Aiming System "Wars"

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great post. I believe Mark Wilson wrote that if a player wants to play at a high level, the stroke needs to be accurate enough to consistently strike the CB within 1mm of where you intend to strike it. And that's probably the only real secret to playing great pool.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched aiming system debates, fights, and arguments for almost a year now.
I am convinced that the name itself of "aiming SYSTEM" is the real problem for the turmoil.

LOL. You really think this is the reason for the 20 year flame war? LOL. I'll have some of what you are smoking, Duke.

The reason for the war is painfully obvious to an objective observer, but I don't even want to get into it. 10 attack posts from the usual 2 or 3 suspects are sure to follow this one and I haven't even gone near what I think the problem is.

On top of all that, some people get their jollies by walking around AZ with a chip on their shoulder.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incredible!
I make a thoughtful and calm posting and right away the negativism comes out of the woodwork.
God help us all.

Jeez, man. Just take your own advice and lighten up a little!

Back to topic, if you think the single word "system" is responsible for all the arguing then this isn't a particularly thoughtful post.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I have watched aiming system debates, fights, and arguments for almost a year now.
I am convinced that the name itself of "aiming SYSTEM" is the real problem for the turmoil.
Everyone who shoots pool with any degree of consistency has some method of aiming the balls. They just don't know it's a system.....actually it is a METHOD.
There are many aiming methods and all are merely ways to GET ON THE CORRECT SHOT LINE OVER AND OVER CONSISTENTLY.( Except for one. That would be "that looks like it's pretty good, I think I can make that ball" method. That method has poor percentage attached to it because it is primarily guessing.)
The Hit A Million Balls (HAMB) method is certainly deadly and has been proven to work, but it just takes too darn long to acquire.
ALL the other aiming methods have defined, precise, steps to raise the percentage of success by getting the shooter to the correct shot line in an organized way. Some seem absurd, too complicated, goofy, weak, silly,...you name it and pool shooters can find something about it that they don't like.
The methods are numerous... contact points, pivots, poolology, 90-90, CTE, Touch of Inside, shiskabob, Hit a Million Balls ,fractions, shaft aiming, even the fraction concepts in Mosconi's books works for SOMEBODY.
It just gets down to which method works best for each shooter. A shooter has to experiment and find the one that works best for them and then adapt to it.
It is for certain though, that if a shooter has a stroke issue, any aiming method isn't going to help very much no matter which one is selected. (could be that's why some players keep trying this and then trying that and then this and then that, etc.etc.etc.?)
On a personal level, I have been experimenting with the method I chose for aiming and lining up the shot through an unusual test==> By getting down into the pre-determined shot line, closing my eyes, and stroking one time to pull the trigger. The high degree of pocketed balls doing this (no, I don't keep any records) tells me that the aiming method I've selected coupled with a straight stroke is working just fine for me. Even the misses rattle in the pocket! Now that is a real confidence builder....and the elimination of a variable that I don't need when in combat.
I suggest players try that test using their method(s) and see what they conclude. It might just be encouraging. Maybe it could end the "wars".....? :wink:
Aiming methods are wonderful tools...but they still need a straight stroke to pull it off.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Yes indeed. HAMB tends to reinforce bad habits for many with aim, stance and stroke and many students come to me (and other teachers) because their game hasn't improved in ten years or more.

Every player from pro to beginner uses one or more methods to get on the shots.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. You really think this is the reason for the 20 year flame war? LOL. I'll have some of what you are smoking, Duke.

The reason for the war is painfully obvious to an objective observer, but I don't even want to get into it. 10 attack posts from the usual 2 or 3 suspects are sure to follow this one and I haven't even gone near what I think the problem is.

On top of all that, some people get their jollies by walking around AZ with a chip on their shoulder.

Well you certainly are not an objective observer. An objective observer wouldn't get banned multiple times for flaming

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post. I believe Mark Wilson wrote that if a player wants to play at a high level, the stroke needs to be accurate enough to consistently strike the CB within 1mm of where you intend to strike it. And that's probably the only real secret to playing great pool.

This can be mistaken for the actual tip of the cue to strike at that said window and that is true if the back of the cue butt matches that angle of attack.

This gives me an idea or mindset that I'll try today. Thanks.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This can be mistaken for the actual tip of the cue to strike at that said window and that is true if the back of the cue butt matches that angle of attack.

This gives me an idea or mindset that I'll try today. Thanks.

That's exactly what he means -- the tip of the cue striking the CB within 1mm of where you are trying to hit it. This is only possible with a great consistent stroke. Ensuring the stroke is aligned properly through the CB is what you're talking about, having the butt end match where the tip is pointing.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what he means -- the tip of the cue striking the CB within 1mm of where you are trying to hit it. This is only possible with a great consistent stroke. Ensuring the stroke is aligned properly through the CB is what you're talking about, having the butt end match where the tip is pointing.

Yes and thats what i meant by trying to express the difference, because the average player thinks too much in terms of tip placement, not realizing that, even when achieved, the shot misses and leaves that person scratching their head.

I think its more accurate if this requirement is expressed and stressed as "stroke direction" and its importance, which obviously i agree with you, is PARAMOUNT and if solved, you got this pool ***** on her knees manggg.

Easier said than done, but who made that rule up? I dont believe it. Its just a "simple" matter of coming to a understanding, with about 5 parameters that need to be employed, that requires another 20 to develop, that takes your mind on a brain twisting journey of yoga like contortions.

Piece of cake. Happy holidays.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Yes indeed. HAMB tends to reinforce bad habits for many with aim, stance and stroke and many students come to me (and other teachers) because their game hasn't improved in ten years or more.

Every player from pro to beginner uses one or more methods to get on the shots

tap tap tap

- Exactly- of course one *method or System* would give a Player his confidence- but knowledge is real power- and to put the puzzle of knowledge together to make IT FIT FOR YOU is the key.
Every human has a different way of understanding- every human has different physical abilities- so it is with mental skills.

You have to empty your Cup of tea if you want to learn and make room for some more k nowledge :)

So many ways can lead to rome :)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
and;

i have been wondering- and i am STILL wondering, why some People are not able to discuss in a civil manner. Everyone has to be so careful to write maybe a single Little word......so that the sentence could be taken as an offence.

So also some ppl here will never has a Chance again to post something normal, harmless.........-because *the other side* seem to be sitting on the rail ready to start the attacks. Very sad imo- seriously-- really sad in my opinion. l

at the very beginning when i joined here years ago, i really tried to understand....-- but i gave up at some Point-- at a Point, where persons started to ignore me, because of not being 100% behind "their opinion"-

to argue with stupidly stubborn humans........- too much waste of time.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
and;

i have been wondering- and i am STILL wondering, why some People are not able to discuss in a civil manner. Everyone has to be so careful to write maybe a single Little word......so that the sentence could be taken as an offence.

So also some ppl here will never has a Chance again to post something normal, harmless.........-because *the other side* seem to be sitting on the rail ready to start the attacks. Very sad imo- seriously-- really sad in my opinion. l

at the very beginning when i joined here years ago, i really tried to understand....-- but i gave up at some Point-- at a Point, where persons started to ignore me, because of not being 100% behind "their opinion"-

to argue with stupidly stubborn humans........- too much waste of time.

It is amazing, isn't it? After all this time....

Great seeing you posting, Ingo