Closed bridge

RonnieOSullivan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a marginal player who is improving at a pretty good rate. One thing though is that I've never used a closed bridge. My question is, do you feel as though experience with a closed bridge is necessary for one to improve or be a "good" player? I've always felt awkward when using a closed bridge, but I'm sure I could get fairly good at it with a lot of practice if necessary, but the question is, do those of you out there feel that it's necessary, or can a player do well enough with an open bridge to be good?

Thanks

44Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a closed bridge but don't think it is a necessary skill. I do however think an open bridge is a needed skill because I have to switch to an open on a regular basis for certain shots that I can't use a closed bridge on.

So no. I think you are fine with just an open...

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In the movie The Hustler when Eddie was practicing after recovering from his broken thumbs & Bert asked him about the open bridge, Eddie told him that he figured his game was off about 20% vs a closed bridge.

I have what in golf is a small/medium cadet size hand. That means that my palms are a bit large compared to my finger length. I use a closed bridge for every shot I'm hitting below center but a closed bridge for hitting high on the cue ball is not comfortable for me so I usually use an open bridge for most of those. But when it is a tight difficult long shot that needs to be hit hard, I will at times use a closed bridge.

I would suggest that you try using a closed bridge as much as possible when messing around or practicing to see if it becomes comfortable & if you see a difference. Personally I don't think I can draw the ball as well or as consistently with an open bridge vs a closed bridge.

Best of luck with it,
Regards,
Rick

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps trying a glove would make the transition a bit easier since the skin to shaft drag won't be an issue 'til you can get the hang of things... :shrug:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I just started playing about 2 years ago, and like you I exclusively used an open bridge. It seemed like most of the instructors on youtube recommended an open bridge...and I saw a lot of pros using it. I was pretty happy with it; my game sucked but that wasn't the open bridge's fault.

About four months ago I tried a closed bridge just for kicks. I really liked it. An AZer (sorry I don't remember who) hit the nail on the head when he commented that I probably got more "feedback" from the closed bridge. Yes! Bingo! He said what I felt but couldn't put into words. The shot just has more "feel" with a closed bridge.

I did have to start playing with a glove though. My skin rubs at the shaft with the closed bridge but the glove solved that.

I use an open bridge on about 20% of my shots, mostly when I'm stretched out with the CB beyond mid-table, i.e. an open bridge gives me more length in my arms to reach the CB.

Give it a try and see what you think. Each to his own.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
youll get a more accurate hit on cue ball with a closed bridge, but for me anyway, seeing the lines with closed bridge is not as easy....I usually use an open bridge, but using a closed bridge a lot more often is what I should be doing.

for someone fairly new, id recommend you go with closed bridge on every shot you can....it will help give you a better understanding of 'throw' and 'squirt' and how to compensate, and then later you can go with open bridge more often (for better feel, but sacrificing a little in accuracy).

note- the more accurate hit will allow you to figure out throw and squirt better, sooner.

good luck bud

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I think that you should practice using a closed bridge as a closed bridge is the bridge of choice for many players. After practicing it, you can decide if you prefer using an open or closed bridge. However, I think it might be a mistake to use an open bridge for the sole reason that you are not familiar with how to use a closed bridge. Some people who play with an open bridge regularly may tell you that power shots (such as power draw) are better performed with a closed bridge. I think this is a matter of preference as I have seen many players perform power shots with an open bridge. I personally prefer an open bridge as I feel like I can sight the shot more fully using an open bridge. I also feel that I do not require powder or a glove due to humid conditions or conditions where my hands may be sweating.

- Steve

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Closed bridge is not necessary at all imo.
I use it when cueing low on the cue ball, as I find it helps a little with getting an accurate hit on the cue ball at the expense of being able to sight along the line of the cue.
In a game like snooker where precise aim is always necessary, there is no place for a closed bridge.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
A number of pros shoot mostly with an open bridge, but even those players
will switch to a closed one for some situations.

For example when the rail interferes and makes an open bridge wobbly,
they close it.

Some also prefer it for long power draw where there's a tendency for the player
to strain and use a lot of extra muscles, which in turn can cause the tip
to move around more than it should.

I use mostly an open bridge mostly, but there are times I wonder...
I won't absolutely say it's just a matter of preference.
It might be that one is better than the other.

All I can say is keep an open mind and at least experiment with it.

Also bear in mind that a lot of players shun the closed bridge for the wrong reasons.
They get some chafing as the stick slides back and forth and feel like the bridge
will always cause that problem. But a lot of players use smaller diameter shafts
and gloves and completely eliminate that issue. So if you try closed bridge,
make sure you can give it a fair chance by minimizing chafing.

salted

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course with shots near the rail you may choose to play with a closed bridge but I personally never use a closed bridge otherwise. Key is just to keep your head as still as possible and have a strong bridge hand. I think you should be fine as long you get the fundamentals right. If you need help watch hunter lombardo or the taiwanese play. Even Wu Jia Qing plays with an open bridge most of the time.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed grip gives you more accuracy, especially when you need to shot harder than a medium shot.
I mostly use closed grip, but tend to use open grip on very soft shots and shots where my hand is very close to the cueball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a marginal player who is improving at a pretty good rate. One thing though is that I've never used a closed bridge. My question is, do you feel as though experience with a closed bridge is necessary for one to improve or be a "good" player? I've always felt awkward when using a closed bridge, but I'm sure I could get fairly good at it with a lot of practice if necessary, but the question is, do those of you out there feel that it's necessary, or can a player do well enough with an open bridge to be good?

Thanks

You'd want a closed bridge for anything with more power, and for some medium draw shots. English outside of 1/2 tip may be tricky if you use more than 30% power I would think with an open bridge. Just because the cue will be bouncing off the edge more and you want it steady to go forward not swing aside. Center ball you can hit pretty much as hard as you want with an open bridge.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A closed bridge will not give you a more accurate contact on the cue ball, neither will an open bridge. That's all to do with your stroke. If you can't hit the cue ball where you want with an open bridge the same will be true if you use a closed bridge.

Both bridge types have their advantages. A closed bridge is great in situations where you can't lay your hand flat for what ever reason, balls, rails etc. It stops the cue from raising up after contact with the cue ball when shooting with power. However it does have some down sides. I have my chin resting on the cue so a closed bridge can obscure some of the cue ball. The cue sticks and rubs against your fingers more and it can be quite hard, for me anyway, to get the closed bridge low enough to hit maximum draw.

I would deffinately suggest you practice it until you master it and it feels comfortable. Even if the pros use an open bridge 95% of the time they have the closed bridge in their arsenal and use it when needed.

Lastly try not to let what bridge you use bother you. Like I said practice the closed bridge until you are comfortable with it and then never think about what bridge is going to be best for this shot etc. Let your subconcious decide what bridge you need to use. It will pick the bridge that you are most comfortable with for any given shot and that will get the best results.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I especially like the part about letting your subconscious pick the bridge for the shot.

Last edited:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Open bridge is fine but I don't think you can hit the harder (force) draw and force follow shots without a solid closed bridge. I think that any shot that requires the use of a lot of english you need to use a closed bridge to hit that exact spot on the cueball.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
You should tell that to Ronnie O'Sullivan..

:lol:

Funny you should say that but I think in Snooker they can't used a closed bridge. I mean the balls are smaller and their cue sticks are a fricking needle. I will admit that the man is a BEAST and all without using a closed bridge :eek:

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I not only play with an open bridge but according to one BCA instructor that I play with

"That's the most open bridge I have ever seen". This instructor said he has now idea how the shaft of my cue even stays in place:eek:. I asked him if I should change it and he adamantly said NO!. I guess I play good enough that he said "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Having stated that> Work on a closed bridge. It is a important part of your arsenal and you should get comfortable using one.

I started playing with a closed bridge on certain shots including my break and have never looked back:cool:

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
bridge

Due to surgery on my left index finger I am unable to bend that finger in order to make a closed bridge. Guess I'll have to give up those long power draws!