Schmelke (custom) Purple Heart Break Shaft Cue

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this is my first cue that I have had specially made. It is a Purple Heart Shaft w/ Maple Butt and Purple Irish Linen wrap. The tip is Ultraskin Heavy Hitter. It weighs 19 oz ( same as my player). It's actually a "true" 13mm I compared it to my normal player and it's obviously slightly larger than my normal player. The Shaft is right at 29 inches and it has about a 12 inch taper by my measurement. Total length is right at 58 1/2

B35lS6F.jpg

atg29Jx.jpg

After reading reviews of purple heart break shafts here I really loved the look of purple heart and wanted to buy one as a graduation gift to myself. I gotta say I really love this cue and so do my friends. I worked with David at Schmelke who really set me up with just an amazing deal with the price on this ( around 130 total, 140 with shipping took 2 1/2 weeks to get to me).

I really didn't like the splice purple heart they were offering so they were able to do a black stained maple butt with the purple Irish linen wrap.l also didn't really like phenolic tips and they were able to put a Ultraskin on it which was really great.

I am not a great amazing breaker which is kind of why I bought this. I also have tried out 25 oz sticks that friends have and just really didn't like the weight so 19 oz was what I went with because I usually break with a bar cue at 19 oz. Also after reading up on articles written by Dr. Dave on weight and acceleration I was really firmly in the "Yea, from a physics standpoint that makes sense".

How does it hit?

It hits kind of soft actually really similar to my player which really surprised me. I would have thought it'd have a heavier hit or more impact. I can really feel the connection though on the tip and it really seems to grip the ball. I think this may be because of the Maple Butt and the Ultraskin Tip ( I am definitely going to be getting their players tip for my normal cue).. It breaks fantastically. I really noticed a difference in my breaking ability and once I got use to it I was consistently pocketing on the break which was great.

How does it play?

Surprisingly well I used it during a game just as a player and found no problem with draw or follow. I thought it was going to be pingy but it wasn't it felt like using my player which I really liked.

Comparison with my friends 25 oz phenolic:

It felt better. Kind of hard to describe. It didn't have that ping sound really and I could actually play with it . I probably won't because I have my normal cue, but this really plays well. It broke about the same a little bit better for me because I don't like 25 oz cues and am not good with phenolic. I never miscued with this , but with the phenolic I did once or twice.

Only Odd thing :
I was very surprised that when I ordered this I was not immediately charged, I had not encountered that before in ordering. I did go ahead and let them charge me instead of when it was shipped that's about it and they were really friendly about it as well!!

Anyway I can't say enough about how great this thing is and for a price plus construction you can't beat it. You're also supporting a family owned business from what I understand so that's great as well.

Last edited: