Cloth stretch index.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a proper method of finding out what the stretch is on different cloths. We recently had a mechanic redo our tables with 860hr. He said the proper index was 2.5 to 3.0 inches. They now play super fast ( almost to fast ). My question is there a way of determining the stretch index of cloths other than 860hr. For instance if you were useing a woolen off brand cloth how could you figure this out.
Thank YOu

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is there a proper method of finding out what the stretch is on different cloths. We recently had a mechanic redo our tables with 860hr. He said the proper index was 2.5 to 3.0 inches. They now play super fast ( almost to fast ). My question is there a way of determining the stretch index of cloths other than 860hr. For instance if you were useing a woolen off brand cloth how could you figure this out.
Thank YOu

There is no way in hell your mechanic stretched Simonis 860hr 2 1/2"-3"....LMAO

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank YOu

Stretch indexing the cloth works for all cloth made, the explanation is in the Simonis installation DVDs.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
On a 9ft, i stretch the cloth 1 3/4" side to side, starting at the side pockets, stretching towards the ends at the same time. And trust me, no one in this business installs the cloth tighter than i do.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen, Correct me if I'm. I watched him lay the cloth with 1 inch overhang on one side. Then he scribed the other side. Laying the 1 inch side over the scribed side he used a 4 inch roller and applied the glue. After glueing down the 1 inch side, he then pulled the other side to the end of the glue line. Does that not give him a 3 inch stretch?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
You can get 2-1/2 to 3" with Simonis 860, but definitely not with 860HR..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This was definitely 860hr. I watched then put it on 9 tables

When laying out the glue, you roll it on the cloth folded over for both sides. The only way to get that much stretch is to over stretch it sise to side, which resultes in loose cloth end to end. If the stretch wasn't pre-measured and marked out then you really have no idea how tight it was pulled.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I didn't say that it would be pretty, but it can be done.

While you can get 3" of stretch out of 860, I don't think you could out of 860HR.

That's my point, max stretch and working stretch is 3/4" less. If a cloth is installed at its maximum stretch, the end to end stretch suffers and shows up loose end to end later on, but not side to side.

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
glue

When laying out the glue, you roll it on the cloth folded over for both sides. The only way to get that much stretch is to over stretch it sise to side, which resultes in loose cloth end to end. If the stretch wasn't pre-measured and marked out then you really have no idea how tight it was pulled.

Is glue used on tables when the slate is resting on top of wood?

Thanks

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think thats the way RKC does all of his tables. I bought his Simonis installation DVD when I did my wood backed Gold Crown and glued the cloth.

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
glue or staples

Are there more mechanics that want to comment glue vs staples?

I am curious as to why the last time my table was recovered, that staples were used for the Simonis.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Glue vs Staples:

Glue Pros-
Allows a much tighter stretch
Consistent bond all around the edge of the slate
Can be done on any table (staples require a backer board)

Glue Cons-
Takes longer to install
More expensive than staples
Strong fumes in the home / pool room
Tighter stretch increases the likelyhood of stretch shadows. Worsted cloth must be indexed and stretched precisely to avoid shadowing.

Glue is definitely the better way to install the bed cloth, IMO. Unfortunately, not many installers use that method due to lack of training, cost of the glue, and time required to do a quality job.

BigAlTheTiger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glue vs Staples:

Glue Pros-
Allows a much tighter stretch
Consistent bond all around the edge of the slate
Can be done on any table (staples require a backer board)

Glue Cons-
Takes longer to install
More expensive than staples
Strong fumes in the home / pool room
Tighter stretch increases the likelyhood of stretch shadows. Worsted cloth must be indexed and stretched precisely to avoid shadowing.

Glue is definitely the better way to install the bed cloth, IMO. Unfortunately, not many installers use that method due to lack of training, cost of the glue, and time required to do a quality job.

JZ, what is that on your table in your picture? A level? Thanks for your response.