Most Arrogant Cuemaker???

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
I Saw Something In The For Sale Section That Made Me Think.......

In The Years That I Have Been Buying Cues, Who Was The Most Arrogant Cuemaker That I Have Had The Pleasure To Speak To????

So Here It Is, And I Wondered What Others Thoughts Were As Well......

I Was At The Super Billiards Expo, Wondering Around Buying Cues. I Didn't Know Any Other Collectors Than, So I Mainly Kept To Myself. I Had Bought 3 Or 4 Cues Already That Day, And Had Them In A Case I Was Carrying. I Stopped At Mike Sigels Booth To Look At The Cnc Crap He Was Selling, And To Make Fun Of It..... I Gave My Case To My Girl To Hold So I Could Pick Up This Ebony Cue, With The Most Wasted Ivory I Had Ever Seen. One Of The Guys Working The Booth With Mike, Tapped Him And Told Him To Turn Around.......... When Mike Turns And Sees It's A Younger (20ish Year Old) Guy Holding The Cue (me), He Laughs And Says

"why Don't You Just Put That Down, It's Not Like You Can Afford It Anyway"

My First Instinct Was To Smash Him In The Mouth With It, But I Kept My Composure. Laughed, Set His P.o.s. Cue Down, Got My Case Back, And Started To Walk Away..... My Attitude Got The Best Of Me When I Stopped And Turned, And Told Him To Go Ask Richard Black How Much The Young Kid Had Just Spent. Then I Smiled And Walked Away.

Has Anyone Else Had An Experience Like This? I Hope I'm Not The Only One.

BPG24

Banned
paulybatz said:
this was anonymous I would have a few names to iterate.

that is the problem on AZB... Everyone is scared to say what they really think because someone will take offense and bash them for it. The reality is that it only hurts us because we don't get all of the info we need in alot of situations.

I wish everyone would speak out.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
FAST_N_LOOSE said:

In The Years That I Have Been Buying Cues, Who Was The Most Arrogant Cuemaker That I Have Had The Pleasure To Speak To????

I Was At The Super Billiards Expo, Wondering Around Buying Cues. I Didn't Know Any Other Collectors Than, So I Mainly Kept To Myself. I Had Bought 3 Or 4 Cues Already That Day, And Had Them In A Case I Was Carrying. I Stopped At Mike Sigels Booth To Look At The Cnc Crap He Was Selling, And To Make Fun Of It..... I Gave My Case To My Girl To Hold So I Could Pick Up This Ebony Cue, With The Most Wasted Ivory I Had Ever Seen. One Of The Guys Working The Booth With Mike, Tapped Him And Told Him To Turn Around.......... When Mike Turns And Sees It's A Younger (20ish Year Old) Guy Holding The Cue (me), He Laughs And Says

My First Instinct Was To Smash Him In The Mouth With It, But I Kept My Composure. Laughed, Set His P.o.s. Cue Down, Got My Case Back, And Started To Walk Away..... My Attitude Got The Best Of Me When I Stopped And Turned, And Told Him To Go Ask Richard Black How Much The Young Kid Had Just Spent. Then I Smiled And Walked Away.

Bi... oh you said cue maker, not cue dealer. Oh ok... sorry.. carry on.. :D

I think this list could get long.. I would put PFD on because he used to pace Hopkins show like he was the second coming. But I have come to learn to appreciate these little quirks, as individuals all have. I am sure I have my moments (not really) :D ... But Sigel has been known to break his arm patting his own back, but he is funny as hell at dinner..

JV

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the exact same experience with Mike Sigel at Valley Forge. He is absolutely the least talented and the most arrogant cuemaker I have ever met. The only difference is that I never picked the cue up. He had "words" with me as I was looking. He said " dont even pick that cue up unless you have 6500 hundred bucks in your pocket". I laughed and thought of something rude to say but I didnt lower myself to say it. I want to say this was in 2003 or so but I cannot remeber exactly what year it was...........

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FAST_N_LOOSE said:

I've dealt with a few, and it cracks me up, but on the flip side I've dealt with some real humble good people Jeff Olney, and Chris Byrne are 2 that come to mind.....
It takes hundreds to thousands of words to make a sale, but it only takes a few words to lose one..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
snowmon34 said:
It takes hundreds to thousands of words to make a sale, but it only takes a few words to lose one..:rolleyes:

AT THAT POINT IN MY LIFE, HE WAS LUCKY TO NOT LOSE MORE THAN THE SALE..... LIKE MAYBE HIS TEETH.

I FIND IT FUNNY THOUGH..... IMAGINE HE HAD BEEN NICE TO ME, AND I HAD BOUGHT THE CUE, I'D BE IN THE HOLE FOR LIKE 5K TRYIN TO GET OUT OF THAT P.O.S.

SO MAYBE I SHOULD BE THANKFUL, HE SAAVED ME TIME, HASSLE, AND MONEY.

RoyL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 90's, Bludworth's son visited the local pool hall I used to play at. Finding out he was a cuemaker, I struck up a general conversation about cues, informing him that I played with a Schick.

He basically told me that to him Schick cues were subpar, and they were known to click. I think he called them "click Schicks."

I still have that cue, and it by no ways "clicks."

Needless to say, that experience with him just stuck in my mind. I mean he was a nice guy and everything, but all the times I've visited Schick and Mike Wheeler, I've never heard once either one of them denigrating any cuemaker.

And about Sigel cues, I picked up one of the "$3500" models off of eBay many years ago when one seller was dumping them on the cheap. I think there is one like it on eBay right now, unable to even get a $1000 bid.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it really stands out when one cuemaker downgrades another,especially when it is an unsolicited opinion.i guess if the cuemaker getting bashed is totally helpless or something and it is obvious to most people it is OK,but to hear one cuemaker say something bad about another equally or even more talented cuemkaer it is almost funny.you know right off it is out of some type of twisted jealousy or something.

slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PFD is on the top of my list orderd a cue sent deposit 800. for 2200. dollar cue called him many times sent pic.s of what I wanted everything was great till he calls 5 months later and says cue is done emailed pics and the cue was nothing like we talked about so he says well lets do a do over I don't know about you but if you can't get it right the first time why would I let you do it again so I said just send my deposit back 4 years and still waiting I WOULDN'T PI$$ ON HIM IF HE WAS ON FIRE

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bludworth ....

I called the "BLUD" about a cue.

He asked me what cues I have and what I liked.

He proceded to bash all the cues I had, then said I obviously like pretty cues verses great playing cues like his..:rolleyes:

Then he got real nasty. And I am thinking, was I doing him a favor? or was he doing me a favor?

I have had several cues build for me and most were a wonderful experience, and almost like waiting for a child to be born.

I wouldnt wish bad things on anyone,,,,but with Blud, I almost do.

That is saying something.

Ken

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
bells said:
I had the exact same experience with Mike Sigel at Valley Forge. He is absolutely the least talented and the most arrogant cuemaker I have ever met. The only difference is that I never picked the cue up. He had "words" with me as I was looking. He said " dont even pick that cue up unless you have 6500 hundred bucks in your pocket". I laughed and thought of something rude to say but I didnt lower myself to say it. I want to say this was in 2003 or so but I cannot remeber exactly what year it was...........

At that show, I heard him tell a guy don't you dare touch that cue, it's probably worth more than the house you live in.
Takes all types. Old Bob Moochie came by the booth I was in with Chester Krick, Looked at our names and just shook his head and walked away. Guess I could take that as an endorsement.!:)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
that is the problem on AZB... Everyone is scared to say what they really think because someone will take offense and bash them for it. The reality is that it only hurts us because we don't get all of the info we need in alot of situations.

I wish everyone would speak out.[/

So tell us what you think, don't around the Bush!!!:D

BPG24

Banned
manwon said:
I wish everyone would speak out.[/

So tell us what you think, don't around the Bush!!!:D

LOL

I have never been called shy before Manwon :p :D

Some people respect it, some don't... I was taught to tell the truth

SirBanksALot

NoMakeANoBallANoMoreA
Silver Member
This Is An Easy One For Me To Answer

The most arrogant two cuemakers I have every talked to (other than just phone conversations) are Paul Drexler and Arnot Q Wadsworth.

Most of the ones I've talked to are humble decent guys that are just out to make a living, in a very tough business.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
masonh said:
it really stands out when one cuemaker downgrades another,especially when it is an unsolicited opinion.i guess if the cuemaker getting bashed is totally helpless or something and it is obvious to most people it is OK,but to hear one cuemaker say something bad about another equally or even more talented cuemkaer it is almost funny.you know right off it is out of some type of twisted jealousy or something.

Tap!! Tap!!!! Tap!!!!!! I totally agree Mason, however, I also think it is just as bad when a Cue Maker intentionally misrepresent their cues. I think this is the worst thing a Cue Maker can do, I mean their is nothing wrong with pride, we all have it. But to encourage or sponsor Hype and to misrepresent your products to stroke your own ego, is equally as negative, I mean a product will speak for itself. The words of an individual whom is known to have integrity, is far more powerful than any statement, such as World Champion!!!!! Enough Said!!!!!!!! or any other like statements that are frequently used on the INTERNET Forums!!!!!!!!

Just my thoughts!!!!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't know who the most arrogant is but Tad is the most humble.
DZ and MT also stand out as among the most humble makers I've talked to.
The most arrogant "maker" I know has a site I can't post here.
You can draw a football field length with his cues and he has a cue that sold for a hundred grand or so. So, he claims.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

I am with you ... but on the other hand, it's (entirely or remotely) possible that one person's bad experience with a cue maker may not represent overall picture of the cue maker.

Jazz <--- not really sure what point I'm trying to make.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jazz said:
I am with you ... but on the other hand, it's (entirely or remotely) possible that one person's bad experience with a cue maker may not represent overall picture of the cue maker.

Jazz <--- not really sure what point I'm trying to make.

Maybe you are saying everyone has a bad day now and then, and perhaps if one person experienced that bad day with a cuemaker and reported it as "the most arrogant cuemaker" when there are no other occurances or deserving reputation, it might not be the most fair assessment.

Kelly

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
I don't know who the most arrogant is but Tad is the most humble.
DZ and MT also stand out as among the most humble makers I've talked to.
The most arrogant "maker" I know has a site I can't post here.
You can draw a football field length with his cues and he has a cue that sold for a hundred grand or so. So, he claims.

Come'on Joey, give us the 2 letter word. ;)

Are they besides each other? :D