The California Open

gerri3404

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 SPOTS LEFT!
Don't miss the biggest 3C tournament ever at Cal Cafe!
Call Vicke Pineda (323) 245-3840 or Ricky Carranco (323) 490-8075 TODAY & get signed up!!!

28335930_918106215038871_8320870637702488755_o.jpg

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 SPOTS LEFT!
Don't miss the biggest 3C tournament ever at Cal Cafe!
Call Vicke Pineda (323) 245-3840 or Ricky Carranco (323) 490-8075 TODAY & get signed up!!!

View attachment 488053

I am curious how the tiered entries work in an event like this. For example say I wanted to enter. How is my 'average' determined or verified? I don't play in any league or any other venue where an average is maintained in any official way. I'm just a guy who plays who occasionally privately keeps an average for a few games from time to time to judge my own progress. My 'average' is well under the .699 lowest level, but if I were to enter would they believe me, or would they suspect I was a ringer?

I wouldn't care much about the points handicap - I'm going to lose anyway - I'd just prefer not paying the higher entry fee for the privilege of being beaten up.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am curious how the tiered entries work in an event like this. For example say I wanted to enter. How is my 'average' determined or verified? I don't play in any league or any other venue where an average is maintained in any official way. I'm just a guy who plays who occasionally privately keeps an average for a few games from time to time to judge my own progress. My 'average' is well under the .699 lowest level, but if I were to enter would they believe me, or would they suspect I was a ringer?

I wouldn't care much about the points handicap - I'm going to lose anyway - I'd just prefer not paying the higher entry fee for the privilege of being beaten up.

I will vouch for Rich (Kissed Out) being under .699 average if that means anything. We have played often in Greeley Senior Center over the last 2 years. He's a great guy and loves 3-cushion, too. Rich would be an asset to your event.

Dave Gross

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will vouch for Rich (Kissed Out) being under .699 average if that means anything. We have played often in Greeley Senior Center over the last 2 years. He's a great guy and loves 3-cushion, too. Rich would be an asset to your event.

Dave Gross

I appreciate that ringing endorsement of my futility as a 3C player. LOLOLOL

I'm not thinking about this specific event, but it is not out of the question that a quixotic bucket list entry into some future event could occur. It is nice to know, though, that I have someone to vouch for my lousyness, should I need it. Although they would probably know, once they saw me take a few shots.

But I am still curious how that would work for someone who didn't have a known player vouch for them.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate that ringing endorsement of my futility as a 3C player. LOLOLOL

I'm not thinking about this specific event, but it is not out of the question that a quixotic bucket list entry into some future event could occur. It is nice to know, though, that I have someone to vouch for my lousyness, should I need it. Although they would probably know, once they saw me take a few shots.

But I am still curious how that would work for someone who didn't have a known player vouch for them.

Sorry, I'll let everyone know you're a 1.0 player from now on. Does this make you happy? (I was just trying to help, i really thought you were interested in attending). :D:D:thumbup:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I'll let everyone know you're a 1.0 player from now on. Does this make you happy? (I was just trying to help, i really thought you were interested in attending). :D:D:thumbup:

No, you WERE helpful. Sorry if I gave the impression I was interested in playing this particular one. That tiered structure seems pretty common in 3C tourneys, and coming from an amateur golf background and having been chair of the handicap committee of a club, where verification of handicaps is a big deal in tournaments I wondered how it would be handled when there wasn't the kind of formal structure golf handicapping has. That really was my main question. But I may just give it a whirl at a future event, when I'm healthy, just for the experience and to give some good players easy victories.

If I do, don't tell them I'm a 1.0 - I'll have to pay a higher entry fee and I'll lose my matches by even more. My only chance of being a 1.0 is if they start keeping 5-inning averages. LOL.

I have neither illusions nor pretensions about my 3c abilities.