No nyc players in usba nationals

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity i am wondering why no one from NYC is playing in this years nationals, 6-12 Jun next, out in Tucson??? To see the event live streamed for FREE go to United States Billiard Association.net or Professor Cue balls Web siite......sorry i am really bad a providing links............but i suspect you can find it some how or tuther.

Could it be that the NYC rats are too old,too decrepit [as I am which is why i am not there], too broke [money is not a problem in my life any more] or is it some other reason???? I suspect the latter. Something like their love of power supersedes their love of the game??? Just speculation on my part but something is going on and i do not like what it smells like.........

I have been involved in the ABA, the BFUSA and the USBA since before most of you ever heard of those organizations. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY 50 years of involvement in these various organizations, especially the last ten under the REIGN OF TERROR UNDER SHOVAK, I see an organization emerging that is TEAM BASED, with everybody having a role and working, not to benefit themselves, but because they have a passion for the game. Unfortunately it is probably 50 years too late and too little, but finally some are trying. And some are still trying to hang on to the old ways.

I name no names but you all know who you are and if you love yourselves more than the game then take a hike. If you think the question is how can we grow the game you are delusional. It is more a question of how to preserve it, it is on life support, and when caroms goes all other cue sports will be next.

BUT TO UNDERSTAND THIS YOU HAVE TO SEE 200 YEARS INTO THE FUTURE and i doubt that most of you who read these words are capable of that, let alone figuring out what will be happening to you tomorrow.

OH, and yes, I AM AN ASSHOLE, so do not bother telling me that, something i already know.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Its just on life support in America
Americans dont care for it anymore and id love to know why,
Its held together here by people of other nations in big part

The only 2 "american" ranking 3 cushion players are south american born i beleive
Carom is doing well in most other parts of the world

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is wrong about many things, but I'll only correct him on these two: 1) He's not an asshole, he's a bit scatterbrained but he has a good heart. 2) Billiards is not dying. It's doing well in Turkey, Egypt and Colombia, exceptionally well in Korea and Vietnam. If we can piggy-bag with snooker and get a foothold in China, we could see growth and rejuvenation between 2020 and 2030. Cheer up!

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
Defending champion, Hugo Patino, is from NYC. Some of the other top players from NYC have businesses to run. Everyone has reasons for his decisions. That's life.

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is wrong about many things, but I'll only correct him on these two: 1) He's not an asshole, he's a bit scatterbrained but he has a good heart. 2) Billiards is not dying. It's doing well in Turkey, Egypt and Colombia, exceptionally well in Korea and Vietnam. If we can piggy-bag with snooker and get a foothold in China, we could see growth and rejuvenation between 2020 and 2030. Cheer up!

Hi Bert, I agree that billiards is doing well in the parts of the world that you mention above. In order for any game or sport to thrive, it needs young blood to revitalize and energize itself. All of these countries have extremely active junior programs that generate young talent to keep billiards alive.

Due to junior programs, South Korea, Vietnam and Turkey, to name a few, are turning out very talented young players at an amazing rate as are Belgium, France, The Netherlands and Spain. That is not the case in the United States. The only American junior player I have ever seen referenced in this forum in recent years is Luca Tomasetti.

It is very sad that carom billiards is indeed on life support in the USA. Except for a few cities like Houston, LA and NYC, it has become a game played largely by the over 50 crowd. It is yet another example of a game that the United States once competed in on a world level with great success. Now, only a tiny percentage of our older population even knows it exists.

It is very difficult to be optimistic about the future of carom billiards in the USA when it's current condition is so bleak.

Last edited:

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Defending champion, Hugo Patino, is from NYC. Some of the other top players from NYC have businesses to run. Everyone has reasons for his decisions. That's life.

Actually my old friend Hugo is from Columbia, that's a country, the city of Medelin I think,
but yes he has lived in NYC for many years.

Very few of the top players from NYC actually run business unless you consider playing caroms all day long a business.

And of course when one makes a decision one would hope one would have a logical reason to do so. But NOT playing in the USBA Nationals [only a once a year event] sends a message to me. I would be playing myself, even though I now have no chance, just to support the game, had my doctor not forbidden me to go. What is your excuse?

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BERT: I have always enjoyed your words, even when you use such terms as "scatter-brained" [which describes me to a tee and no one else has ever used before in relationship to my mentality---write on brother]

Correct me if I am wrong but is not billiards in the countries you mentioned a government supported program, not a NGO as in this country. I do know that in Vietnam, where i returned to in 2005, i was reading in the local English language newspapers, that this support had just started and now it is 10-12 years later, and yes they have gotten very good results. I met four young players from that country in NYC last August and was very impressed by them, both on and off the table.They will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the future as well the young Koreans, but not from this country sad to say. What is your take on the Japanese situation?

Just FYI, the American slang term is "piggy-back" not "piggy-bag".....LOL

Nice to see [hear from you] on the chat room.....thank you for being there for billiards in this wasteland.

Last edited:

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its just on life support in america
americans dont care for it anymore and id love to know why,
its held together here by people of other nations in big part

the only 2 "american" ranking 3 cushion players are south american born i beleive
carom is doing well in most other parts of the world

americans do not even know the game exists for the most part....

And if they do it does not provide them with the instant gratification that our culture teaches them to expect

do you have that clear????

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
americans do not even know the game exists for the most part....

And if they do it does not provide them with the instant gratification that our culture teaches them to expect

do you have that clear????

Nothing I haven't said before
As others have said and I feel the same need to get kids into it early , but there also needs to be proper instruction, who's here to give it?

We're at a stand still

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap that's awesome. I'm teaching my 4 year olds, but they're not to that point yet!

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Starting my 2 with the rail nurse
The next generation of AMERICAN billiard players stàrting with us!