Scruggs or Howard

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets say I (or you) had an opportunity to buy a Scruggs Plain-Jane or a Rick Howard PJ, both with two shafts

Which would you choose strictly as a player (with no thought of resale value)?

Is it a toss-up, flip a coin, or would you have a preference?

BPG24

Banned
I know I will get bashed for this, but it's hands down Rick Howard.

Scruggs may hold it's value better, but the hit that RH brings is unmatched in the $600 (PJ) range.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Jeff said:
Lets say I (or you) had an opportunity to buy a Scruggs Plain-Jane or a Rick Howard PJ, both with two shafts

Which would you choose strictly as a player (with no thought of resale value)?

Is it a toss-up, flip a coin, or would you have a preference?

What is the difference in purchase price? Or does that matter?

Not sure if there is a right answer ... I'd think people that likes DPK, SW type s of cues/hit would pick Howard PJ. I'm one of those so I'd pick Howard.

Scruggs can have more variables .. not sure if he's sticking primarily to radial pin or do 5/16x14SS.

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent hit a Scruggs, but I know you cant go wrong with the Howard as I've shot with one and it felt great. Great balance and shot very stiff. I picked it up after shooting with my Meucci's and it was like heaven:D

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would have to say Scruggs. Just because I`ve never hit with a Howard & I love my Scruggs Sneaky. Its got that stiff hit & well balance to it.

BPG24

Banned
Jazz said:

Not sure if there is a right answer ... I'd think people that likes DPK, SW type s of cues/hit would pick Howard PJ. I'm one of those so I'd pick Howard.

Scruggs can have more variables .. not sure if he's sticking primarily to radial pin or do 5/16x14SS.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. :)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit Or Resale

If you are looking for "HIT" and playablity this is a no brainer...HOWARD.

If you are looking for "RESALE" it is Scruggs again...no brainer.

Kinda amazing isnt it?

That is the problem.

Ken

zcat27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
If you are looking for "HIT" and playablity this is a no brainer...HOWARD.

If you are looking for "RESALE" it is Scruggs again...no brainer.

Kinda amazing isnt it?

That is the problem.

Ken

Couldn't have put it any better. Hands down a Howard!

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had both cues and I will say I will never have anything other than a Scruggs or Cochran cue.(Right now I have 3) They play better than any I have had in the past,Howard's included. He makes a nice cue, but better than a Scruggs, come on.

gforces1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree

Jazz said:

I personally like Ricks cues alot. If I could not get a SW I would get a Rick Howard. He can do magic with the balance point. I had a pj rick howard that was killer.

I like the Scruggs cues but I only like the fatter, 5/16 ss cues. I do not like the acme cues and the newer ones seemed to be thinner.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff, I just receive a pj Rick Howard [Thanks Zcat27], I have and play with a pj Scrugg. The Howard is hand down the best hit and feel of the two.

Addition I'm having a hard time deciding if the Howard will replace my Dieckman's Highend Pool Cue. Both are close in hit and feel.
Bob Watson

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are no stupid questions.

Buy both. I keep hearing about Rick's cues hit. It really pisses me off. Rick's work lately and for the last few years has been flawless. You never hear that!
Rick's cues deserve their dues. This thread is almost a backhanded slap to both cuemakers.
They are both friends of mine and I wish them both well.
If you can afford it buy a new cue. Both cuemakers cues literally just keep getting better. Buy what you like best. I too own both.
Nick :)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my intent

nick serdula said:
Buy both. I keep hearing about Rick's cues hit. It really pisses me off. Rick's work lately and for the last few years has been flawless. You never hear that!
Rick's cues deserve their dues. This thread is almost a backhanded slap to both cuemakers.
They are both friends of mine and I wish them both well.
If you can afford it buy a new cue. Both cuemakers cues literally just keep getting better. Buy what you like best. I too own both.

I bristle a little at this comment. I am a huge Rick Howard fan. I consider him a friend, and will tell you his cues hit great. Yes, his veneer work is excellent too, but the poster did not question his veneer work, he was questioning his "playablility".

I have owned several Scruggs cues, and wasnt dissappointed with his cues either. But my point, is this. For value, and playability, I defy anyone to show me a better playing cue for the money than a Rick Howard cue. I used to feel the same way about GILBERT cues, but now Gilberts are not cheap either.

BUT,,,,,I HAVE NITWITS WHO WILL STAND IN LINE TO PAY $400+ FOR TS SNEAKY PETE!!! :rolleyes: I think Scruggs cues hold their value better. I have sold both several times and I have seen it over and over.

DONT TELL ME I AM INSULTING RICK HOWARD, BECAUSE I AM NOT!!

Ken

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
Howard's

I'm assuming you mean Rick Howard and not Ron Howard.

Rick Howards cues consistently have a very smooth hit, unique among the cues I've had the pleasure to play with. I love em.

Also worth mentioning, most folks that try his cues really like the taper that Rick uses on his shafts.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know Ken

It just gets old and sometimes I would like to read how clean Rick's work is. His low end cues are a steal and his higher end work is very under rated. I have to agree with you and I have told him personally he should never make another break cue or sneakie and do higher end work exclusively. Probably at his shop while waiting for him to do something magic like change a joint out from steel to phenolic or ivory on a lower end cue to get the weight down. I rember him doing this to a snakewood Esperitu for me. He is amazing to watch once he gets going.