Draw for show, follow for the dough?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't know about you guys, but I'm drawing for my dough, that's for sure. Ok, 3 cushion and big ball bar box excluded, but still.

I'm going to assume that the player in question has a decent stroke and is not a beginner, also that modern conditions apply. No "rag" cushions or rug cloth. There is a huge difference between a C player draw stroke and that of a better player. We'll assume that the player in question knows how to get action with a soft stroke.

1. Draw minimizes throw. That may seem like a theoretical point, but it really isn't. Who hasn't seen a cut shot turn and wobble in the pocket because of follow? Hit a cut shot with draw, and not only will it throw less, it virtually guaranteees that the object ball will travel straight as well.

2. Draw "cuts off the table" minimizing cueball travel and rail contact. Extremely important in these times of "pinball cushions" and ultra fast cloths. Once you touch that rail, god knows what will happen. With draw, typically the cushion contacts are softer than typical follow shots, which have more cueball speed at cushion contact.

3. Draw lets you see the whole ball, thus making aiming easier. Again, seems minor, but it really isn't.

4. Draw makes it easy to kill the ball.It will let you shoot fairly firm, ensuring straight travel, yet have a low speed at the impact time.

5. Who wants to shoot power follow shots? Seriously, how often do you see top players do that when there is even a hint of a different option? They are the toughest shots in pool.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if i have to cinch the game ball i may put alittle draw on it
why
it puts alittle follow on the object ball at collision to start it rolling whereas follow drives the object ball into the slate alittle
so to me draw gives a "cleaner " hit
icbw
just want to learn
your CONSTRUCTIVE comments always appreciated

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Draw minimizes throw. That may seem like a theoretical point, but it really isn't. Who hasn't seen a cut shot turn and wobble in the pocket because of follow? Hit a cut shot with draw, and not only will it throw less, it virtually guaranteees that the object ball will travel straight as well.

You're oversimplifying the affect of throw. Ironically, more speed produces less throw. It's all about angle, speed and spin. I believe most players focus on spin (not draw) to negate the affect of throw.

2. Draw "cuts off the table" minimizing cueball travel and rail contact. Extremely important in these times of "pinball cushions" and ultra fast cloths. Once you touch that rail, god knows what will happen. With draw, typically the cushion contacts are softer than typical follow shots, which have more cueball speed at cushion contact.

This is an interesting point. I believe it's this "rail contact" that allow draw shots off the rail to have a smaller rebound angle.

3. Draw lets you see the whole ball, thus making aiming easier. Again, seems minor, but it really isn't.

I'm assuming you mean that the bridge hand is lower for draw shots, which reveals more CB while down on a shot. I agree.

4. Draw makes it easy to kill the ball.It will let you shoot fairly firm, ensuring straight travel, yet have a low speed at the impact time.

Draw is the only way to do a kill shot, unless your kicking off the rail, which requires the reverse.

5. Who wants to shoot power follow shots? Seriously, how often do you see top players do that when there is even a hint of a different option? They are the toughest shots in pool.

Don't sleep on the force follow shot! Force follow is a great way to perfect one's stroke. Force follow can be just as pretty as a well executed draw shot, especially if it's done for perfect positioning. I want to be equally proficient in both draw and follow shots, including extreme draw and force follow shots.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl and Shane force follow a bunch.If I have bih and it's placement depends on follow or draw I find follow the more consistant option.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls are round and designed to roll. Easier to master before taking on draw. More consistent.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an old video of parica from the 80’s that was posted a few months back. He was using draw on almost all the shots. Rarely going forward, even when that looked like a good option. His style of play really stuck out to me.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was asked once which one I use more, or which one I am better at, follow or draw. I

answered it depends on where the cue ball needs to go. That answer that was given gave

me the opportunity to learn from an advance player when I was younger. He not only agreed,

but took time to help develop what areas my game was missing...I might need another lesson.

Why limit yourself to play with only on half of the ball? Practice all shots, all speeds, and all spins...

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an old video of parica from the 80’s that was posted a few months back. He was using draw on almost all the shots. Rarely going forward, even when that looked like a good option. His style of play really stuck out to me.

are you referring to earl? oh never mind-parica. it's early.
earl does this a lot.

for force follow my fave to watch is mika.

Last edited:

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love all the comments so far. A+

More than cue ball control, perfect pool is about self control.
Being an old 14.1 player, I can apply a follow stroke to break
balls loose from clusters or for position on a very tough run-out.
Making the right decision at the right time, makes a winner.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally don't recommend "systems", but in this case I will. Relative to the OP's original post, I would insert Wiley's "Touch of Inside" in almost every one of the scenarios identified and the result would be almost the same. I don't necessarily think the cueball will "stun" off of a cushion as slowly using just draw, but when you add the inside, it makes a more noticeable difference. All of this in my personal experience and my preferred position choices.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play with a woman that played on Womans Tour. I noticed quickly that she used follow much more often than I would have.

As she was also coaching me some, I asked why, and she said that it was the ball is rolling forward and using follow was more accurate.

I find that when I bank, the object ball seems to act more "pure" coming off the rail using follow than a ball when I used draw. I try to use center ball as much as possible on banks. Using draw on bank shot is my last resort.

My tip for my AZ brothers. When I practice at home, I play a game with myself like this. If I am shooting a shot that I would normally use draw, I make myself use follow. If I am shooting a shot that I would normally use follow, I try to get shape by drawing the ball. I know it sounds kinda silly, but it forces you to try new things instead of just shooting it everytime the same way. This has taught me quite a bit IMO, and the result I shoot more with follow than most. :cool:

Ken

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
About a year ago I noticed how much more pros follow and come off the rail, way more than I did.

I've always said, the rail is your best friend.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
For ball in hand shots, I will follow 90% of the time. The rest of the time I do what is needed I guess, haha.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
For lesser skilled and/or experienced players, I've found that most can do one better than the other, so they rely on that even when the other may be the better option. I'm guilty of this, as well. (The lesser skilled category, heh.)

Follow came easier to me than executing a draw shot close to properly. I have folks that I play with that can draw with ease, and struggle to hit a follow shot.

Like others have said, in a ball in hand situation, I'll go with the follow option a great majority of the time.

islandboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use draw the majority of times when pocketing balls and some variation when playing shape.

Unlike some players, I have a lot of confidence using draw to control distance, angles, speed and action. There are so many subtle things you can do by blending draw into your stroke.

It's not a conscious thing, but I'm very comfortable using draw, and it's become a big part of my game.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
If I need pin point accuracy for the cash FOLLOW is the right choice unless you are mad at your money! :grin-square:

There are always exceptions to this rule,

Yes I can draw my ball! (that is the shot when you hit below center and hard right :confused:)

As they say "those that cant do TEACH"

I hope everyone has a great day.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
When playing position if I have a choice between the 2 it will almost always be follow. With fast cloth it is very easy to over draw, especially when trying to hit a narrow window. Probably the worst thing to happen to me is becoming capable of drawing the cue ball easily, so often I go too far. 1 foot or less isnt bad but those "tweener" shots where you dont need max draw to break a ball out have become inconsistent for me. It seems like the QB always trickles 6" too far on fast (normal now) cloth. When just pocketing balls I will often hit the QB below center but I wouldnt call it a full fledged draw shot.