What Cues Hit Like Richard Harris/Blue Grass

Shevek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all, I'm new to custom cues and this is my first post on AZBilliards.

A had the opportunity to play with a Richard Harris/Blue Grass for a couple hours recently. I liked the amount of shaft flex - just right for me - not whippy, but not too stiff. My question is, what other cue makers would have about the same degree of stiffness? And of those cue makers which are using pro tapers and which are achieving that degree of stiffness with something more like a modified euro taper?

Thanks
Don

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Shevek said:

A had the opportunity to play with a Richard Harris/Blue Grass for a couple hours recently. I liked the amount of shaft flex - just right for me - not whippy, but not too stiff. My question is, what other cue makers would have about the same degree of stiffness? And of those cue makers which are using pro tapers and which are achieving that degree of stiffness with something more like a modified euro taper?

Thanks
Don
Don,

Are you looking to get into a cue that hits like a BlueGrass...but costs less than one? If so, I would suggest looking into Cory Barnhart. He makes a great cue, and the ones I've had (3, total) played similar to a BlueGrass (I've owned 3 of those, too).

If not, I would suggest you stick with a BlueGrass cue. You can get a PJ BlueGrass for somewhere between 800-1000, depending on number of shafts and overall condition. They play awesome.

You could find the kind of hit you like in either one of those.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Shevek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-ball Rat said:
Don,

Are you looking to get into a cue that hits like a BlueGrass...but costs less than one? If so, I would suggest looking into Cory Barnhart. He makes a great cue, and the ones I've had (3, total) played similar to a BlueGrass (I've owned 3 of those, too).

If not, I would suggest you stick with a BlueGrass cue. You can get a PJ BlueGrass for somewhere between 800-1000, depending on number of shafts and overall condition. They play awesome.

You could find the kind of hit you like in either one of those.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I'm kind of fussy about the looks of a cue. I tend to like plain janes more anyway, so the cost discussion is kind of moot. Suffice it to say that although I admire BG craftsmanship, I haven't seen anything I'd really like to own, and the wait time is pretty long (or no new orders?) from what I understand.

As I said, I'm new to custom cues (although I have been doing my research thus far). As much as anything, I'm asking this question to learn about what's out there. If I can narrow my focus to cues that have a comparable shaft stiffness to BG, then I can look at those cue makers to see if their design work and cost suits me.

As for Cory Barnhart, I have also had an opportunity to hit some balls with one. I didn't care for the taper. My bridge hand was constantly being interfered with by the shaft (this happened occasionally with the BG too, but only with longer bridges when my hand actually reached the transition point in the taper). Not to say that the CB didn't have the right hit - I just didn't like the taper.

Of course that brings the discussion about stiffness to a new level when you want to find a taper that feels right in your hand - even for long bridges - and at the same time has the right stiffness. That's what I'm trying to figure out at this stage of my personal pool development. That's why I asked for specifics about modified euro or pro TAPER when recommending cues with a similar STIFFNESS to BG.

Any other suggestions? I'm an information hound, so I'd like to hear any and all recommendations anyone has with regard to comparable shaft stiffness to Blue Grass. Thanks again for the input.

Don

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Shevek said:
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I'm kind of fussy about the looks of a cue. I tend to like plain janes more anyway, so the cost discussion is kind of moot. Suffice it to say that although I admire BG craftsmanship, I haven't seen anything I'd really like to own, and the wait time is pretty long (or no new orders?) from what I understand.

As I said, I'm new to custom cues (although I have been doing my research thus far). As much as anything, I'm asking this question to learn about what's out there. If I can narrow my focus to cues that have a comparable shaft stiffness to BG, then I can look at those cue makers to see if their design work and cost suits me.

As for Cory Barnhart, I have also had an opportunity to hit some balls with one. I didn't care for the taper. My bridge hand was constantly being interfered with by the shaft (this happened occasionally with the BG too, but only with longer bridges when my hand actually reached the transition point in the taper). Not to say that the CB didn't have the right hit - I just didn't like the taper.

Of course that brings the discussion about stiffness to a new level when you want to find a taper that feels right in your hand - even for long bridges - and at the same time has the right stiffness. That's what I'm trying to figure out at this stage of my personal pool development. That's why I asked for specifics about modified euro or pro TAPER when recommending cues with a similar STIFFNESS to BG.

Any other suggestions? I'm an information hound, so I'd like to hear any and all recommendations anyone has with regard to comparable shaft stiffness to Blue Grass. Thanks again for the input.

Don

I am not familiar with the BG taper on his shafts, but can tell you that if you are looking for a stiff shaft, you may want to see if you can find a Josey to try out. His workmanship is top-notch, and the cues are super players! I know that I gained at least two balls to my game with the one I owned. Just a suggestion.

Lisa

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shevek said:

Thanks
Don
Measure the tip size, the size at 12 inch mark, 16 inch mark of the shaft.
The butt has parabolic taper ( SW and DKP style I think ).
Get it replicated by Mason or Alex Brick if you want my 2 cents.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Measure the tip size, the size at 12 inch mark, 16 inch mark of the shaft.
The butt has parabolic taper ( SW and DKP style I think ).
Get it replicated by Mason or Alex Brick if you want my 2 cents.

Great advice, Joey!!

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
I am not familiar with the BG taper on his shafts, but can tell you that if you are looking for a stiff shaft, you may want to see if you can find a Josey to try out. His workmanship is top-notch, and the cues are super players! I know that I gained at least two balls to my game with the one I owned. Just a suggestion.

Lisa
Good call, Lisa. I hate to admit it, but I totally forgot about Mr. Josey's cues. I've only hit with one...but it hit 'em real good....and the taper seemed to be very taper-friendly.

To be honest, I'm not NEARLY as familiar with specific tapers as some others on the board....but I DO know a good hitting cue when I play with one. Subjectively speaking, of course!!! :) :) :)

gmcole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shevek said:

Don
I think Rick Howard,Jeff Olney and South West all fit your bill. I lean towards Howard because it plays every bit as stiff as the Olney and South West I had , however, I find it aims and strokes(in my bridge hand), a hair better than the South West did. All of these cues,as well as a Bluegrass, are all first rate players. It all comes down to personal preference, and the only way to find out for yourself is to hit them yourself. IMHO
Good luck-jeff

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently saw a video interview with Richard Harris and he said he tuned his cues to play similar to an older McDermott, so you may want to look at one of those. There are a few D series cues around AZ and ebay rite now.

wild west

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently played with a Mystique Sneaky with a SW Taper...and it was pretty close to the Blugrass hit, feel and balance. And for only $250...its a steal!