what type of felt

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what was the question and what was the answer so we all can learn...:)

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis is the answer: the only question is what size is the table, and what game is being played?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played on a pool table that had felt on it.

I just did last night, it was green but felt like velvet not billiard cloth LOL Along with rails that I think were made of pudding it made for a "fun" game.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Does that mean they all had baize?
Dale
I've never played on a pool table that had felt on it.
Do you mean Worsted Pool Table Cloth?
Snooker and UK Pool Table cloth covering is also known as baize (Woolen) which has a napped finish making the cloth directional.
Worsted Pool Table Cloth is Non-Directional and is called Pool Table Cloth.

You will often also hear the terms "Baize" and "Felt" in relation to pool table cloths.

Worsted Cloth

In the UK we tend to use less Worsted cloth; this is the type of cloth that is often known as 'Speed' Cloth. Worsted cloth is still manufactured from sheep's wool but the manufacturing process leaves no discernible nap on the cloth so it is not directional, and as a result will play faster. Some Worsted cloths will have a mixture of natural wool and nylon. A higher amount of nylon in the mix is what can cause burn spots on a speed cloth.

Due to the process in making the cloth, Worsted is generally regarded as a stronger, finer, smoother and harder fabric. Along with pool table cloths, Worsted fabrics are most commonly found in tailored suits.

Worsted cloths are generally found on American Pool tables but there are a number of pubs in the UK that like to install a speed cloth on their tables.

Read more about Worsted Cloth on Wikipedia.

Woollen Cloth

Woollen cloths are much more readily found on pool and snooker tables in the UK. The majority of English Pool and Snooker events worldwide will use a Woollen style cloth.

Woollen cloths have a clear and discernible nap that is directionally arranged; when stroking the hand along a woollen pool table cloth you can actually feel the nap of the cloth. It has a velvety texture and finger marks can remain in the cloth during play. This type of cloth needs more regular brushing and ironing to keep the directional fibres running the correct way.

Read more about Woollens on Wikipedia.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do you mean cloth?
Snooker and UK Pool Table cloth covering is also known as baize which has a napped finish making the cloth directional.
Pool Table Cloth is Non-Directional.

Baize is a much rougher cloth....usually only found on bar boxes in dive bars.
Snooker cloth has a much higher threads per inch ratio.

Not all pool cloth cloth is non-directional....Mali 821 was a big seller for years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baize is a much rougher cloth....usually only found on bar boxes in dive bars.
Snooker cloth has a much higher threads per inch ratio.

Not all pool cloth cloth is non-directional....Mali 821 was a big seller for years.

He wasn't asking.

He knows everything aboit pool and cuesports, even though he just started playing pool recently.

He's a lying sack of it!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you mean Worsted Pool Table Cloth?
Snooker and UK Pool Table cloth covering is also known as baize (Woolen) which has a napped finish making the cloth directional.
Worsted Pool Table Cloth is Non-Directional and is called Pool Table Cloth.

You will often also hear the terms "Baize" and "Felt" in relation to pool table cloths.

Worsted Cloth

In the UK we tend to use less Worsted cloth; this is the type of cloth that is often known as 'Speed' Cloth. Worsted cloth is still manufactured from sheep's wool but the manufacturing process leaves no discernible nap on the cloth so it is not directional, and as a result will play faster. Some Worsted cloths will have a mixture of natural wool and nylon. A higher amount of nylon in the mix is what can cause burn spots on a speed cloth.

Due to the process in making the cloth, Worsted is generally regarded as a stronger, finer, smoother and harder fabric. Along with pool table cloths, Worsted fabrics are most commonly found in tailored suits.

Worsted cloths are generally found on American Pool tables but there are a number of pubs in the UK that like to install a speed cloth on their tables.

Read more about Worsted Cloth on Wikipedia.

Woollen Cloth

Woollen cloths are much more readily found on pool and snooker tables in the UK. The majority of English Pool and Snooker events worldwide will use a Woollen style cloth.

Woollen cloths have a clear and discernible nap that is directionally arranged; when stroking the hand along a woollen pool table cloth you can actually feel the nap of the cloth. It has a velvety texture and finger marks can remain in the cloth during play. This type of cloth needs more regular brushing and ironing to keep the directional fibres running the correct way.

Read more about Woollens on Wikipedia.

Well hell, dont stop there. Find out the difference between the warp, weft, pile and pick. And what a broken twill is.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well hell, dont stop there. Find out the difference between the warp, weft, pile and pick. And what a broken twill is.

And a knot...a knot is when one thread crosses another...
...the more knots per inch, the better the cloth.
That’s why I prefer Granito over Simonis...the ratio is 7-4 in Granito’s favor.

the little I know about this came from cloth people...I used to sell it by the bolt.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Good thing ... or mad as a hatter you could be :eek:

Dave

I’m really hard luck. David....I play on cloth....never owned a felt hat...
...and I’m still as mad as a hatter...:smile2::smile2:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here you go, read all about the history of pool cloth thru the ages.
***Warp, Weft, Pile, Pick and Knots are discussed.***

http://www.allamericanrec.com/blog/bid/234547/What-s-the-difference-between-pool-table-cloth-makers

It's a fair history of the Simonis company but you can't learn much else from it. Specifically, why certain weaves allow cloth to stretch or not stretch in a given direction, why some threads fray while others do not, what difference thread size and count make, or what effects the type of weave has, good or bad.

Unfortunately some folks will spend $400+ on the equivalent of a horse blanket that they know nothing about.