Nicest Cuemakers

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bryan Mordt - Just a nice guy that genuinely cares about making his customer happy no matter the leaps and bounds. Well spoken, polite and full of ideas.

Scott Whisler - Before he stopped making cues, another down to earth guy that was a pleasure to hang around.

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lomax, Nitti, and R56.

I have only dealt with three cuemakers and have been very fortunate. All three provided crisp, clean, and quality products well within a more than punctual time frame and at extremely fair prices. I have been lucky and want to share my experiences.

Lomax:
I have purchased from Steve multiple times, from his J/B cues to the players, and would be more than happy to do business with him again. Progress pictures, general questions, courtesy calls and updates, you name it. Overall great transactions.

Nitti:
I have only bought from Chris once. All of my questions were answered promptly with great detail. At the time, I was still relatively new to custom cues, and he found the time to walk me through the process and generalities even before I committed to a cue from his shop. About halfway through the transaction, I became the customer that no one wants to experience. I started avoiding calls and emails because it was taking me longer to make the finals payments than what I had quoted. Both Chris and Theresea were very cordial and professional throughout the entire ordeal. They were always very kind and reassuring. I'm very grateful to them for having dealt with the situation as they did. You are hard pressed to find a couple more pleasant to deal with than the Nitti's.

R56 (Renegade_56):
Although fairly new to the cue making business, his people skills are that of a seasoned veteran. Quality product at fair prices is what his small shop delivered, and with a quick turnaround at that. Frank Powers stands behind his work. I have done quite a bit of buying from his shop over the last few years and I have never had a negative experience. Any concern I may have had was always addressed and adjusted appropriately. Alliteration :p

I can say with confidence that it would be my pleasure to buy from either party again.

Thanks for everything, Steve, Chris, and Frank!

kenosteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nicest Cuemaker

Bill Stroud, Joe Baker and John Bender have all treated me with respect and interest. They have each been a pleasure to deal with.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RICHARD BLACK..............Without a doubt.

I've called Richard 4x times over the past 3 years and I do not own one of his cues ....yet.......Bill Grassley knows what I want and will hopefully find me the RB I want.

Anyway, every time I called Richard, he's answered his phone and interrupted whatever he was involved with at the time of my call. Each time I telephoned it was about one of his cues that I was interested in buying from its cue owner.

The first time it was to ask him about the difference in a Cape Buffalo Horn joint that was on a cue and I didn't know squat about Cape Buffalo Horn as a cue joint material. The second time it was about a Pendelton cue he had made back in '95. The third time it was about a incredible Alamo cue I've wanted for a really long time. And this past June, I called him about the Bushka ivory joint cue on Cornerstone Cues that I was interested in making play lighter.

Every time I called Richard, he was very cordial and accommodating. He went out of his way to answer my questions, even going as so far to research his records for the original cue order information while I was on the phone with him. He actually provided at no charge two aluminum short bolts to try in the Bushka cue to make it lighter. I tried but alas, the cue still played heavier than I preferred and Bill Grassley was extremely considerate and allowed me to return the RB Bushka cue I purchased a couple of months ago and gave me a full refund no questions asked...........And by the way, Bill Grassley is just a prince of a fellow to do business with.

So that's why I submit Richard Black rates #1 with me and I look forward to owning one of his cues..........jeez, if that darn Alamo cue only played 3/4 oz lighter.......I'd quit buying cues after adding that gem to my collection......What a freakin' beautiful cue.........Absolutely Love It. I asked the cue-builder making my new custom to try and copy the dark BEM stain look on that Alamo cue......just spectacular.

Last edited:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Nicest
Madison Bob. Great Player and him and his wife Lena are very inviting and down to earth. True Class with a touch of country!

Also had a little interaction with Chris Byrne and Brent Hartman (BHQ). Both are great as well. Top notch!

jolnar33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom and Michi Coker get my vote

I've contacted several very nice cue makers over the past couple of years, but the Coker's out in Sacremento, CA are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of dealing with. I've talked to both Tom and Michi on the phone and both of them are as friendly, helpful, and honest as any long time friend you could hope to have. The cues that they bring to life have a great feel and solidness to them, and I think they are way underpriced for the quality you get.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ron Haley,
Laurie Franklin
Ed Prewitt,
Dennis Searing,
Andy Gilbert,
Mike Capone,
Paul Dayton,
Mike Lambros,
Mike Bender,
Joel Hercek,
Jeff Olney,
Mike Stacey,
Bill Schick,
Pete Ohmen,
Rick Howard,
Barry Szamboti.
Mike Wheeler
"Most have all built cues for me, except for a few,
Only because Thier order books were FILLED,
All very Free with thier time and knowledge and experience

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sent Pete Tascarella an email Friday night after I got home from work, I just had a cue question to ask him. I got an email back from him in less then an hour. Very nice guy to chat with & one hellva cue maker.

tc in l a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only met one, Ernie Gutierrez, and he couldn't be nicer. I've been to his studio four times this year and each time he's been extremely polite.
After we've taken care of the business at hand he's always taken the time to show me around the shop and explain some of the things he's been working on.
Most recently he showed me a beautiful completed cue with those guitar icons like one of the cues currently listed at cornerstone but this one was 3 times the cue. I also got a peek at some of the designs on the anniversary cue and even in the unfinished state it's the most elegant thing I've seen.
Anyway, now I'm just bragging that I've been there and met him but I'm honestly so taken with his kindness and intimidated by who he is I always feel like I have to excuse myself so he can get on with his work.
If I get there again I'm going to ask him if I can stick around and see if there's anything I can help him with, even if those dogs scare me half to death!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Mike Webb
Eric Crisp
Cory Barnhart
Joey Bautista
Murray Tucker
Alex Brick

in no particular order.they have all been extremely helpful with nothing in it for them.that is the key.these guys all had no ulterior motives for helping me.that is truly selfless.sorry if i left anyone out,but i wrote this fast.

The cue world misses you.

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
Mike Webb is at the top of my list, he has gone far beyond any cuemaker I have dealt with. Jeff Olney is another , I have had very nice conversation with Leon Sly too. These are some that I have dealt with that I would recommend, many others I would not. Some want there customer to be pleased with there cue, both playing ability and quality, and others just want there money and never here from you again.

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
Chris Nitti - A true perfectionist and gentleman in every way.

David Kersenbrock - A human encyclopedia of cue making and someone that you can spend the day with and never get bored. He is the father of modern cue making and materials.

Laurie Franklin - A true Lady that welcomes you in to her home and treats you like family (I miss Jerry - RIP my friend).

Kieth Josey - A true southern gentleman and an asset to the cue making art.

Richard Black - A very nice man to talk to and very humble for one of the finest cue makers to ever craft a cue.

There are several more very knowledgeable and nice cue makers out there (and a few hacks). But after 35 yrs of dealing in high end cues those are my four favorites.

Shady's

23 Billiards
Silver Member
The nicest cue makers that I have dealt with and spoke with are:

Larry Vigus- I have actually purchased 5 cues from him and also had him do work on a
Joss cue for me, super nice and easy to work with.
Jon Spitz- He is building a couple for me and is really great to deal with.

Jake Hulsey- Never had anything built but really a great guy with tons of knowledge.

Willie Speed- He has done some work refinishing cues. Really great guy to work with.

rwwsr72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The nicest that i have delt with without a doubt. Jim buss is a great guy. A nother is Leon sly great guy to deal with. Jerry turbrock not only a great guy to deal with but a great pool player also.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Here are some nice cue makers....

I have worked with a lot of nice cue makers. The ones who have made an impression on me.
Rick Geschrey @ Esoteric custom cues.
Pete Ohman @ Omen custom cues.
John Barioni @ Barioni custom cues.
Paul Drexler @ PFD Studios.
Darrin Hill @ Hills custom cues.
Ariel Carmeli @ Carmeli custom cues.
I know there are so many more Super cue makers, so many I couldn't name all of them.:thumbup:

Chris:smile:

Last edited:

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a really nice conversation with Pete Tascarella Sr. He struck me as remarkably down to earth and nice. Considering how busy the guy must be, I was really concerned about wasting his time with stupid questions but he really was in no hurry to get off the phone and seemed very happy to shoot the shit and chat for a bit. I hung up the phone feeling pretty good about supporting him as a cuemaker.

Last edited:

nme007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised...

That there is not more of a mention of Richard Chudy or Jim Baxter. I have dealt with both of these gentlemen and they were extremely pleasant and in no hurry to rush me out of the conversation.

Citizen

Registered
The one and only: MR WAYNE HOLMES (Former Master Cue maker - Rtd)

Unfortunately, this post may not be of any use to anyone wishing to have a custom cue made but more of a tribute to a long lost very dear and close friend of mine who I hold in the highest esteem and would welcome both him and his wife Pat as part of my family.

I first met Wayne many years ago through Simon D'Vali (thediamond) and Matt Gleaves (the mole) and our friendship blossomed immediately as we seemed to share all the same moral values both on and off and off the table. Wayne very kindly took my order and made me the most amazing cue ever and ladies and gentlemen you could offer me $20,000 this cue is NOT for sale and NEVER will be! This is going to be a family heirloom passed to my son who I also had a Wayne custom cue made for.

I have an extensive collection of cues which includes many Wayne cues as I have been snapping these up wherever and whenever possible. Please do not misunderstand me, I have not done this for investment purposes (money is only paper and the route of all evil) but just because I adore Wayne's work and now that my old friend has now retired and relocated they are becoming more and more difficult to acquire. I have travelled the world as those who know me will confirm and never have I found a playing cue which matches that of a Wayne Custom cue. It is not my intention here to start an argument post (mine is better than yours and my Dad's bigger than than yours LOL) This is just my humble opinion and I fully recognise and respect others have theirs as well so please do not jump on my back.

Over the years, I had the wonderful privilege of staying at Wayne's house when we played at the Smokey Mountain tournament in N.C. Wayne and Pat gave me the most incredible vacation I have ever had and now suffering from early onset dementia (sub-type Alzheimers) I will never forget (or at least hope not) every moment from that superb trip and their genuine relentlessly kind hospitality.

Wayne was not only a very very MASTER craftsman (I emphasise Master as it is a word so easily used on the forums today) but was a true friend and beautiful person with a warm heart. The story does not end there, (and I could literarily write a book about him) I have to mention his 1st class Quality Assurance Inspector: his wife, Pat !! No cue gets shipped before it is inspected thoroughly by Pat, who really knows the business. Again, like Wayne another truly wonderful person who has time to listen and talk (as Wayne does) to ensure the customer was always happy and pleased with the finished article. Truly the nicest couple I have ever met in our beautiful game and some.

Sadly some time ago I had my lap-top and cell phone stolen from my car and lost all my contact details so I am using this pathway to wish them well, to send my love from across the big pond and sincerely hope the floods in Texas did not cause them any loss or suffering. My thoughts will always be with you both.

Should anyone know of Wayne's contact details please advise him of this post (or kindly forward it on to him) and accept my sincere gratitude for your assistance.

Many thanks.

Last edited: