Playing with a (70') cue "THE MAGIC WAND"

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland, Shane Van Boening, Stevie Moor and Steve Mizerak, all are champions. They all have one other factor in common. They all play or played with extra long cues!!!

Earl's long cue about (70'). Shane's long cue (65'). Stevie's long cue about (70'). Mizerak (in one of his book on pool he stated he used a (36') shaft) if I remembered correctly. That would have made his cue (65') long.

Earl and Shane both with long cues:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83NHdMQgRE

Stevie's long cue:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eFiUI7oufo

I've been playing 14.1 with a (70") cue for about a month. It's a whole new ball game.
It changes the shot making and cue ball control in a dramatic way to the positive.
The longer cue seem to slow down my stroke and make speed control and cue ball positioning very more predictable. Also, dealing with longer shot making seems effortless. I added (21) ball to my high run score.

If you're interested, I applied something I heard John Schmidt say in a youtube video.
I did what he did, I slipped a (15") extension wand from my Eureka Vacuum onto my (58") cue. This added just under (12") to the length and (4oz) to the weight. I stuffed some bubble wrap into the end of the wand to kill the sound.

When asked about his extra long cue, after a match Earl said "......I know stuff about this game that the average pro will never comprehend.....".

Try it. It transforms your cue into a "MAGIC WAND"

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried both ways and both were great. I tried a 61'' cue that felt weird for a
few minutes then felt my stroke felt very clean and I played well.
I also tried a shorter cue and had great results as well. My stroke felt more
compact and had great success as well.
If the balance is right with any cue it will feel comfortable even with Earls
cue / pole vault:smile:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget that SVB, Earl Strickland , Jason Shaw ....became great playing with standard cues and than they started to use extensions. Their talent that's what made them to become champions). And did you see SVB and Jason Shaw using longer cues playing Chinese 8-ball for example?
I used to play with the extension but there is a reason behind it. I'm 6,5 foots tall and standard cue is a little bit too short for me of course. After playing many years with my 60" long Prather cue I made 7" extension for it and played with that some time. But 67" and 22,7 oz seemed to be too much. That is why I decided to build the cue myself which is just comfortable for me http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154.
I think for many people it is more in their head what makes them believe longer cues can make them much better players.

Last edited:

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and what about the tip diameter used for this champions?

The large probably is because they hve to follow through the cue ball..

all posion pool cues which are 13 mm tip has 29' of shaft lenght and 29' of butt lenght. 58' of total lenght.

Probably the larger and tinner the cue is, the better you have to play. It would be more difficult using a larger cue?

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mizerak (in one of his book on pool he stated he used a (36') shaft) if I remembered correctly. That would have made his cue (65') long.

I am a big Miz fan.

You got any pics of him shooting with a 65 inch cue?