Insanity & Improving

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading on a Facebook post about this and it got me to thinking. What I am talking about is people practicing the same thing. So, there's a couple of old sayings that I'd like to mention here.

First, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Second, If you always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got.

I've told some people that I am pretty close to being a really good player. But I cant get over that hump, cant get to the next level. So, when I practice - long story short here - I usually work on fundamentals/mechanics, speed control, pocketing routine shots, and working on some shots/position that I have missed recently.

In other words, I have been doing the same thing for years. I've always been doing what I've always done. Is this the problem? If it is, then what should I work on? I mean, what else is there?

r/DCP

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading on a Facebook post about this and it got me to thinking. What I am talking about is people practicing the same thing. So, there's a couple of old sayings that I'd like to mention here.

First, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Second, If you always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got.

I've told some people that I am pretty close to being a really good player. But I cant get over that hump, cant get to the next level. So, when I practice - long story short here - I usually work on fundamentals/mechanics, speed control, pocketing routine shots, and working on some shots/position that I have missed recently.

In other words, I have been doing the same thing for years. I've always been doing what I've always done. Is this the problem? If it is, then what should I work on? I mean, what else is there?

r/DCP

A friend a shoot with every week said the same thing. He said "I just don't feel like I'm getting any better" and he is a good player.

I said to him, "your going to have to step out of your comfort zone and work on shots or position routines that are very difficult or next to impossible. Start practicing shooting with your other hand for starters."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDCLYNzZ8LQ
and the video after the above.

Hang in there. :)

John

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How often do you play other people? If you're not getting out playing against players better than you, you not only have no real idea if you're getting any better as you have no true gauge to measure yourself but you also need competition to improve.

You are practicing but are you really practicing on the right things? You don't think you're getting any better, then what aspects of the game are holding you back? Making shots, CB control, etc.? Are you absolutely certain your stroke is near perfect?

Since you're no where near an A level player, it means you have tons of room for improvement. I would bet money your stroke is nowhere near as good as you think it is and that is limiting the effectiveness of your other practice.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

There is "sweet spot" for learning, for training your brain to associate visuals, feel/muscle memory, etc... If you're practicing fairly routine stuff, easy stuff that you can consistently perform better than 80% of the time, you're not challenging or pushing your brain to develop higher skill levels. On the other hand, if you're practicing stuff that is near impossible to execute properly, you are doing more harm than good because your brain isn't getting enough successful or positive feedback to build upon.

The sweet spot is to practice things that you can successfully do at least 40 to 50% of the time. Practice with a goal to increase this to 80% consistency. Then pick something else. Your overall consistency, the combination of using your various learned skills, will get better as you regularly play, but finding that sweet spot is a great way to quickly program/develop your brain.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try shelving your routine drills for now and just focus on fixing the errors you make in game play. Definitely play more games against real people and pay attention to how you lose games.

That's how you get better --- by fixing one mistake at a time.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is "sweet spot" for learning, for training your brain to associate visuals, feel/muscle memory, etc... If you're practicing fairly routine stuff, easy stuff that you can consistently perform better than 80% of the time, you're not challenging or pushing your brain to develop higher skill levels. On the other hand, if you're practicing stuff that is near impossible to execute properly, you are doing more harm than good because your brain isn't getting enough successful or positive feedback to build upon.

The sweet spot is to practice things that you can successfully do at least 40 to 50% of the time. Practice with a goal to increase this to 80% consistency. Then pick something else. Your overall consistency, the combination of using your various learned skills, will get better as you regularly play, but finding that sweet spot is a great way to quickly program/develop your brain.

Words of wisdom here. You need repetitive practice to develop muscle memory but one problem is that the part of your brain involved in muscle memory doesn't have the ability to distinguish between what's right or wrong. So if the imput it receives is too varied then confusion is present and impedes progress.
Nobcitypools point about stroke issues is also very good. Your stroke probably needs work. Post a video if possible.
If you're not an A player then your stroke is almost certain to be a big part of the problem. Even a lot of A players have stroke issues.
One book that could be of benefit is Mark Wilsons "Play great pool". Expensive but worth every penny and then some.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Getting over the hump.

r/DCP

What got me over the hump was lessons from a very good teacher that forced me to go back to the basics and rebuild my foundation.

Before that I had read and studied everything I could get my hands on. I had lots of knowledge of aspects of pool but had built my game piecemeal from lots of sources. I had overlooked the importance of the foundation. I thought I was ready for one pocket lessons. He gave me six weeks of rebuilding from the ground up. A one hour lesson each week with me practicing an hour a day between lessons to lock in that weeks lesson and build upon the previous lessons.

The educated eye of a good instructor can find things you never noticed. They can accelerate your learning exponentially. The instructor can evaluate your progress and guide you at the fastest possible rate.

If you have tried lessons and it did not help, try again with another coach/teacher.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Talk about prophetic! :yikes: :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

How often do you play other people? If you're not getting out playing against players better than you, you not only have no real idea if you're getting any better as you have no true gauge to measure yourself but you also need competition to improve.

You are practicing but are you really practicing on the right things? You don't think you're getting any better, then what aspects of the game are holding you back? Making shots, CB control, etc.? Are you absolutely certain your stroke is near perfect?

Since you're no where near an A level player, it means you have tons of room for improvement. I would bet money your stroke is nowhere near as good as you think it is and that is limiting the effectiveness of your other practice.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gregcantrell...Mike doesn't have access to an instructor, to do something regularly like you (he'd have to drive several hours each way). Plus...you took instruction with an OPEN MIND, and FOLLOWED THE ADVICE OF THE TEACHER. Mike can't do that, because it doesn't "jive" with what he thinks is important. He's gotten good instruction from several excellent instructors. It's not the instructor...:shakehead:

Scott Lee

What got me over the hump was lessons from a very good teacher that forced me to go back to the basics and rebuild my foundation.

Before that I had read and studied everything I could get my hands on. I had lots of knowledge of aspects of pool but had built my game piecemeal from lots of sources. I had overlooked the importance of the foundation. I thought I was ready for one pocket lessons. He gave me six weeks of rebuilding from the ground up. A one hour lesson each week with me practicing an hour a day between lessons to lock in that weeks lesson and build upon the previous lessons.

The educated eye of a good instructor can find things you never noticed. They can accelerate your learning exponentially. The instructor can evaluate your progress and guide you at the fastest possible rate.

If you have tried lessons and it did not help, try again with another coach/teacher.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gregcantrell...Mike doesn't have access to an instructor, to do something regularly like you (he'd have to drive several hours each way). Plus...you took instruction with an OPEN MIND, and FOLLOWED THE ADVICE OF THE TEACHER. Mike can't do that, because it doesn't "jive" with what he thinks is important. He's gotten good instruction from several excellent instructors. It's not the instructor...:shakehead:

Scott Lee

I agree here Scott. For the most part, but not all. I do have an instructor about an hour away that I am thinking about contacting again. Maybe I am still doing the same thing.

But, anyway, as far as being open minded - AND I'VE REPEATED THIS A HUNDRED TIMES ON THIS FORUM - I still do things I learned from each and every instructor I have ever had. That includes you too Scott.

And you might be right, its not the instructor. Its probably me. I've probably gotten as good as I am going to ever get. But, as Winston Churchill said at the height of WWII - Never give up, never give up, never give up.

I intend to keep trying. In the meantime, all I have to work on is what I've always worked on.

r/Mike

Last edited: