pocket separation?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looking at an ae schmidt table to purchase...but what the heck is going on here?

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Either it's not well adjusted or it's the wrong iron.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Pocket Iron Sizes

Are you saying use #6 Oversize Irons or # ________?
Don't think the table is that old. Earlier than mid 1950's?

When it comes to replacing leather pockets on an older pool table, you must determine if the pockets are standard or custom. Most of the time standard #6 pockets work fine, but there is one particular maker of pool tables, Delmo, that use a larger pocket iron.

The only other scenario that may require over-sized #6 irons is present in antique pool tables from the late 1800’s to the early 1950’s.

Most pool tables manufactured from the 1960’s to present use common #6 irons.

To the OP: Model? Year? Thanks

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like pocket facings, thick ones, have been added and are preventing the rails from seating against the pocket.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Pocket Sliding Back? Tips and Tricks?

or the pocket iron bolts came loose :thumbup:

Do you mean........

The pocket has slide away from the corner and just needs to be pushed in towards the table and tightened?
or
The wood rails are too far away from the pocket and they need to be closer to the pockets?

Loosen the two pocket ear bolts. While pushing the pocket in, tighten the bolts.

If that does not close the gap......

Redo the pockets to rail assembly.

Remove one bolt from each of the side pockets.

It is best to this with two people.
Be sure all of the pocket ear bolts are snug before flipping.
Remove the rail bolts and carefully lift and flip over one "U" section of the rails.

Loosen the pockets bolts, square up the corners with a carpenters square while pushing the wood up against the pockets, tighten the bolts.
Verify cushion distance point to point for your size of table.
Do this to both "U"" sections.

Flip them back over, put the pocket ears into their holes, place the bolt in but just hand tight. Loosen the other side pocket bolt.
Verify that the points of the side pocket cushions are even with each other and the whole assembly is not peaking in the middle.
While applying some pressure to corners, tighten the side pockets bolts.

Install all the rail bolts but only hand tight.
Check that the whole assembly is centered on the slate.
Verify that the rails are flat to the cloth.

Measure the distance from one side pocket point across the table to the other side pocket point for your size of table.
Verify that the side rails are even using a straight edge.

Measure everything twice.
Does everything look correct?

Tighten the rail bolts equal sets of turns around the table until the bolts are starting to become just tight.
Tighten all bolts evenly.
Some tables have a specific foot pound setting. Contact the manufacturer.
I've heard 15 foot pounds.
Be sure to tighten all the bolts to the same tightness.

I'm sure the Real Table Mechanics here will give their tips and tricks and totally shred my suggestions apart.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
It looks like pocket facings, thick ones, have been added and are preventing the rails from seating against the pocket.
A lot of extra material stuffed into that space.

The ends of the facing and cushions may need trimming also?

Looking closer, you may be the most correct.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Do you mean........

The pocket has slide away from the corner and just needs to be pushed in towards the table and tightened?
or
The wood rails are too far away from the pocket and they need to be closer to the pockets?

Loosen the two pocket ear bolts. While pushing the pocket in, tighten the bolts.

If that does not close the gap......

Redo the pockets to rail assembly.

Remove one bolt from each of the side pockets.

It is best to this with two people.
Be sure all of the pocket ear bolts are snug before flipping.
Remove the rail bolts and carefully lift and flip over one "U" section of the rails.

Loosen the pockets bolts, square up the corners with a carpenters square while pushing the wood up against the pockets, tighten the bolts.
Verify cushion distance point to point for your size of table.
Do this to both "U"" sections.

Flip them back over, put the pocket ears into their holes, place the bolt in but just hand tight. Loosen the other side pocket bolt.
Verify that the points of the side pocket cushions are even with each other and the whole assembly is not peaking in the middle.
While applying some pressure to corners, tighten the side pockets bolts.

Install all the rail bolts but only hand tight.
Check that the whole assembly is centered on the slate.
Verify that the rails are flat to the cloth.

Measure the distance from one side pocket point across the table to the other side pocket point for your size of table.
Verify that the side rails are even using a straight edge.

Measure everything twice.
Does everything look correct?

Tighten the rail bolts equal sets of turns around the table until the bolts are starting to become just tight.
Tighten all bolts evenly.
Some tables have a specific foot pound setting. Contact the manufacturer.
I've heard 15 foot pounds.
Be sure to tighten all the bolts to the same tightness.

I'm sure the Real Table Mechanics here will give their tips and tricks and totally shred my suggestions apart.

I meant exactly what I said :) Its a combination of what I said and this:

" It looks like pocket facings, thick ones, have been added and are preventing the rails from seating against the pocket." Also looks like the cloth is wrapped around there too!

I like that you are so willing to type out all of that :) I am not spending that much time, LOl

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Trent is saying is there should be 2 bolts that screw in through the bottom of the rail into the pocket iron lugs. They have slop, so loosen them if they are there, see if you can slide the pocket in more, and then retighten. If they aren't there, they should be.