Top BEF Youth Players To Represent USA at WPA World 9-Ball Junior Championships

billiarded

BEF
Silver Member
The Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) has coordinated international travel and participation for six BEF pool players–including two girls and four boys from around the United States–who next week will compete in the WPA World 9-Ball Junior Championships at the Sauerland Stern Hotel in Willingen, Germany Dec 5-7.

Organized by the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) this year’s event features 32 junior players, 16 girls and 15 wheelchair athletes who will compete in the main event to be named world champion in the world’s best 9-ball pool competition. Entry for spectators is free during the entire event to be streamed online by Kozoom.com.

This year’s competitors represent six different states including California, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa and Kansas. “I’m proud to have the chance to play for the US and show the colors overseas,” says 17-year-old Los Angeles native Brendan Crockett. “We have a great group going, some for the first time, some of us have done this before, but I think we all be ready to play. I want to thank the Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) and the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) for the opportunity to go and match up with the best in the world.”

As in previous competitions this year promises top quality pool with plenty of drama and excitement and some surprises. The Denver-based staff of the Billiard Education Foundation salutes the six competitors this year and wishes them success.

Below is a list of the Junior Players representing the United States this year and some of their comments:

BRIANA MILLER (winner of girls 18 & under) | Allentown, PA

“I am going to go with a positive attitude and I hope to play for the gold. I have been practicing and playing in the JPNEWT Women’s tournaments to get prepared. I know the competition will be tough, but I am ready to go play my best.

APRIL LARSON (winner of girls 14 & under) | Farmington, Minnesota

“I have been practicing by playing on my weekly leagues and entering tournaments to get ready for Germany. I am so excited and honored that I get to represent the US by doing what I love, playing pool!

BRENDAN CROCKETT (runner-up of boys 18 & under) | Los Angeles, California

“I’m really pumped to go to Germany to represent the USA again. I know we have to work hard, the quality of the players, especially the Europeans, is very high, and they will be playing on their home turf. They were really tough last year in Poland. One thing that helps me focus and bear down is knowing that every player from every other country brings their ‘A’ game when it’s a match with one of the kids from the US.

CHAD BEHNKE (third place of boys 18 & under) | Farley, Iowa
Nicknamed “Cheddar”, Behnke loves tacos and snowboarding. More important, he has won 5 major titles including the Iowa State Championships twice and the ACS Midwest 8-Ball Masters Championship in 2011 and 2012.

BRADY BEHRMAN (4th place in boys 18 & under) | Albers, Illinois
Behrman’s favorite player is Darren Appleton but his true-life hero would be his father: “He’s the one who showed me everything I know about pool & life.” As a youngster he remembers “…going to my dad’s pool matches with my friend Gerry. It’s basically how I learned how to shoot.”

MANNY PEREZ (runner-up of boys 14 & under) | Kansas City, Kansas

Last summer at the Junior National 9-Ball Championships, 14-year-old Manny Perez went undefeated into the finals losing only one match against the eventual winner Zachary Hampton. This year Hampton declined to participate in Germany and Perez will represent this division.