Frame side to side level issue.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so i'm setting up my GC3 using RKC'S installation thread but i hit a road block, i'm trying to level the frame from side to side using a four foot level and a calibrated Machinist level, i get the Bubble on the M Level dead centered but when i push up and down on the table to check for rocking i find one leg is sitting lower that the other one, when i take up the slack on the lower leg i lose the bubble.

I even went to 1/4 turns and i still lose the bubble but the Rocking goes away, get the level back but the rocking comes back.

Now, i have a slope in my Garage but that is from the Head to the Foot not side to side, i seemed to of corrected the head to foot slope by having one side a half inch higher then the other side.

All of the Frame/stretcher bolts and screws are all tight, I started the side to side level with the Adjustable legs at the lowest setting.

What am i missing ?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ok, so i'm setting up my GC3 using RKC'S installation thread but i hit a road block, i'm trying to level the frame from side to side using a four foot level and a calibrated Machinist level, i get the Bubble on the M Level dead centered but when i push up and down on the table to check for rocking i find one leg is sitting lower that the other one, when i take up the slack on the lower leg i lose the bubble.

I even went to 1/4 turns and i still lose the bubble but the Rocking goes away, get the level back but the rocking comes back.

Now, i have a slope in my Garage but that is from the Head to the Foot not side to side, i seemed to of corrected the head to foot slope by having one side a half inch higher then the other side.

All of the Frame/stretcher bolts and screws are all tight, I started the side to side level with the Adjustable legs at the lowest setting.

What am i missing ?
Wben leveling the frame of the table, make sure the slates are NOT screwed down to the frame of the table as to NOT hold memory of the floor before leveling. Then when correcting the zide to side level, only correct by 50% at a time side to side as to NOT over correct the level sixe to side, this allows for correcting frame twisting.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took the Slate off and starting from scratch going by you're sticky. I will try it 50/50 instead of over correcting when I get home tonight.

Thanks for th reply.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another possibility is there could be a dip in the concrete. Check for that with a straight edge. Equal turns of the feet wouldn't match up if that were the case. Mitch

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Sounds like your frame is twisted. Try with some weight on it. Just put the slates on but don't screw them yet

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, the dip in the concrete is starting to make sense, since only one side of the table need shims from head to foot.

I just double Shimmed the slates to get a level bubble side to side but the Ball still caught a good drift on all three slates.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hmm, the dip in the concrete is starting to make sense, since only one side of the table need shims from head to foot.

I just double Shimmed the slates to get a level bubble side to side but the Ball still caught a good drift on all three slates.

Why would you be leveling the slates to level the frame, thats what the adjustable leg levelers are for.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got the side to side level on the frame without the slates on it, the Machinest level reads dead center on the frame, when I do mount the slates they will not sit level on the frame, even tho the wood on the Slate seem to have even contact onto the frame the bubble on the level shoots all the way to one side.

I even took the adjustable feet off and removed the screw and re centered the nut and place the legs back on at it's lowest setting.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I got the side to side level on the frame without the slates on it, the Machinest level reads dead center on the frame, when I do mount the slates they will not sit level on the frame, even tho the wood on the Slate seem to have even contact onto the frame the bubble on the level shoots all the way to one side.

I even took the adjustable feet off and removed the screw and re centered the nut and place the legs back on at it's lowest setting.

Have you checked to make sure that the frame is assembled correctly?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you checked to make sure that the frame is assembled correctly?

I am assuming so, i say this because the whole frame has stamped numbers on the cross sections and those numbers are facing the Ceiling. I think if it were upside down those same cross sections would fall to the ground, they are flush to the rest of the frame but they can come out with little effort.

If you don't Mind RKC i will post pics when i get home so you can see how the seams do not sit flush high and low points even with the frame leveled side to side, the slates all measure the same size with digital calipers.

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1/2 ", that's a lot, might try running some tight strings, cross corners,
lengths and such, might tell you something.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First pic is right side foot slate has the seam sitting higher than the middle slate, second pic is the same slate other side closer to being flush than the other side,third pic is head slate and middle slate, the seams look a lot better, fourth pic, machinest level sitting on top of other level with razor blades on bottom, the bubble is way off, also the frame has perfect side to side level without slates. I have to shim all three slates on one side to get the bubble back to level.
dc6bac25fea3cbecbde3916feb57910d.jpg
964e8904e70b9f0c85edc1b49967a3c1.jpg
51a77de1416ba7a2dfa748041f812508.jpg
ff3ba6fa033ee5891f4602d01d71a9c1.jpg

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
You should only use the machinist level on the slates

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First pic is right side foot slate has the seam sitting higher than the middle slate, second pic is the same slate other side closer to being flush than the other side,third pic is head slate and middle slate, the seams look a lot better, fourth pic, machinest level sitting on top of other level with razor blades on bottom, the bubble is way off, also the frame has perfect side to side level without slates. I have to shim all three slates on one side to

Call me, because you are doing something seriously wrong somewhere. 702-927-5689

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got it, I have side to side level and head to foot leveled with no slate.