Comment from Danny Dilaberto

Run the Century

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny made a comment tonight in the finals of the Derby City 9 ball that the cue balls "glances" more the harder the cue ball is hit into it because it "gains weight" (the object ball). Mark Wilson asked him to elaborate and Danny said he has studied physics for years and it absolutely gains weight.

I have always thought as long as the cue ball is sliding at the moment of impact that the cue ball with deflect at a line of 90 degrees from the tangent line. If the cue ball has natural roll it deflects less (about 30 degrees) from the tangent line.

I'll defer to Danny's knowledge over mine but I am curious to know if anybody can elaborate on Danny's comment. I study physics a little and I know that at very high velocities (close to the speed of light) an object will gain mass but at speeds people hit balls around this is negligible. Regardless Danny was talking about the object ball not the cue ball.

How would an object ball know how fast a cue ball is approaching? How does it "gain weight".

If Dr. Dave reads this I would love an explanation.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
All I know about physics I have learned from getting some form of injury or scar but it sounds to me like Danny is drunk.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
if you cross-ref to the Bigfoot matches commentary, and the Cyclop jewel-toned balls -

- IT'S ALL HAPPENNING....

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
All I know about physics I have learned from getting some form of injury or scar but it sounds to me like Danny is drunk.

I thought he was joking, but drunk seems to make sense too. Mark Wilson was kind to humor him.

I love Danny but his commentary was really bad this year.

Please, Lord, don't let the guy drive a car...

Last edited:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Well I will see if I can do a little explaining here. The case that Danny mentions refers to something called special relativity and how it relates mass to kinetic energy. Special Relativity is mostly concerned with the energy of an object as it approaches the speed of light. So at the very low speeds that a pool ball is travelling there is no change in it's actual mass. An object travelling near the speed of light have a change in relativistic mass, but it will be very minute. I hope this makes sense. I tried to explain it some without going into too much detail that is very boring.

I laughed when Danny made this reference during the stream. I also laughed when Mark asked if the ball gains weight since weight and mass are actually two different things.

Danny made a comment tonight in the finals of the Derby City 9 ball that the cue balls "glances" more the harder the cue ball is hit into it because it "gains weight" (the object ball). Mark Wilson asked him to elaborate and Danny said he has studied physics for years and it absolutely gains weight.

I have always thought as long as the cue ball is sliding at the moment of impact that the cue ball with deflect at a line of 90 degrees from the tangent line. If the cue ball has natural roll it deflects less (about 30 degrees) from the tangent line.

I'll defer to Danny's knowledge over mine but I am curious to know if anybody can elaborate on Danny's comment. I study physics a little and I know that at very high velocities (close to the speed of light) an object will gain mass but at speeds people hit balls around this is negligible. Regardless Danny was talking about the object ball not the cue ball.

How would an object ball know how fast a cue ball is approaching? How does it "gain weight".

If Dr. Dave reads this I would love an explanation.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very familiar with Danny D *Speak*. He talks in abstracts and metaphors. I, for one, like what he says and does. There is meaning behind all of it and is worth while examining.

I am in no way sure what he means here but I am going to take a shot at this one.

My guess: The object ball appears to act heavier because the harder the cue ball is hit, the sharper the angle of deflection. The object ball appears to be more and more immoveable (and seems to be heavier) the harder the cue ball is hit evidenced by the cue ball reaction after contact.

I do not take Danny D in a literal sense.

Last edited:

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I think his playing and knowledge of 1P is great, I too think he was either drunk or just getting too old to do the job anymore. He talks about how a ball won't go and if the shooter shoots this shot he is crazy and then the shooter shoots the shot makes the ball and he will say" I guess it does go".---Smitty

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I think his playing and knowledge of 1P is great, I too think he was either drunk or just getting too old to do the job anymore. He talks about how a ball won't go and if the shooter shoots this shot he is crazy and then the shooter shoots the shot makes the ball and he will say" I guess it does go".<--He does this all the time !---Smitty

I don't know how you can classify Danny's knowledge of one pocket, as "great" !...His shot selection is usually
laughable..as is his commentary !.. In fact, whoever is in the booth with him, often wonders aloud, what the hell he
is talking about !...He rarely knows (or seems to care) what the ball score is..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you agree that at slower speeds balls tend to cling together. Then at faster speeds they tend to "glance" more.

The "gaining weight" theory, I don't believe was used in the right context here. But he is not the only one that has a rough time putting in to words, what he believes to take place at a pool table.

Last edited:

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I've heard the term "lost its weight" applied in 3-cushion. A spinning ball will skid along a fairly linear path until losing its weight when the spin then causes the ball to curve slightly.

The harder you hit a ball, typically, the longer it maintains this "weight" and travels true to its intended line. The ball's actual weight never changes, but its behavior seems more resistant to the affects of spin and felt friction as force increases... acting as if it had more weight.

Even drunk, I take Danny's commentary over anybody else's...though in this case, I'm not sure that had anything to do with his assessment.

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny made a comment tonight in the finals of the Derby City 9 ball that the cue balls "glances" more the harder the cue ball is hit into it because it "gains weight" (the object ball).

I wasn't on the stream, and I don't know the physics of the object ball gaining weight, but from what you say about the cue ball glancing more as you hit it harder, I would imagine he's talking about the cueball's tendency to follow the tangent line for a longer distance before top or bottom spin take effect on cut shots. When you cut a ball softly with a lot of top spin, the spin will take effect much sooner, as opposed to hitting it harder where the "curve" is wider.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wasn't on the stream, and I don't know the physics of the object ball gaining weight, but from what you say about the cue ball glancing more as you hit it harder, I would imagine he's talking about the cueball's tendency to follow the tangent line for a longer distance before top or bottom spin take effect on cut shots. When you cut a ball softly with a lot of top spin, the spin will take effect much sooner, as opposed to hitting it harder where the "curve" is wider.

thats how i would i would take his comment also

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one pocket commentary is subjective
the angles appear different from the booth than they do on the table
and as anywhere else,the results of a shot can surprise and humble the best

danny and billy are a little combative at time
but i personally enjoy the banter

it would be hard to find someone to do a better job

as far as the balls getting heavier,its hard to understand
but that is nothing compared to how the pockets get smaller on my turns

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly

Thank you. This is what he meant and it's good knowledge among good pool players. Us lesser pool players did not know this.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
The commentary was very rough this year, I think it is time to replace Danny with someone else in the booth. I do not want to sound mean but he was confused by which balls were which and that can be given a pass but a ball set should have been in the booth for them to refer to so they know what number is what. The biggest things I heard Danny do continuously was in one pocket calling selections for the wrong pocket and at times he would confuse peoples names, I am not talking once or twice as a mistake either.

There were many and I mean many shots he called or selected that had no chance of going at all or he would say that someone was hooked when they were not. His co-commentators did a great job though of being nice and trying to help Danny out. I do appreciate Danny and all his commentary over the years but sadly it is time for him to hang it up I believe. Get Jeremy Jones in the booth when he is not playing and maybe Scott Frost or some new blood.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I will see if I can do a little explaining here. The case that Danny mentions refers to something called special relativity and how it relates mass to kinetic energy. Special Relativity is mostly concerned with the energy of an object as it approaches the speed of light. So at the very low speeds that a pool ball is travelling there is no change in it's actual mass. An object travelling near the speed of light have a change in relativistic mass, but it will be very minute. I hope this makes sense. I tried to explain it some without going into too much detail that is very boring.

I laughed when Danny made this reference during the stream. I also laughed when Mark asked if the ball gains weight since weight and mass are actually two different things.

Huh. If this *is* what Danny was talking about, do you reckon he also is aware that people have traveled through time?

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny was good in 9 Ball also. In one of the MPBT Tour stops in 1989 he beat Mike Segal when Mike was still in his prime. His time was up long time ago. Should be retired from the Booth.