Ultra Skin Tips

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
Ultraskin review

So, I started with an Ultraskin Hard on a McDermott EK-1 (I'd been shooting with Wizard mediums and harder tips at the time) ... It's certainly a hard tip. Played nice but just wasn't what I was looking for.

Next I had an Ultraskin medium put on a Tiger ultra X LD shaft, better but still wasn't quite what I was looking for (just a touch hard).

Then picked up a Jack Madden cue (from 2006) with 2 shafts, both I think were Tiger Mediums and just couldn't get used to them (too hard, funny sounds). I shot for a month and still didn't feel I had the control I wanted. Time to experiment...

Installed a few weeks apart by the same repairman....

Shaft one, Kamui Black soft on a pad
Shaft two, Tom's Ultraskin soft on a pad (installed for free by my guy for me to test it out)

I've shot off and on with both for over a month and really feel like I can share something. Both have a reasonably similar hit/feel/sound. Honestly, if you didn't know which was which they are hard to tell apart, except for one (to me) important element.

The Kamui is 'springier'... not necessarily softer, but absorbs a bit more energy than the ultraskin. I can flip back and forth and on most shots not really tell a difference.

However, there is one significant difference (and not just the cost :smile:) The easiest way for me to say it is this, for draw and center ball very little change. However on follow shots, there is a significant difference. Particularly on force follow I feel like the ultraskin will let me move the cue ball. While with the Kamui, it feels like it is absorbing enough of the energy that I have a real tough time utilizing follow as well as I need to (and for YEARS people would say I played with a ton of follow and very little draw).

So there you have it... I can play with either, but for my money, can play a more complete game with the ultraskin...

My $0.02 and YMMV

-Joe

douglas cues

Registered
i am a cue builder in bloomington ind built first cue in oct 09 have built 233 since i have used every tip out there i have 5 softs left from my first 36 tips they are the only tip i use any more tom needs more then a hand shake i seen a post tip ofthe year how about best tip ........ doug moore:thumbup:

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
Should be called super f-ing fantastic tip.

Im 6 months in on a soft ultraskin. I left it full height. I lov this tip. I play and break with the tip. I recall maybe one or 2 miscues. The tip retains its shape and i havent had to touch it at all. For the price and quality u cant go wrong. Keep the money in the usa and buy from tom. And u will also keep more money in ur pocket on the savings.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I finally had my repair man put on a Ultra Skin Medium. I had a Moori medium on before. The Ultra Skin seems to be a little harder than the Moori but I like it better so far. Holds chalk well. I played for about 2 hours straight today and had ZERO mushrooming and NO miscues. These will be my tip of choice from now on :D

Espartaco_7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally had my repair man put on a Ultra Skin Medium. I had a Moori medium on before. The Ultra Skin seems to be a little harder than the Moori but I like it better so far. Holds chalk well. I played for about 2 hours straight today and had ZERO mushrooming and NO miscues. These will be my tip of choice from now on :D

Same for me, won´t go back to the japanese stuff. They´re good tips, but ultraskins, so far, best tip around.

captainkoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely the best bang for the buck. I can't really say it's the best tip out there, I've been using them for a couple of months. Use predator shafts have the ultraskin soft on my 314-2 and medium on my precat 314 and a kamui black medium on my z2 which is going to be replaced with an ultraskin.

Here's the thing, I wanted to compare the ultraskins to the kamui but didn't want to cut off my kamui and I think it's possibly I just prefer the z2 right now.

For sure, it comes down to preference, ultraskins are great tips.

Mr Nobody

Banned
I've purchased quite a few of these tips , in all flavors , and I've installed a lot of them . Only one person complained and she didn't really know what she wanted and I recommended the tip . The quality is better , my opinion , than similar tips . They don't glaze as quickly as others . I'm a loyal customer and installer of these tips ... THANX TOM ;)