advice and suggestions for a break cue?

callmemal

Registered
so far, i've been breaking with my spare playing cue, does a decent job, but i want to get a dedicated breaker. and where i am, there aren't any cue makers, so i'm going to get a production break cue. which would you guys recommend? a mezz power break, power break 2, power break pro, predator bk2, mcdermott stinger, j&j break cue?

thanks in advance for the input guys. cheers. :thumbup:

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member
I have the Mezz PB2 and PB1. Both have the same "Deep Impact" shaft, PB1 is full length, whereas PB2 is shorter. I have tried others including a few custom breakers, and I am pretty happy with PB2. PB1 is also great, but I like the fact I am able to hold from the end of the PB2 while breaking due to its shorter length.

My PB1 is for sale here if you are interested: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=234154

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Baxter

Do a search for Jim Baxter in the F/S section of AZB. He can set you up in a nice break cue for a little more than 200.00. Check out the one he built me and it can double as a player because it hits sweet.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,286

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
search the main forum for best break cue. you'll see multiple thread on the subject. then narrow it down to: price point, new or used, custom, type of tip: phenolic or leather. jump break or just break. wrap or wrapless.

whats wrong with your spare cue as a break cue? weight? tip? identify that and it would help. Ive been down the road of tryiong different break cues and Im going back to breaking with my playing cue. Ive gotten better results. no miscues, better cue ball control and more balls pocketed on the break

good luck on your search

jmoschgat

Be the ball, Danny.
Silver Member
TNT contact poolfool1957 i traded him for one and he may have another. if not contact KOINNKID. they're purpleheart and hit VERY hard. they have them stained black as well if you dont like the purple.

No Limit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a mezz break cue out not too long ago as someone at the pool hall I frequent had one and said I could try it out. I still prefer breaking with my McDermott sneaky with an I1 shaft. I also use it as my playing cue too.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bouska

so far, i've been breaking with my spare playing cue, does a decent job, but i want to get a dedicated breaker. and where i am, there aren't any cue makers, so i'm going to get a production break cue. which would you guys recommend? a mezz power break, power break 2, power break pro, predator bk2, mcdermott stinger, j&j break cue?

Joe Bouska, Amarillo Tx. I have broke with lots of peoples break cues and of course they all were better than a standard playing cue. The first older Mcdermott breakers were great. The Bouska breaker is somewhat odd. Shaft of Diamondwood? very dark. Unusual taper at the base and another unusual taper on the butt?!?! Hits like a freight train. I missed a used one here on AZ with G-10 pins for $200. Shame on me. Bought my friends because I told him I was interested first time I saw it. I think they are $275 new, don't quote me on that. I like things that are different and no one does what he does.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really depends on your skill level, what game you normally play, and your budget. I don't think a beginner or lower intermediate player would get much out of an expensive break cue. If you're a strong 9 ball player, a new BK 2 may be beneficial to your game. Many on this forum have been very complimentary of the J & J break jump cues. I recently bought one of the Kaiser-Sledgehammer knock-offs on Ebay, and it's awesome for the price.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If cash isn't an issue go with the mezz PB2 or a gilbert j/b. if you'd like to save some dough and just get a "get it done" break cue go with the J&J j/b. hands down best quality for the buck out there is the J&J

callmemal

Registered
i've seen lots of praises for the j&j, and also some negative comments, like it warps after a few months, which leaves me thinking. i want to get something that lasts for quite a long period of time.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've seen lots of praises for the j&j, and also some negative comments, like it warps after a few months, which leaves me thinking. i want to get something that lasts for quite a long period of time.

i bought a warped one (used, i knew it was warped) and broke and jumped with it for over 6 months. the only reason i don't still have it is someone borrowed it and liked how it broke and offered me more for it than i paid.

Nsane1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned a few break cues and for me Mike Gulyassy's Anvil J/B without the jump joint is an outstanding breaker. I had to special order it from Mike because I didn't want the jump joint, but it only took him a few weeks to build it for me.
Paul

Red Five

Registered

I've had my j&j for over a year now with no warping yet. Great value for a cue that hits like a freight train. Got mine on ebay for $50.