Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Ring Game and/or Skins Game

Votes: 15 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to add that in a ring game, there are no deliberate safeties. Each player has to shoot offensively. I watched the Parica/Archer game last year on my pc telecast from DCC and Parica made three of the most incredible shots one after the other to win a game and it was very exciting. Maybe I just found it exciting because I'm a pool player but I don't think so. I think others will be amazed and entertained as well.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I voted for 8-ball, but thought hard about straight pool. Why 8-ball? Because no matter what games I like better, league play is usually 8-ball, and most people I know want to play 8-ball. I agree with Fred, it is the most played game and might attract more people to watch it on the tube. The problem with 8-ball when the pros play it is it seems too easy. If you have a little knowledge you learn from watching the pattern they choose and how they negotiate it, but I'm afraid the average tv viewer might find it boring because they usually either break and run or the non-breaker runs out if no ball is pocketed on the break. For generally viewing something would need to make it more difficult for them, tighter pockets maybe.
On the net is a description of "convergence 8-ball" invented by somebody. Briefly the object is to pocket your group in rotation 1-7, or 15-9 (notice reverse order "convergence") then pocket the 8-ball. You can keep your inning alive by pocketing any ball including your opponents as long as you strike your proper ball first and call the ball to be pocketed. This game is significantly tougher than regular 8-ball and maybe would be a good pro showpiece.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
JAM said:
Only a few days left for this 7-day poll, and 70 people have voted. :)

I just discovered this poll yesterday. Check out these results: Capelle's Perspective: 8-Ball vs. 9-Ball, What Should Be the Pro Game?

Please vote, if you haven't already. :p

JAM

Capelle's poll is interesting, but I disagree with his analysis of favoring 9-ball. He observed pro 8-ball on a 9-foot table and incredibly they broke and ran 44% of the time!---more than in 9-ball! This doesn't happen that way on a barbox, regardless of the shooter's ability.

If the goal is to get the general public watching pool, they know about "solids and stripes" on a barbox or a basement 8-footer, and that's about all. If they see some pros playing like this, then they might be encouraged to, and would have a place to go, play the same game (any bar or friend's basement, or better yet, the local league). If they are playing more often, they'd be more likely to pay attention to a big tournies, especially if they could directly compare themselves to the pros' play. This exact thought process is happening right now with poker.

imho,

Jeff Livingston (my favorite game is 8-ball, btw)

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
I love playing and watching "good" one pocket. I hate playing and watching "bad" one pocket. :p

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
Capelle's poll is interesting, but I disagree with his analysis of favoring 9-ball. He observed pro 8-ball on a 9-foot table and incredibly they broke and ran 44% of the time!---more than in 9-ball! This doesn't happen that way on a barbox, regardless of the shooter's ability.

Throw in the opponents runout and you get the 60+% offense he talked about. That's why I suggested 8-ball needs to be toughened up for the pros to make them more "human" so people can identify with them.

If the goal is to get the general public watching pool, they know about "solids and stripes" on a barbox or a basement 8-footer, and that's about all. If they see some pros playing like this, then they might be encouraged to, and would have a place to go, play the same game (any bar or friend's basement, or better yet, the local league). If they are playing more often, they'd be more likely to pay attention to a big tournies, especially if they could directly compare themselves to the pros' play. This exact thought process is happening right now with poker.

imho,

Jeff Livingston (my favorite game is 8-ball, btw)

BTW, if you haven't checked out those accu-stats videos he referred to I suggest you do if your favorite game is 8-ball. Some excellent 8-ball is played, especially the Efren vs. Bustemante match. Incidentally, that was supposed to be the first annual 8-ball invitational sponsored by accu-stats. I think the fact that there was never a second annual indicates a lack of interest on the part of the accu-stats customer base in those tapes, which in turn would indicate a lack of interest in watching 8-ball. Though it should be noted the accu-stats customer base is not the general public.

At any rate, I'm with you, more 8-ball.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump, bump, bump it up!

So far, 80 AzBilliards Discussion Forum members have expressed their desire about which game of pocket billiards they would like to see! :p

The poll ends Sunday 1/16. I like rounded-off numbers, and I'm looking for an even 100. Please vote, if you haven't done so already.

9-Ball is the game show on TV most often, but to date, it seems as if one-pocket and straight pool games are quite popular in this random poll! Ring games and Skins tourneys rank very high as well. Very revealing (IMO).

Are you reading this, pool promoters of America?

JAM

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
JAM said:
So far, 80 AzBilliards Discussion Forum members have expressed their desire about which game of pocket billiards they would like to see! :p

The poll ends Sunday 1/16. I like rounded-off numbers, and I'm looking for an even 100. Please vote, if you haven't done so already.

9-Ball is the game show on TV most often, but to date, it seems as if one-pocket and straight pool games are quite popular in this random poll! Ring games and Skins tourneys rank very high as well. Very revealing (IMO).

Are you reading this, pool promoters of America?

JAM

Jam, of course the one caveat about this poll has got to be the bias sample. The people at AZ represent a set of people who are at a minimum interested in pool and probably play quite a bit. To make pool grow, and therefore more rewarding for pros like Keith, the people who really need to be polled are the people who currently watch other sports, but aren't too interested in pool. The same problem occurs with upcoming tournaments and so forth; the promoters only target current pool players. The only concerted effort I see to draw in fresh people is the APA TV ad campaign. Like it or not for pool to be a more successful commercial venture the "ball bangers" have to be targeted.
JMHO.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order of preference:

9 ball, winner breaks, no 3 foul rule
10 ball, winner breaks, no 3 foul rule
9 ball, alternate breaks, no 3 foul rule
10 ball, alternate breaks, no 3 foul rule
One pocket

And with a shout out for 9 ball under the old push out / 2 foul rule. I know it's not as good a game as Texas Express, but it rewards the ability to make long shots.

Also, strictly enforced time limit on racking, 30 seconds max. Magic Racks strongly recommended to get rid of the gamesmanship.

I'd rather watch paint dry than 8 ball or straight pool, unless I know one of the players personally.

EDIT: I'd also rather watch a gambling match between two top players STAKING THEMSELVES with no backers than any tournament event. And this is triply true when I know one or both of the players.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In order of preference:

9 ball, winner breaks, no 3 foul rule
10 ball, winner breaks, no 3 foul rule
9 ball, alternate breaks, no 3 foul rule
10 ball, alternate breaks, no 3 foul rule
One pocket

And with a shout out for 9 ball under the old push out / 2 foul rule. I know it's not as good a game as Texas Express, but it rewards the ability to make long shots.

Also, strictly enforced time limit on racking, 30 seconds max. Magic Racks strongly recommended to get rid of the gamesmanship.

I'd rather watch paint dry than 8 ball or straight pool, unless I know one of the players personally.

EDIT: I'd also rather watch a gambling match between two top players STAKING THEMSELVES with no backers than any tournament event. And this is triply true when I know one or both of the players.

Not sure what you have against the three foul rule.
What do you do if the lowest ball is unhitable?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pushout rules were FAR superior to TE. Did away with the luck factor almost entirely.
I'm not a fan of the three-foul rule, myself.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you have against the three foul rule.
What do you do if the lowest ball is unhitable?

I don't like the 3 foul rule because I like to see players win by pocketing the 9 ball. I love snooker, but ball in hand should be reward enough for snookering your opponent in 9 ball or 10 ball. In the tens of thousands of 9 ball games I've ever played, I can't remember a single time when the lowest ball on the table wasn't able to be hit with ball in hand, and if there was an exception or three I don't think it's enough to have a 3 foul rule that covers all the other possibilities.

Of course in pro matches the 3 foul win comes up once in a blue moon anyway, but I just don't like the principle behind it.

But if the 3 foul rule is in place, then AFAIC all jump shots should be disallowed, especially with jump cues. The fine art of kicking your way out of a snooker a la Efren is an admirable talent, but using a special cue to jump over a ball is something that many tournaments don't allow for very good reasons.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pushout rules were FAR superior to TE. Did away with the luck factor almost entirely.
I'm not a fan of the three-foul rule, myself.

The greatest improvement to 9 ball or 10 ball would be what I think of as the "Grady rule", where if a player misses a shot and leaves you safe, you have the option of making him shoot again. 90% of the luck in 9 ball comes from lucky safes, not lucky shots that go in.

The objection to that is usually "what about 2-way shots?", to which I'd reply (maybe) "allow ONE called 2-way shot a game."

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If they are all top players and they play at a reasonable pace...I like to watch just about all of the games. Johnnyt

PoppaSaun

Banned
The greatest improvement to 9 ball or 10 ball would be what I think of as the "Grady rule", where if a player misses a shot and leaves you safe, you have the option of making him shoot again. 90% of the luck in 9 ball comes from lucky safes, not lucky shots that go in.

The objection to that is usually "what about 2-way shots?", to which I'd reply (maybe) "allow ONE called 2-way shot a game."

Ugh. That would be terrible.

A: "I'm calling my 2-way shot!"
B: "You already called it"
A: "That was last game!"
B: "It was this game!"
A: "Nuh-uh!"
B: "Yuh-huh"