Viewpoint Mosconi Teams

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
With the US team already picked and working out....and the European team still TBD (us open nine ball results). I feel this will have an impact + Chamat as their coach. Also on the US side, JB and Corey any mud there?....How can ya not like Corey?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dammot, bill.

You gonna make us think about our next beating already? Ow!

Haha...USA! USA! USA!

Corey belongs, imo and always.

moose man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Bill, we certainly have a strong chance of winning this time. I was in Vegas for the 2015 MC, and it was much closer than the score showed. If I remember correctly, I think there were three or four matches that went hill-hill and Europe won all of them. It was actually kind of close in 2015, and I feel like this year's chances have to be a good improvement on our 2015 chances.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
To me given where they are in their careers right now, it was a 50/50 flip for Oscar or Corey. I like both players, but a choice had to be made.

As to advantage, I think the only thing the choosing ahead has done instead of waiting for rankings points is possibly level the playing field. America needed the extra time to gel as a team and get used to the format because they don't usually play in short race alternate break. Europe is more used to that format and used to gelling quicker as a team due to the great job by Johan and Marcus for so many years, so they can plug people in easier.

Obviously we know that Ralf is back on the team. I suspect that Vandenberg will have a strong enough showing in the Open 9 ball championship to keep his third place ranking. For wild cards, I would probably pick David Alcaide (Masters Champion) and Ouschan (WCP champion), unless both have terrible showings, but David is having a great year. That would leave Joshua Filler as the number 2 or 3 world ranking spot unless he collapses at the open or just doesn't go. But if it stays as Ralf, Filler, and Vandenberg, I would say definitely pick up Albin and then either Alcaide or Darren for experience, though I feel with Darren's year it would be hard to justify picking him unless he has a great finish at the open this year.

Bergman is a good player, he just didn't have the year. Johan also got to see him play for the last few years and may know something about him we don't and left him off for chemistry or some other reason. Regardless, I doubt Johan would feel guilty about blasting Europe off the map to show his coaching really did help the Euros to so many victories.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree Bill, we certainly have a strong chance of winning this time. I was in Vegas for the 2015 MC, and it was much closer than the score showed. If I remember correctly, I think there were three or four matches that went hill-hill and Europe won all of them. It was actually kind of close in 2015, and I feel like this year's chances have to be a good improvement on our 2015 chances.

Eight of the Mosconi Cup matches in 2015 went hill/hill, and each team won 4 of them.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me given where they are in their careers right now, it was a 50/50 flip for Oscar or Corey. I like both players, but a choice had to be made.

As to advantage, I think the only thing the choosing ahead has done instead of waiting for rankings points is possibly level the playing field. America needed the extra time to gel as a team and get used to the format because they don't usually play in short race alternate break. Europe is more used to that format and used to gelling quicker as a team due to the great job by Johan and Marcus for so many years, so they can plug people in easier.

Obviously we know that Ralf is back on the team. I suspect that Vandenberg will have a strong enough showing in the Open 9 ball championship to keep his third place ranking. For wild cards, I would probably pick David Alcaide (Masters Champion) and Ouschan (WCP champion), unless both have terrible showings, but David is having a great year. That would leave Joshua Filler as the number 2 or 3 world ranking spot unless he collapses at the open or just doesn't go. But if it stays as Ralf, Filler, and Vandenberg, I would say definitely pick up Albin and then either Alcaide or Darren for experience, though I feel with Darren's year it would be hard to justify picking him unless he has a great finish at the open this year.

Bergman is a good player, he just didn't have the year. Johan also got to see him play for the last few years and may know something about him we don't and left him off for chemistry or some other reason. Regardless, I doubt Johan would feel guilty about blasting Europe off the map to show his coaching really did help the Euros to so many victories.

Jayson Shaw HAS to be one of Chamat’s wild card picks.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, Team Europe for 2017 MC is:
Ralf Souquet
Joshua Filler
Nick van den Berg
Jayson Shaw

and the final pick must be
David Alcaide or Albin Ouschan.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well while MC 2015 maybe had the feeling of close encounter in fact it wasnt close at all. The overall match score was 11:7 with games score of 77:65 (btw there were 8 hill-hill matches with both Euro and USA winning four of those matches). If you run these numbers through fargorate calculator it looks even worse for USA because such scores would indicate encouter of fargorate 800 player against fargorate 730 player (which wasnt the case of course). So for whatever reason USA players heavily underachieved compared to their real fargorate numbers in 2015. This year? I have strange feeling it will be a lot different story :eek::rolleyes:

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bergman is a good player, he just didn't have the year.
Johan also got to see him play for the last few years and may know something about him we don't and left him off for chemistry or some other reason. Regardless, I doubt Johan would feel guilty about blasting Europe off the map to show his coaching really did help the Euros to so many victories.
I don't think its about his ability or chemistry but the fact he didn't play in enough events to even be considered.

cashin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got that right.Another beating is on the way. Sorry but just stating the truth. We have no chance!
Dammot, bill.

You gonna make us think about our next beating already? Ow!

Haha...USA! USA! USA!

Corey belongs, imo and always.