Working with laminated shafts

JC

Coos Cues
Pie shaped laminate. Cut it smooth with router and then when I go to finish sand, seal and burnish it because the glue lines are harder than the wood the shaft has high spots at the lam lines you can feel spinning on the lathe as lumpy and out of round. You don't notice it much with the shaft stationary in hand but if you know they are there you can feel it. Apparently the wood compresses slightly and the glue lines do not when burnishing. No matter how gently I sand it I can't seem to get rid of these. It seems more pronounced as the wood gets larger toward the joint.

Does anyone have advice on how to work with these?

Thanks,

JC

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I wouldn't burnish them. The heat can't be good for the glue. The laminated pieces are also all edge grain. I'm not sure why they that, but that's what they do. IMO, it would be smoother and cleaner to use face grain pieces, but then it would show the glue lines. With edge grain, the glue lines disappear in the grain. Regardless, it is what it is. I would avoid burnishing. Sand it smooth & wax it. The pressure and heat from burnishing is probably what's giving you grief.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Block sand while it's spinning. Little to no pressure. Let the grit cut the peaks.
Don't burnish, it will restrict sealer from entering the wood.

Also, if your paper is worn-out it's doing it's own burnishing.

HTHs, KJ

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using a good sealer after grain sanding with 320, maybe even a couple of times and then sanding with the fine stuff before any wax and burnish helps a lot.