Anyone have a Stroke... and back to Pool?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a stroke and back to pool?

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend that's had 2 major strokes
in the 18 years I've known him.
He's in a wheelchair as well.
Some power shots aren't available to him,
and he's compensated by learning to play
natural angles and banks allot more.
He only likes 1 Pocket, and still shoots pretty dang sporty!
As long as you enjoy the game,
you're physically able,
and have access to a table,
don't let yourself be discouraged.
Always try to enjoy the time you're able to be at the table.
I wish you good health, and hope that you are able to
continue playing pool.
Frustrating as it can be, it's still a good time.
-Franky

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a friend that's had 2 major strokes
in the 18 years I've known him.
He's in a wheelchair as well.
Some power shots aren't available to him,
and he's compensated by learning to play
natural angles and banks allot more.
He only likes 1 Pocket, and still shoots pretty dang sporty!
As long as you enjoy the game,
you're physically able,
and have access to a table,
don't let yourself be discouraged.
Always try to enjoy the time you're able to be at the table.
I wish you good health, and hope that you are able to
continue playing pool.
Frustrating as it can be, it's still a good time.
-Franky

Thanks for that. I had a pretty minor damage with it but my pool game has been hurt about 1/2 of a level. I was low A and now medium B. My concentration is off. The doctor says I have A-fib and think it is due to my sleep patterns. I wonder how many others have A-fib and never get it checked out. On routine annual physicals, they don't usually check it out. I'm on blood thinners and a CPAP machine for sleep. Blood thinners mean that I won't have another stroke. It is what it is....

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I am six months past my last ablation for afib (third one) My heart issues were so bad I could not play anymore. I never had silent ones, but I also have structural problems in my heart that add to the issues. I am now doing so good that my Dr. took me off of all heart medicine. Still on cpap and blood thinners though because of the enlarged atrium and scarring inside.

Thankfully this was all found out before a stroke which was bound to happen.

Thanks for that. I had a pretty minor damage with it but my pool game has been hurt about 1/2 of a level. I was low A and now medium B. My concentration is off. The doctor says I have A-fib and think it is due to my sleep patterns. I wonder how many others have A-fib and never get it checked out. On routine annual physicals, they don't usually check it out. I'm on blood thinners and a CPAP machine for sleep. Blood thinners mean that I won't have another stroke. It is what it is....

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi had a stroke at age 43. He wasn't as active after that, but still did some good playing.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I am six months past my last ablation for afib (third one) My heart issues were so bad I could not play anymore. I never had silent ones, but I also have structural problems in my heart that add to the issues. I am now doing so good that my Dr. took me off of all heart medicine. Still on cpap and blood thinners though because of the enlarged atrium and scarring inside.

Thankfully this was all found out before a stroke which was bound to happen.

Good for you never having a stroke, they can be very bad. Mine was minor compared to most.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atrial Flutter here and subsequent heavy does of blood thinners for 4 years now, heavy enough that I had to sell my Harleys just as a realistic practical matter.

I'm not sure which is worse, A-fib or A-flutter but I do know when mine was diagnosed my resting pulse rate was 190. They suspect mine was caused by bad sleep apnea (AHI of 138) so yes, I do the CPAP thing too. Sure wish I had discovered CPAP many years before.

I haven't had the cojones to undergo an ablation yet but after a few cardioversion attempts mine seems to be controlled by meds. You never know.

Hoping to avoid a stroke, but in any event gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Atrial Flutter here and subsequent heavy does of blood thinners for 4 years now, heavy enough that I had to sell my Harleys just as a realistic practical matter.

I'm not sure which is worse, A-fib or A-flutter but I do know when mine was diagnosed my resting pulse rate was 190. They suspect mine was caused by bad sleep apnea (AHI of 138) so yes, I do the CPAP thing too. Sure wish I had discovered CPAP many years before.

I haven't had the cojones to undergo an ablation yet but after a few cardioversion attempts mine seems to be controlled by meds. You never know.

Keep hanging it in there. Great that you sold the Harleys for good measure.

My cardiologist said that 99% of people taking blood thinners will never have another stroke. That's what I'm hoping for.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to have a stroke.

i get your humor/ sarcasm
but when it comes to someones health issues you may want to be alitle more sensitve and control yourself
i personally dont think its funny in the context of the thread
in spite of the fact i get it
jmho
icbw

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Good luck to you. Hopefully it stays under control with CPAP and medicine. I had to go the abulation route (third one) as the meds I was on was only allowed for me to be a two year plan based on my age. Trust me after the second one I did not want a third but I ended up with a very good doctor at John's Hopkins. They were unbelievable.

Something else to consider stay hydrated, and eliminate caffeine and alcohol from your diet. They can act as triggers also.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
i get your humor/ sarcasm
but when it comes to someones health issues you may want to be alitle more sensitve and control yourself
i personally dont think its funny in the context of the thread
in spite of the fact i get it
jmho
icbw

It certainly wasn't sarcasm, and it wasn't humor just for the sake of humor. I can only say that we have different senses of humor because if I was in the OP's position lightening the mood like this would actually make me feel better about my situation, which was my intention.

I would rather someone show that you can still have a sense of humor about such things, rather than get nothing but somber responses, which can sometimes simply reinforce the negative. Anyway, best wishes to the OP.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck to you. Hopefully it stays under control with CPAP and medicine. I had to go the abulation route (third one) as the meds I was on was only allowed for me to be a two year plan based on my age. Trust me after the second one I did not want a third but I ended up with a very good doctor at John's Hopkins. They were unbelievable.

Something else to consider stay hydrated, and eliminate caffeine and alcohol from your diet. They can act as triggers also.

You're exactly right about the alcohol and caffeine Tony, and I have cut those things completely out. Yes, proper hydration and maintaining your electrolyte balance is very important too.

MyImmortal

Registered
Anyone have a stroke and back to pool?
Tor Lowry receives many applicants for his '14 Days - The Great Pool Experiment' program each year from players who have had a stroke and have varying levels of disability. I am ever amazed at the strength and determination of those who love pool so much, they will endure whatever it takes to get back to the game. Tor has successfully helped multiple stroke victims learn the easiest way, given their specific issues, to get back to the game. And, I have seen one person for whom "getting back to pool," ended up being their greatest form of stroke rehabilitation. I was in a wheelchair for nearly two years, fighting to even stand on my own again. Tor helped me learn how getting back to pool could help me, most especially with strength, stamina, and regaining lost cognitive skills. Having also seen many veterans, some who lost limbs in combat, fight through it all to come back to pool even stronger, I would encourage anybody to consider returning to pool and to be determined to learn ways to overcome what they may think is impossible, most particularly, those for whom pool was a major part of their life.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
It certainly wasn't sarcasm, and it wasn't humor just for the sake of humor. I can only say that we have different senses of humor because if I was in the OP's position lightening the mood like this would actually make me feel better about my situation, which was my intention.

I would rather someone show that you can still have a sense of humor about such things, rather than get nothing but somber responses, which can sometimes simply reinforce the negative. Anyway, best wishes to the OP.

Many thanks! My stroke wasn't as bad as most can be so I am lucky there. On blood thinners now so hopefully no more strokes. Just working on my pool game to get it back where it was..

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
the jury (medicos) are still out on me - whether or not I recently experienced a TIA (mini stroke). Lost vision in one eye for just 5-6 min one day in Aug and was hospitalized for a few days while they did a lot of testing and "observation". No definitive answers and are continuing testing even now.

Complicating matters for me is a long history of severe neuro Lyme disease (effing ticks) that has resulted in years of inflammation and lots of related problems incl needing an aortic valve replacement 2 years ago.

I did have an afib event but they couldn't put me on the blood thinners because of other issues. Will be getting a cardio loop recorder installed next week to monitor.

Of course all of this crap effects pool play but like everything else that we need to do or really want to do, you just keep moving forward on them, best you can.

Approx 12 years ago when visiting my oldest son & family in Palm Beach, I found a pool joint on Okeechobee and I got to talking with the guy behind the counter. Nice fellow who said he was a former FL 9b champ, said he was good friend with Dennis Searing who I also visited on this trip at his shop in Wellington.

This guy said he was knocked out of high level play by a stroke and he showed me a device he had made to stabilize his bridge hand that was badly affected. This allows him to keep playing the game he loves. :thumbup:

Reminds me of my first ever meeting with Scotty Simonetti who I drew at SBE some years ago. For those who don't know him (like me then) Scott is an open level player who got a terrible infection that cost him an arm and one lower leg. When I first saw him just before our match I thought how nice to see someone so dedicated that he had a special prosthetic made for playing pool. I was also wondering who I might draw in the next round. Well, of course, there was no next round for me; Scott pretty much shot my liver out and this whole experience inspired me to write a story about it which I called "Unarmed And Dangerous". And btw, his magnificent prosthetic was made by the late great cuemake, Paul Fanelli.

For me the takeaway from all of this is that if you live long enough something is gonna try to get in your way. I think most humans are wired to make the best of their situations. Not all, but most. :smile:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• scott-simonetti-meme-2.jpg
    scott-simonetti-meme-2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited: