Ultra Skin Tips

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I know this is the cue review section, since the tip is part of the cue i figured it would be ok. Let me first start off by saying ive tried just about every popular tip there is. From Kamuii to morri, triangle, le pro even elk masters. I have also had a number of the tiger made tips( the emrald being my fav.) It should go without saying ive had a good sampling of tips in my short 8 years of playing pool.

I heard of Ultra Skin tips here on az and was extremly skeptical of them because of the price. I mean come on can a 3 dollar tip really play the good. I had to do some research. A friend of mine bought some over the summer and put one on a Joss for a friend of ours. I played with it and noticed a tink sound. i wasnt impressed, plus im not a fan of the steel joint anyway. Since i only live about an hour north of where Tom does, i decided to go down to Ultimate Billiards in Ft. Pierce, Fl. I figured one of the owners might be playing with the tips and I was right. I again hit with the tip this time on a big pin Dayton. To be honest i liked the cue but the tip i wasnt impressed with. A month or so goes by and I had a disagreement with my playing shaft. It felt it no longer had to be in one piece, i thought it should. Anyway I switched to a McDemott shaft i had bought for times like these. I mean 20 bones for a whole Mcdermott, how could i say no. I replaced the ferrule with some unknown hard as crap one and a really really hard lepro tip. I couldnt stand it. The shaft played so dead i almost broke it, i was so frustrated. Then im at my friends house playing on his beautiful 9ft diamond pro/am. And decide i needed a new tip after we were done playing. So i slipped him 5 bucks and put the tip on myself using a jewelers lathe. Ive done cue work in the past, but wouldnt classify my self anywhere near a professional. This being the first layered tip id ever put on myself i used a you tube video or two to show me how. And i must say, this thing was easy as all get out to put on. Cut nice, cleaned up nice, just looked nice. By now im impressed with the tip (price and ease of use) being the main points here. I left pretty much the whole tip on at first and hit maybe 2 racks with it and decided it had a little too much grip for me. I pulled it down to maybe 4 layers or so and that was money. Fast forward 3 months, im in love with this tip. Its held its shape nicely, and ive beat the ever living crap out of it on purpose. I even break with it. Remember what i said about the shaft. This tip has improved the playability of the shaft 100 times over. I mean, i was like damn. Im slowly trying to get the players in the pool room converted, some have and like the tip. I mean who wouldnt want to help out a fellow florida native who only lives an hour away. Ive since made a few trips back to ultimate in hopes of running into Tom, to thank him for his awesome awesome tips. It sounds so silly and my buddies say Im crazy but i feel a handshake is in order to that man. Finally something a player like myself can use well with out the 25-50 price tag repairmen place on those other tips. Nothing against the other tips, however im a fan for life of the ultra skin tips. Just Tom please, dont change them, at all. Seriously....

Thankx, DB

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member
I am really starting to LOVE my Soft UltraSkin tip. Best "bang for the buck" tip out there right now and I would not trade even up for a Kamui or a Moori.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I replaced an Emerald that I was miscuing with too much with an Ultra Skin soft and the miscuing has gone down a lot.
Hell of a tip for the $.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had nothing to lose. The Tad tip on one of my shafts popped off a few weeks ago. Surprise, surprise the shaft is only 34 years old and that was the original tip that came with it. I'm the original owner so I know for sure! Well anyhow I just happened to have a bag of Tom's Ultra Skin Tips in my case. I got at least a couple of each hardness in the bag. I finally decided to go with the medium. My good friend Jerry Price, local cue maker and contributer here on AZ, installs it for me. He tells me that it went on very nicely, just like a Moori or any of the many layered tips he's installed. I've been using it for about a month now with no complaints. It hasn't mushroomed and it's held it's shape. There's no glazing and grips very good. My Tad has his standard SS joint and 5/16-18 pin. There's absolutley no ping at all with the medium USLT. The only thing this tip is missing is the high over inflated cost of the others. Kudos to Mr. Hay

Last edited:

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had BOB at DZ CUES put an ultra skin medium on my cue.
Very happy with it.

SLIM

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about other hardeness Ultraskins?

Does anyone care to chime in on how the H or HH compare to a Medium Hard Triangle?
I realize there is some diversity among hardness values in tips within a
brand's category, but a ballpark guess is welcomed.

Has there been any Hardness testing/analysis done on the Ultraskin Tips
yet?
I will start a search for one shortly.
I know there was some information I came across a few weeks back that
took an average for each brand and respective categories where they used
a Rockwell Hardness tester. I think it was a you-tube video.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone care to chime in on how the H or HH compare to a Medium Hard Triangle?
I realize there is some diversity among hardness values in tips within a
brand's category, but a ballpark guess is welcomed.

Has there been any Hardness testing/analysis done on the Ultraskin Tips
yet?
I will start a search for one shortly.
I know there was some information I came across a few weeks back that
took an average for each brand and respective categories where they used
a Rockwell Hardness tester. I think it was a you-tube video.

If you look on Toms' site (layeredcuetips.com) in the FAQ section and about 2/3's the way down, there is some info about durometer testing.

lynx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one dont care where the tips are made I got them from Tom great tip and great guy to deal with.

Thanks Tom

puertorociii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know I must say. I for one would just look right passed something in the price segment. But I recently bought a cue here on the forum and it came with a Ultra skin medium. Very very impressed with it. My buddies thought I already had a Kamui installed when they saw me drawing the ball with ease. Plannin on buying a few just to keep in the bag for emergency situations.

Sent via Samsung hand held device.

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
I'm pleased see that many people are enjoying these tip. I can't say enough great things about them.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I love the ultra skins!
So much that I am the Canadian seller of these fine tips :)
I am switching most of my customers over to them, especially from Mooris.
I myself play with the HH ultra and I thi k it compares quite nicely with the kamui black hard tip.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Ultra skin is practically the only tip I am selling right now. I have changed over many locals that like Moori's and Kamui's as well as lepro and triangle.

I tell them " let me put a tip on and if you don't like it........ I will put a tip of your choice on for free."

I have had no returns or complaints... but I have had return customers for more of the same tips.

Kim

TommyLee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto

Got a new cue coming in soon and am def planning on using the ultra skin m. All the reviews can't be wrong! If anyone has a couple up for sale link, thanks