UltraSkins and SIBs

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
First of all I want to say right up front. From my experience the UltraSkin is the best tip that I have ever tried. I have been through dozens, and this has been my favorite (second place being a tie between a pressed triangle, a good one, and the emerald, but only for two months and then it needed replaced). As far as longevity, reliability, consistency and performance, there has been nothing that has come close... and they are CHEAP... but in all honesty cost isn't even much of a factor, they just plain work.

My question is, what the hell is the deal with the SIBs. I know that Tom says they are close to the old Mooris, but I am either not old enough to have experienced the "good ones" or I just plain don't like mooris.

I started playing pool in 2004, and tried a moori M, but I cut it off after a week and went back to a french triumph.

Can someone please try to explain what a "good moori" would have played like?

Or just explain the actual difference in hit between the US and the SIB? PLEASE

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Also, before anyone gets sassy... I tried using the search but "SIB" is too short to produce results!

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Well.... I have tried several Ultra skins..... Did not like them..... Tried the SIBs... Love them...... I have had one on for a few months... Still holds chalk and plays like the first day.....

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well.... I have tried several Ultra skins..... Did not like them..... Tried the SIBs... Love them...... I have had one on for a few months... Still holds chalk and plays like the first day.....

I might have to try the SIBs then, cause I didn't like the ultraskins either. I might give the ultraskins another go too, only because I was so new at the time, maybe my likes and dislikes have changed. But at the time, did not like them at all. Kept going back to the Kamui Black softs and super softs. I don't like those either now sooo...

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I might have to try the SIBs then, cause I didn't like the ultraskins either. I might give the ultraskins another go too, only because I was so new at the time, maybe my likes and dislikes have changed. But at the time, did not like them at all. Kept going back to the Kamui Black softs and super softs. I don't like those either now sooo...

I would suggest a Dennis Searing tip (precision tips) as well.... Those and the SIBs are my 2 top tips of all time....

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best possible thread for Tips I have seen.

On the UltraSkin's I have taken the Tip as Soft and as Hard as I feel comfortable with using the process that gives it a distinctive hit. This has no bearing on as a player you would be comfortable with the hit obtained. The process done in the tanning combined with where the leather is taken from the tip makes this so. If you don't like or do like UltraSkins, that's where it sits, you will either continue to like them or continue to not like them.

The SIB layered comes from a different part of the pig and the tanning process is completely different. Bottom Line a SIB soft will not hit anything like an UltraSkin soft, it cannot. I have not gone up and down the scale on the SIB as far as I can. I will not commit but by request I might come out with a hard.

Price is not objective in what Tips sell for. Keep in mind, I am retired, the UltraSkins for those that like them are like 5 years proven. I could get $2.00 more a Tip pretty easy but it would take my posts about why I do this and make it a big lie.

Use your market choice and just keep knocking the balls in the pockets, its a lot healthier than sitting playing Video Games, LOL. :thumbup:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unhappy with Ultra Skins

Recently I purchased another Meucci cue. A brand new one that I picked up personally from Bob at his factory in Bahalyia, Mississippi. He swears up and down about how good the Ultra Skins are, but honestly, after 6 weeks of playing every day for four or five hours (except Sundays) I just can't grow to like the tip.

Last night I replaced it with a Water Buffalo that a friend gave to me to try. I don't see how it could be worse but time will tell. I'll try it today.

I seriously think I will not ever be going back to Ultra Skins. Very little action.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The SIB layered comes from a different part of the pig and the tanning process is completely different. Bottom Line a SIB soft will not hit anything like an UltraSkin soft, it cannot. I have not gone up and down the scale on the SIB as far as I can. I will not commit but by request I might come out with a hard.

Tom,

I'd love to see the SIB tips offered in Hard and Medium Hard.

Thanks,
Keith

3rdeyemedia

SIB vs UltraSkin

I will agree with Tom that they do hit a fell very different. I really like the SIB Pro and SIB Medium. I think if you have two of the same shafts it would be wise to have one of each. The SIB Pro will give a softer hit and more spin at a lower speed. The SIB Medium feels about as hard as a LePro but has much more control. They both hold chalk very well and I have never miscued with either.

If you are a person who like to hit the balls hard the SIB medium will feel more lively. When I am playing league I am playing a lot of shape and safeties so I prefer the SIB Pro. It allows me to feel exactly how hard I am hitting so that I can get nice stop or slight draw. To me it is more precise and predictable. The SIB Medium is more lively and can sometimes over draw on fast 9ft tables if I stroke too fast.

I couldn't imagine needing anything harder than a SIB Medium. Overall, i really like them both and use them in difference circumstances.

The UltraSkin Medium to me had too much energy and I miscued with it more often especially when using high-top for follow. It seems slicker even when roughed up and it felt more like a stacked layered tip. Cutting this tip down at least 3/4 to maybe half might help. Did not need to do this with the SIB's.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked what the durometer tests showed the hardness to be for the SIB tips. I got no answer, so...

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I asked what the durometer tests showed the hardness to be for the SIB tips. I got no answer, so...
I am sorry, I try to answer everyone.

A Durometer Hardness test can not show the Hardness of a Layered Cue Tip. I will give 20 TIPS FREE to the First person who without my help will look it up and explain why and put it on this thread http://www.ccsi-inc.com/images/ptc/306l.pdf Page 2 LOL

If the tests were valid for SIB they would read as below.

PRO 62.7
Soft 65.2
Medium 73.9

Thanks,
Tom

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry, I try to answer everyone.

A Durometer Hardness test can not show the Hardness of a Layered Cue Tip. I will give 20 TIPS FREE to the First person who without my help will look it up and explain why and put it on this thread http://www.ccsi-inc.com/images/ptc/306l.pdf Page 2 LOL

If the tests were valid for SIB they would read as below.

PRO 62.7
Soft 65.2
Medium 73.9

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Tom. I was surprised at not get to getting an answer. We're all good.
Thanks again for the explanation!!

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with ultra skins is different. I really like the black,original ones.
Too me they are a good layered tip at a great price.
I was really stoked when the SIB came out, because I prefer the looks much better. Ordered one, put it on and had so many miss cues that I cut it off after 2 weeks.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tom. I was surprised at not get to getting an answer. We're all good.
Thanks again for the explanation!!

I am sure these days its my fault. Due to Medicare my Doctors have had me gong in circles. We had the Hurricane. My 92 year old Mom sold her house and bought a Condo like mine.

Sometimes I will read something via Cell Phone, not have the answer handy, save it for mail computer, and it doesn't save Arrrgh. Mu customers are everything to me so don't be scared to beep the horn a couple of times.

Apprecoated.