Tiger Onyx Vs Tiger Sniper Tips

whatevrdoumean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking to replace my tip. I shoot with a OB 131 cue with OB1+ shaft. I cant decide between the Tiger Sniper or the Tiger Onyx tip. Right now the shaft still has the Tiger Everest tip on it. I also have the OB Classic + shaft with a Kamui Black Med tip. I figured out I preferred the softer OB1 + shaft to the stiffer Classic + shaft. Looking to try something else besides the Kamui Med tip. Anyone that has shot with both tips using an OB1 + shaft please describe your experience. Also if you use a OB1+ shaft what tips do you use besides the 2 I listed. Thanks Michael

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I have an OB2 with a Zan medium on it. Plays great. I had an Onyx on my Tiger X Pro, hated it. Never tried the Sniper though.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with your decision. I am trying to figure out if I like a 314/2 shaft that I bought at the expo. The one certainty is the Everest tip is horrible. Debating about putting on a Ki-tech (S/MS/M) or the new Morri-J.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Onyx very much. Great tip on a 314-2.
I will be looking for something else though.

When I bought my first Onyx, they were $12.95 at seyberts. Now they are $23.90.
The only change was MAP pricing.

I am NOT paying 24 bucks for a friggin piece of leather. Not happening. Done.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive played with both onyx and sniper, I also played with tiger normal tip.

in my opinion onyx is a very good tip, it feels somewhat closer to kamui and the new products, but personally I just like sniper more, sniper is a very good tip in my opinion and I prefer it more than onyx just slightly though.

I also liked tiger if i wanted something harder, tiger feels just like the old moori for me, but for me the best where i felt most comfortable is sniper out of all 3 tiger tips that I used.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had a Onyx tip put on a Z-2 shaft, I had been using a Killer for many years. But I really like the Onyx.---Smitty

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Onyx but I also agree that Tom Hay's Ultraskin medium is just as good for about 1/10th the price. If I had to choose between the Sniper and the Onyx I would take the Onyx.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the Onyx tip, that and Wizards are my favorite tips these days. They are good, firm feeling tips that provide good feedback and consistent performance.

I really dislike Everest (lots of miscues with that one) and Ultraskins (always feels dead to me, have tried various harness on different cues, never liked the feel of one).

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with the Onyx tip and it is a medium hardness and lasts forever. It is one of the best tips I have ever used. I does not harden like a lot of tips as it wears down.

I have them put on at the factory in Burbank. Tiger makes the tips. They are not some license given out to a Chinese factory. You can walk through the factory and see all the hides they use in their leather products.

I think their shafts are first rate too.

MalibuMike

Banned
Onyx or Sniper?

Looking to replace my tip. I shoot with a OB 131 cue with OB1+ shaft. I cant decide between the Tiger Sniper or the Tiger Onyx tip. Right now the shaft still has the Tiger Everest tip on it. I also have the OB Classic + shaft with a Kamui Black Med tip. I figured out I preferred the softer OB1 + shaft to the stiffer Classic + shaft. Looking to try something else besides the Kamui Med tip. Anyone that has shot with both tips using an OB1 + shaft please describe your experience. Also if you use a OB1+ shaft what tips do you use besides the 2 I listed. Thanks Michael

They are both awesome tips and actually I have found they play pretty much the same, the only difference being cosmetic. If I was going to change anything it would be that OB "Plus" to the Tiger Pro-X! Tigers shafts are some of the best on the market, the Pr0-X being Awesome!

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget the Onyx, too many miscues and high maintenance. Even the Everest is better but a pressed triangle has it all.