

IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER OF THE USBA YOU HAVE ABOUT A WEEK TO JOIN SO YOU CAN VOTE IN THE UPCOMING ELECTION.....you are either on the bus or tossed off of it....that is your choice based on your behavior and your choices......I HOPE YOU CHOOSE WISELY

dENNIS dIECKMAN

I wouldn't give the USBA a plugged nickel, so I guess I am tossed off the bus. Nevertheless I will continue to play and enjoy the game without your approval.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't give the USBA a plugged nickel, so I guess I am tossed off the bus. Nevertheless I will continue to play and enjoy the game without your approval.

THIS ATTITUDE IS WHY CAROMS IS DEAD. Oh yeah, so you like to get on a table and play with your local billiard buddies, and every day another one dies, and by the way we have never thought to introduce young players to the game, so now there are not so many players and whose fault is that. HOW MANY STUDENTS HAVE YOU TAUGHT OVER THE YEARS????

You know i don't know who you are, where you play at, but get your fat ass out there and start teaching some youngsters the joy of the game before it is too late. Now if these words offend you so be it, but the USBA has more people working to try to resurrect the game than ever in its history and it sounds like you were never on the bus in the first place, so tossing you off is irrelevant.

SIMPLY PLAYING AND ENJOYING THE GAME IS NOT ENOUGH.....so go off and play a few games with your billiard buddies, if you are lucky enough to have a table to play on, and any buddies and please don't waste your precious table time on teaching and introducing younger players to the game, that would be asking too much i am sure.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS ATTITUDE IS WHY CAROMS IS DEAD. Oh yeah, so you like to get on a table and play with your local billiard buddies, and every day another one dies, and by the way we have never thought to introduce young players to the game, so now there are not so many players and whose fault is that. HOW MANY STUDENTS HAVE YOU TAUGHT OVER THE YEARS????

You know i don't know who you are, where you play at, but get your fat ass out there and start teaching some youngsters the joy of the game before it is too late. Now if these words offend you so be it, but the USBA has more people working to try to resurrect the game than ever in its history and it sounds like you were never on the bus in the first place, so tossing you off is irrelevant.

SIMPLY PLAYING AND ENJOYING THE GAME IS NOT ENOUGH.....so go off and play a few games with your billiard buddies, if you are lucky enough to have a table to play on, and any buddies and please don't waste your precious table time on teaching and introducing younger players to the game, that would be asking too much i am sure.

You are right. Insulting people and being a complete A-hole online is a much better plan for growing the game.

PS: 3C was dead in the US long before I was ever introduced to the game. It is OK to play a dead game.

Last edited:

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I literally BEG my pool friends to play with me. Sometimes I get a yes. Then they find out how hard it is and I think I lose 'em.
Anytime I'm playing and I get someone watching and wondering I take the time to explain what little I know. I even invite them to hit 'em around a little bit with me. Again sometimes I get a taker
I've had an idea for awhile, I'll throw it out there. Iowa has several 'State' pool tournaments a year. Wouldn't it be cool to to put a billiard table up at those venues? There are hundreds of players milling around. I'm sure at least a few would get bitten by the 3C bug.
I'm short on specifics but would be glad to help in any way. Anybody think it would work?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Won't hurt to try

And as you say they see how hard it is and get discouraged??

THAT'S WHAT I BEEN SAYING
you cannot think showing the most complex game right up front will hook people like , seemingly easier games could

Start all newbe caromers with straight rail, please!!!
Challenge them, say sounds easy right
?

Just touch the other balls with yours, now see howany you can run

Show them 1 cushion,
Pretty straight forward games that are challenging, but just not so dang complex and very easy to understand

Give them options

Don't just throw the mother of all billiard games at them right up front, it's too discouraging

Start with straight rail
Then 1 cushion
Then 3,

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You all want to grow a super hard game by introducing pool player's

Pool player's that many play super quick easy games on small tables, kind if games where you smack a rack of balls and if one ball drops they win

These people need options, a little bit simpler ease into Carom

CAROM BILLIARDS IS NOT JUST 3 CUSHION

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haden't thought of it that way. You are correct. Maybe the 'simpler' games would be a better starting point.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I literally BEG my pool friends to play with me. Sometimes I get a yes. Then they find out how hard it is and I think I lose 'em.
Anytime I'm playing and I get someone watching and wondering I take the time to explain what little I know. I even invite them to hit 'em around a little bit with me. Again sometimes I get a taker
I've had an idea for awhile, I'll throw it out there. Iowa has several 'State' pool tournaments a year. Wouldn't it be cool to to put a billiard table up at those venues? There are hundreds of players milling around. I'm sure at least a few would get bitten by the 3C bug.
I'm short on specifics but would be glad to help in any way. Anybody think it would work?

Your idea is, has, and will continue to be tried. Professor-Q-Ball has been bringing tables to the Super Billiard Expo for several years now. Yura always runs some kind of challenge match, race to 5, and there's always a time slot for introducing kids and other pool players. Yura donates his time and money for this event.

Yura just finished up at the US Open 9Ball Tournament where I see he got some young boys to try it out. He also got some volunteers from the AZB Crowd. Big thanks goes out to them.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=462655
Again, Yura donated not only time and money, he brought the table from his warehouse.

This is what Dennis is talking about. Not just griping about no players or tables. Doing something, will be required.

Lastly Dennis Dieckman has been supporting these events as well as tournaments for decades, playing, sponsoring players, sponsoring kids, mentoring, chaperoning at Worlds Junior Championships, donating cues, and cash donations. He comes off strong, but he's standing in a strong, solid position. he's in the trenches still and just squeezed off a couple rounds.

BTW there's been discussions surrounding Iowa Pool Tournaments. Des Moines and possibly Waterloo. We just can't seem to hook up with the people in charge of these tournaments. Inquiries have been made from both sides. Direct contact has never happened.

Another thought is to invite one of the top players to say Big Dogs for Exhibition and Clinic. Of course I would think you'd have to make the travel expense a little more palatable if not take care of it entirely. Go around the room and see if there's interest in a few hours lesson. Decent chance it can be arranged.

Last edited:

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me know if there is anything I can do. I live just outside of Des Moines, commute there to work.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your idea is, has, and will continue to be tried. Professor-Q-Ball has been bringing tables to the Super Billiard Expo for several years now. Yura always runs some kind of challenge match, race to 5, and there's always a time slot for introducing kids and other pool players. Yura donates his time and money for this event.

Yura just finished up at the US Open 9Ball Tournament where I see he got some young boys to try it out. He also got some volunteers from the AZB Crowd. Big thanks goes out to them.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=462655
Again, Yura donated not only time and money, he brought the table from his warehouse.

This is what Dennis is talking about. Not just griping about no players or tables. Doing something, will be required.

Lastly Dennis Dieckman has been supporting these events as well as tournaments for decades, playing, sponsoring players, sponsoring kids, mentoring, chaperoning at Worlds Junior Championships, donating cues, and cash donations. He comes off strong, but he's standing in a strong, solid position. he's in the trenches still and just squeezed off a couple rounds.

BTW there's been discussions surrounding Iowa Pool Tournaments. Des Moines and possibly Waterloo. We just can't seem to hook up with the people in charge of these tournaments. Inquiries have been made from both sides. Direct contact has never happened.

Another thought is to invite one of the top players to say Big Dogs for Exhibition and Clinic. Of course I would think you'd have to make the travel expense a little more palatable if not take care of it entirely. Go around the room and see if there's interest in a few hours lesson. Decent chance it can be arranged.

When i squeeze of a round i have learned over they years that ONE WILL do if it is well aimed......and quite frankly i preferred 20 mike-mike, CBU's, napalm for troops in contact or 750 pounders with delayed action fuses for "suspected" bunker complexes and if you got some secondaries it was just icing on the cake.......

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't hurt to try

And as you say they see how hard it is and get discouraged??

THAT'S WHAT I BEEN SAYING
you cannot think showing the most complex game right up front will hook people like , seemingly easier games could

Start all newbe caromers with straight rail, please!!!
Challenge them, say sounds easy right
?

Just touch the other balls with yours, now see howany you can run

Show them 1 cushion,
Pretty straight forward games that are challenging, but just not so dang complex and very easy to understand

Give them options

Don't just throw the mother of all billiard games at them right up front, it's too discouraging

Start with straight rail
Then 1 cushion
Then 3,

DUH....START WITH THE SIMPLE GAMES..... NAY WITH JUST ONE BALL ON THE TABLE NOT EVEN THREE....ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS I HAVE MET HAVE TOLD THAT THEIR FIRST TEACHER ONLY LET THEM USE ONE BALL.....AND THEN TWO.......and finally three balls but only need make a free carom not three cushion yet.....and this requires training young player from an early age and probably ruining their lives......so yes it is a quandery

Also i have looked in may dictionaries and am still unsure of what "beneath the sur means" I understand the concept of being below something but and not really what "sur" means......please enlighten me.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
DUH....START WITH THE SIMPLE GAMES..... NAY WITH JUST ONE BALL ON THE TABLE NOT EVEN THREE....ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS I HAVE MET HAVE TOLD THAT THEIR FIRST TEACHER ONLY LET THEM USE ONE BALL.....AND THEN TWO.......and finally three balls but only need make a free carom not three cushion yet.....and this requires training young player from an early age and probably ruining their lives......so yes it is a quandery

Also i have looked in may dictionaries and am still unsure of what "beneath the sur means" I understand the concept of being below something but and not really what "sur" means......please enlighten me.

It Means nothing

I was typing beneath the surface
Ran out of letters and hit enter before looking!

I'm cooking up something here in Houston for Carom awareness/outreach ,
It will be something that people around the country can model and expand on/add too

more on that later

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost cause. These people need IQs. Most of them are too stupid to play 3-C.

Sorry. I'm not buying that one. I was introduced to 3 cushion at the age of 16. I played pool but there was a 3 cushion table in the poolroom so I played once in a while.

In my current poolroom, 50 years later, I play about 4 hours of 3 cushion a week. I love the game but I am mainly a pool player.

The games are similar. They are both about seeing angles, where to land your cue ball on the rail, the speed you need, and what english in what amount.

Lately other pool players are wanting to play with me and learn the game. Invariably, the better the pool player, the quicker they pick 3 cushion up.

I am learning the nuances of the game but I think, like pool, the more you understand about the game the finer the nuances get.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want all players to be exposed to every billiard game there is. If I owned a billiard room I would have one of every type of billiards table I could find: snooker, pool 9' and 7', carom, bumper pool, russian billiards, blackball, bar billiards, and anything else. I want players to have a broad skill set, not a narrow focus.

I'll be buying a full sized Gabriels carom table for my home, and I expect that all of my friends are gonna love carom games, especially playing around with spin and ball control on a heated table. I want to use the new DigiCue BLUE as a tool to show pool players how powerful the follow though required in carom strokes is. Maybe I'll make a video on this.

Tons of things are unpopular (ex. dead) that are brilliant and wonderful. If I met someone who's hobby was coopering, sconce making, metallurgy or jai alai, I would be ecstatic to learn more about those interesting activities.