US Amateur

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Brian Parks wins... Again.... #5 so far..... Guy shoots straight... Would someone else please go win that event next year????? lol..... Congrats bud..

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it..... Brian Parks is an amazing pool player. He is also a pro at this point.

It's simple really- the reward for winning the US Amateur is entry to a pro event. He has used the win to get entry to the US Open which he has then cashed in beating the likes of Bustamante and several other top pros. He has also cashed in several other pro tournaments.

He displays pro characteristics. Why is he allowed to play in an amateur league event? I get that it is considered the top APA event with the top amateurs in the country supposedly but at what point is he considered to be robbing an event after winning it 5 times?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I don't get it..... Brian Parks is an amazing pool player. He is also a pro at this point.

It's simple really- the reward for winning the US Amateur is entry to a pro event. He has used the win to get entry to the US Open which he has then cashed in beating the likes of Bustamante and several other top pros. He has also cashed in several other pro tournaments.

He displays pro characteristics. Why is he allowed to play in an amateur league event? I get that it is considered the top APA event with the top amateurs in the country supposedly but at what point is he considered to be robbing an event after winning it 5 times?

I couldn't agree more, if he isn't a low level pro I don't know what is...

b

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I guess they look at it like this......
Definition of:
Amateur = A person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

But it is time for him to be beaten..... lol

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much did he win for the U.S. Amateur? Nothing, a trophy
So who really cares, he’s not hurting anyone.
Is he a pro speed player, probably yes on the lower end of the totem pole, but again, who cares, he’s not hurting anyone

Last edited:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, who gives a shit?

The guy plays pool as a hobby. Let the guy play and have fun. Someone has to be the best amateur. If not him, it’d be someone else.

This soft society we’ve evolved into’s first instinct is “let someone else win,” instead of “maybe I should get good enough to beat him if I don’t like it.”

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..........but at what point is he considered to be robbing an event after winning it 5 times?

Oh yea, he’s totally robbing an event paying more for travel and boarding than the entry fee he wins to the “pro” tournament that anyone can enter.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy has made a bit over 21k since 2000. Watch out amateurs, this guy robs us of about $1300 every year.......

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like some jealousy goin on in this thread. Actually I think the guy is smart. Every one laments the fact there is no money in pool so why should a guy who obviously enjoys playing for the fun of it go pro ? Although he plays pretty sporty he would be a bottom feeder to the likes of most pros.

I would like to congratulate two local players who played in it. Sarah pitcock finished 9th in the women's division and Shane Robinson finished 49 th in the men's. I think its pretty awesome that Sarah.....who is a s/l 5 and plays the majority of her matches on valleys was able to finish that high . We do have a few stronger females in our area and I wonder how they would have fared ?

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like some jealousy goin on in this thread. Actually I think the guy is smart. Every one laments the fact there is no money in pool so why should a guy who obviously enjoys playing for the fun of it go pro ? Although he plays pretty sporty he would be a bottom feeder to the likes of most pros.

I would like to congratulate two local players who played in it. Sarah pitcock finished 9th in the women's division and Shane Robinson finished 49 th in the men's. I think its pretty awesome that Sarah.....who is a s/l 5 and plays the majority of her matches on valleys was able to finish that high . We do have a few stronger females in our area and I wonder how they would have fared ?

Unfortunately a lot of talent doesn’t show up for the event because there isn’t much of a reward for placing. So you’ll only get people who really love pool AND can afford to go.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately a lot of talent doesn’t show up for the event because there isn’t much of a reward for placing. So you’ll only get people who really love pool AND can afford to go.

Very true and exactly why I have never tried to qualify. Not saying I would win the one qualifier we have in our area but if I did qualify I could not afford that trip to just go 2 and out which I know i would lol

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you realize he came a breath away from losing? If he would have lost does that mean the guy who beat him should be banned? I can see both sides though

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you realize he came a breath away from losing? If he would have lost does that mean the guy who beat him should be banned? I can see both sides though

I could see the other side if he had something to gain. If he was making a substantial amount of money by winning or if he was making a living playing.

But just to prohibit him because he’s winning, especially since most people that complain aren’t the ones he’s beating deep in tournaments isn’t logicial.

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Parks is currently ranked 60 in the Top 100 USA Fargo Rating system - http://www.fargorate.com/top-ten-lists. He's two points higher than Tony Robles and ten points behind Ernesto Dominguez. Both of them are bona fide professionals.

The following is a description of a 700+ player from the Fargo site:
700 - A top regional player in the US – a solid entry in the Grand Master Division or a clear threat to cash in the Master’s Division at the BCAPL Championships – a threat to run six in a row if the break is working. Around top 50 in the Eurotour. World-Class female player.

The old Grandmaster in BCA included the likes of SVB, Corey Deuel, Chris Melling, Justin Bergmen, etc.

Facts are facts.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Parks is currently ranked 60 in the Top 100 USA Fargo Rating system - http://www.fargorate.com/top-ten-lists. He's two points higher than Tony Robles and ten points behind Ernesto Dominguez. Both of them are bona fide professionals.

The old Grandmaster in BCA included the likes of SVB, Corey Deuel, Chris Melling, Justin Bergmen, etc.

Facts are facts.

So, you think he should not be allowed to play in the APA, thus taking away a hobby from him because he plays well?

(Also fact, APA considers a pro as someone who makes their living playing pool)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
There are a number of 700 plus fargo rated players in the US Am's.

I don't see the issue.

Facts are facts.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the guy spends more money going to this event then what the entry fee to enter the open lol He’s not robbing anything. You get no money for winning this event. Lol