The real reason men are better at pool than women

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physical strength has nothing to do with it. If it did bodybuilders would be making all the balls on the break.

Men work hard on their game to improve relationships with people. That's what drives them, it's not the money. If they work ridiculously hard they have a chance to be liked, respected, admired and maybe even desired by the opposite sex.

Women don't need to work hard to be liked, respected, admired and desired- all they have to do is walk in the room.

Tell me I'm wrong

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has more to do with how many more men play pool than women. It is probably a 10 to 1 ratio. Even having said that I’ve met several women that are definitely better than me, not that I’m a great player or anything- but I’m just saying that some women play really well

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The average balls made on the break, mostly because of strength, is higher with men than woman.

Sure there are women that break hard, but if they average 1 ball less or not making a ball on break its enough to change the game.

Period.

Imagine top players SVB, etc. getting a ball spot.

Ken

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Physical strength has nothing to do with it. If it did bodybuilders would be making all the balls on the break.

Men work hard on their game to improve relationships with people. That's what drives them, it's not the money. If they work ridiculously hard they have a chance to be liked, respected, admired and maybe even desired by the opposite sex.

Women don't need to work hard to be liked, respected, admired and desired- all they have to do is walk in the room.

Tell me I'm wrong

Your bodybuilder argument doesn’t account for diminishing returns and/or terminal speeds.

Dr, Dave would be the one to comment on this, but I’d imagine either A) there is an optimal speed range and once you go over it, it matters much less or B) once you get to a certain speed the cue or object balls would be flying off the table or C) regardless of size a human can only accelerate the standard cue to a max speed that doesn’t require bodybuilding strength.

Whether or not women can generate that speed is another debate.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tell me I'm wrong
I've never heard anyone discuss this subject, and never heard of a theory of why men are better.

Freddie <~~~ at least not this week

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The average balls made on the break, mostly because of strength, is higher with men than woman.

Sure there are women that break hard, but if they average 1 ball less or not making a ball on break its enough to change the game.

Period.

Imagine top players SVB, etc. getting a ball spot.

Ken

I don’t know the numbers, but even if men averaged half a ball more on breaks, in the long run that would be huge.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, 03:47 PM
It has more to do with how many more men play pool than women. It is probably a 10 to 1 ratio.

I was obviously generalizing. There are very strong female players nobody is arguing that. I think everybody knows what I meant by the post. Btw the spot I play at the ratio is 70/30. Still haven't seen a woman in the finals.

Also your logic fails: let's say Asian men are only 10% of participants at local tourneys in US. Then according to your argument they would never win a mixed tourney. However we've all seen an Asian player take first. So no, it's not a numbers thing.

Ok please inform me which woman will beat SVB on a barbox race to 30 where a power headball break was not allowed ( 2nd ball cut break only ).

Also walk in any bar where the break is not a factor ( no runout players ) and show me a female player who's running the table all night. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

this is the dumbest damn thing ive read on this site that i can remember
and thats saying something

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me I'm wrong

How many other screen names have you had on this site? :rolleyes:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your bodybuilder argument doesn’t account for diminishing returns and/or terminal speeds.

Dr, Dave would be the one to comment on this, but I’d imagine either A) there is an optimal speed range and once you go over it, it matters much less or B) once you get to a certain speed the cue or object balls would be flying off the table or C) regardless of size a human can only accelerate the standard cue to a max speed that doesn’t require bodybuilding strength.

What about testosterone?
Simple enough?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is the dumbest damn thing
If you can't debate nor contribute in a meaningful way please be quite.

How many other screen names have you had on this site?
Just this one. Sometimes I go by Joe_Jaguar but only when I have nothing useful to say :wink:

I get that my original post is not PC and is controversial. Doesn't make it not true.

What about testosterone?
Simple enough?
Interesting. Good point. That might be it but I'm not an expert to further comment. On second thought testosterone levels drop as one ages so Efren would have been getting killed by 20 year old bar players if that was the case.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you guys fail to acknowledge is that among the world's elite male pro players, NONE of them pocket a ball on the break every time. The break is about speed and timing...nothing else. Ideally, the break is a high speed stop shot on the head ball. The weight of the cuestick, being essentially 3x the weight of the CB, can develop a great deal of kinetic energy (which requires no tight grip, no lunging at the rack, and no hyper-flexing of muscles). Learn to use the weight of the cue, a light grip, and timing to create the speed of the cuestick..and then an accurate strike on the CB, and you'll start generating consistent results.

IMO, the main reason women don't break as well as men, is because of poor technique. Hugely extended followthrough doesn't do anything extra that could cause more energy to be generated through the CB, due to the insanely short dwell time the tip is on the ball (1/1000th of a second). Plenty of men who are guilty of this too! Watch how SVB breaks. Keep it simple, and you'll develop a better break, no matter what game you play.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Well, are you talking about Marilyn Monroe, or Rosie O'Donnell? Makes somewhat of a difference, by your statement.

Think you're on a bit shaky ground here...

All the best,
WW

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see any anatomical reason why men would have more 'quick twitch' muscle fibers in their arms than women, especially since the number of quick twitch muscles is not dependent on how strong you are. I suggest that in time, women will learn how to swing the cue better, and be breaking on a par with the men.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com