Bobby Hunter cues?

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear from some people who have had a Bobby Hunter cue. I no they are similar to a Cog, but I've never had a Cog either. So far in a flat faced joint I've had
Bluegrass, South West, Olney, Howard, Blackcreek
Tentitive list to try
Ed Young, Sugartree
Question is...should Bobby Hunter be on the list to try?
thanks-jeff

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Here's thread on Bobby Hunter cues

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=85722

Should Bobby Hunter cue be tried? IMHO, yes, it's very nice hitting cue but nothing like any of your cues you've tried. Many good players in northern California plays with Bobby Hunter cues but that may be partially due to the fact that he used to live in Carson City, Nevada.

But they are not "cheap" directly from Bob and do suffer some degree of devaluation in secondary market. Having said that I own 4 Bobby Hunter cues and sold one to a friend of mine.

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jazz said:
Here's thread on Bobby Hunter cues

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=85722

Should Bobby Hunter cue be tried? IMHO, yes, it's very nice hitting cue but nothing like any of your cues you've tried. Many good players in northern California plays with Bobby Hunter cues but that may be partially due to the fact that he used to live in Carson City, Nevada.

But they are not "cheap" directly from Bob and do suffer some degree of devaluation in secondary market. Having said that I own 4 Bobby Hunter cues and sold one to a friend of mine.
thanks for the input- I buy cues in search for the magic wand, not for profit. Of the cues I've tried, I would rank them totally different than most in terms of playability.
thanks-jeff

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have owned so far about 14 Bob Hunter cues he has made me 4 new ones in the past mostly fancy ones. All my plain ones I got used, they all hit the same he doesnt do anything different from one cue to another cue he builds all of them the same everytime.

Recently he made his personal cue with a piolited steel joint and he realy loves it. I just had him make me three titlelist conversion the traditional way piolited steel joint and I feel they play better then his flat faced phenolic jointed cues. I love how all my cues hit but right now I feel my newest one's hit the best so far.

Bob is very picky in the woods he use's and he holds his tolerances very strick for inlay's you wont see 1\16" gaps or filler around any of his inlay's.

Bob ask's for a small down or up front money and the rest when the cue is done very easy person to deal with in person or on the phone..

Craig

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
LOVE MY HUNTER CUE!
Great hit, great looks, overall playability is outstanding!
Although I have to admit, when I tried one of Craig's titleist conversions last weekend, I was supremely impressd. Could very easily be one of the top the playing cues I've ever held. Even better then the rest that he and I each own.
There are just not many out there that I would rather have in any price range......
And I have never seen an ugly Hunter. I don't think he knows how to build an ugly stick no matter how great it might play!

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc said:
This bobby hunter I use ended my search for my final cue. This is it.
What all have you tried? What did you like second best?
thanks-jeff

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hunter

I was just lucky enough to get a great deal on a plain Hunter players cue, so I will report my thoughts once I recieve the cue and take if out for a couple days of trial runs.

If it hits as stiff and as good as people are telling me, it might be one of the best deals I have ever gotten.

dakota

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have a nice B. hunter that belonged to tony chohan, it will be for sale within 2 weeks. 5 forward & 5 reverse ivory points

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
jasonlaus said:
I have a nice B. hunter that belonged to tony chohan, it will be for sale within 2 weeks. 5 forward & 5 reverse ivory points

ahhh.. you got the T-REX cue!!! I got AK-47 cue.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Better than the Hunter I have, just the Szambotti Craig has. It is freaky how well a Guz hits.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Jazz said:
I almost bought both. that AK has an incredible wrap, I have a pic of it on my cell was gonna have that wrap put on T-REX, but I'm selling everything but the SEARINGS & HALEYS. Narrowing my collection.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
jasonlaus said:
I almost bought both. that AK has an incredible wrap, I have a pic of it on my cell was gonna have that wrap put on T-REX, but I'm selling everything but the SEARINGS & HALEYS. Narrowing my collection.

I re-wrapped the AK-47 cue (lizard imprint) with real lizard wrap by Kenny Koo. Kenny also buffed the finish of the cue. I got the cue from Jeff G. and told him that Amar can get the cue back from me anytime he wants, at my cost.

GoldRush cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bobby makes one of the finest hitting cues you will ever find. his craftsmanship is second to none. what ive always loved about his cues is they do what you ask of them on a consistant basis. thats what its all about , consistency. from your list of previously owned cues, you owe it to yourself to atleast try one. kevin mcclain

dakota

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hunter

I was lucky enough to purchase a very basic Hunter players cue from masonh and I am very impressed with the cue! The shaft is 4.15oz without any insert and the cue plays very stiff and very solid. The cue has excellent feel and although it has a very heavy shaft and stiff taper the cue still plays with relatively low deflection and moves the ball easily. The Hunter has a very unique hit and feel, but if I were to compare it to previous cues that I have owned I would say that the stiffness and the shaft taper are similiar to SouthWest or Mike Bender cues and yet slightly different. No whippy shaft on this one, it hits very solid and very true and moves the ball very nicely.

dakota

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Jazz said:
I re-wrapped the AK-47 cue (lizard imprint) with real lizard wrap by Kenny Koo. Kenny also buffed the finish of the cue. I got the cue from Jeff G. and told him that Amar can get the cue back from me anytime he wants, at my cost.
I bought mine from jeff also. have seen tony a few times & let him know i have the cue although it will probably get sold when i get home.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Except ...

dakota said:
I was lucky enough to purchase a very basic Hunter players cue from masonh and I am very impressed with the cue! The shaft is 4.15oz without any insert and the cue plays very stiff and very solid. The cue has excellent feel and although it has a very heavy shaft and stiff taper the cue still plays with relatively low deflection and moves the ball easily. The Hunter has a very unique hit and feel, but if I were to compare it to previous cues that I have owned I would say that the stiffness and the shaft taper are similiar to SouthWest or Mike Bender cues and yet slightly different. No whippy shaft on this one, it hits very solid and very true and moves the ball very nicely.

dakota

I think you are talking about Wes Hunter if you are referring to Hunter Classic cue (http://www.hunterclassics.com/cues/hunterclassics.html) you recently bought. That cue is a lot of cue for the money.

But we are talking about Bobby Hunter (http://huntercues.com/index.shtml).

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
Jazz said:

So you're who beat me to it!
I still have pics on my phone from looking at that cue before Jeff sold it....
One of the nicest around-period!

Second favorite would have to be Steve Klein..... although my Carmelli is growing on me lately-

Last edited: