Proper bridge for drawing the cue ball

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I normally use an open bridge and can draw the ball fairly well but when I really need to draw the cue ball the length of the table I will sometimes miss cue. So I've been working on the closed bridge with somewhat better results. The problem I think I'm having is when using the closed bridge the stick is higher than with the open bridge so I can't keep the stick level and I'm shooting downward when striking the cue ball. With the open bridge I can keep the stick lower and level. I've read that the best draw stroke is accomplished with the cue level. I've noticed a lot of good shooters draw the ball very far with a closed bridge. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help gentlemen!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I normally use an open bridge and can draw the ball fairly well but when I really need to draw the cue ball the length of the table I will sometimes miss cue. So I've been working on the closed bridge with somewhat better results. The problem I think I'm having is when using the closed bridge the stick is higher than with the open bridge so I can't keep the stick level and I'm shooting downward when striking the cue ball. With the open bridge I can keep the stick lower and level. I've read that the best draw stroke is accomplished with the cue level. I've noticed a lot of good shooters draw the ball very far with a closed bridge. What am I missing here? Thanks for any help gentlemen!!!

You need to hit the ball pretty hard to draw it a long way. When you increase the speed of the shot, your mechanics probably start to break down. It is easier to control the front of the cue stick with a snug, closed bridge as opposed to an open bridge, especially if your grip hand clenches during the shot. That means that a lot of people will be more consistent at power draw shots or any power shot with a closed bridge.

Watch some videos of top snooker players shooting power shots. They can use an open bridge for those because they put in many hours of practice to perfect their mechanics.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I'm not a gentleman, but you can trust me. Try flattening your palm with a closed bridge. There's no rule that says your palm must be off the table at all times with a closed bridge. You can raise and lower it as needed.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I will try to work on my mechanics and pay closer attention to it. As far as flattening out my hand more that seems to be hard to do for me but I'll keep at it.! I appreciate the help!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me first start off by saying if you need to draw the CB one table there might be something wrong with your CB placement idea... :smile:

I do not judge that, if you want to practise this approach, though, and I think it's very important to train for all eventualities.

The biggest problem is not the bridge itself, it's actually your stroke (right hand). When trying to get maximum acceleration and as such impact speed you will perform wild movements. Usually you will also not hit the CB where you actually think you're hitting it. This results in your miss.

If you look at this one closely you'll see there isn't THAT much of a commotion going on or a very long bridge and stroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGibdXVC5bs

What you need to practise is also something called timing.
Actually just accelerating and going through the ball with a lot of speed will not deliver the best backspin. It's about timing the impact where you have the most speed and are at the most stable position in your stroke.
You can draw heavily even with a smooth stroke.

Watch a few of Barry's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAdMr_5_BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbBnWE7IgY

Keep practising! You can also use a striped ball and position it in that way that you can see there you've actually hit it (chalk mark).

Cheers,
M

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike81...We talked on the phone last April during the SBE outside Philly! Flatten your palm by twisting your hand counterclockwise (if you're right handed) a little, and laying your thumb on the cloth...where your normal closed bridge will have the thumb off of the cloth. Check your grip...biiggest reason people struggle with draw is one of three things...aiming too low (miscue) or not low enough; a poor transition from backwards to forwards (jerk the cue forward), try pausing a little at the back; or gripping too tightly. The cue is never level, as the rail creates a small angle on all shots. What you want is as level as reasonable for the shot. If you're not understanding any of this, please give me a call, and I can help you over the phone (773-551-7473). :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks guys, I will try to work on my mechanics and pay closer attention to it. As far as flattening out my hand more that seems to be hard to do for me but I'll keep at it.! I appreciate the help!

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike81...We talked on the phone last April during the SBE outside Philly! Flatten your palm by twisting your hand counterclockwise (if you're right handed) a little, and laying your thumb on the cloth...where your normal closed bridge will have the thumb off of the cloth. Check your grip...biiggest reason people struggle with draw is one of three things...aiming too low (miscue) or not low enough; a poor transition from backwards to forwards (jerk the cue forward), try pausing a little at the back; or gripping too tightly. The cue is never level, as the rail creates a small angle on all shots. What you want is as level as reasonable for the shot. If you're not understanding any of this, please give me a call, and I can help you over the phone (773-551-7473). :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hello Scott! How are you? I really enjoyed SBE, was the first time I was ever there. Got to watch the pros and met Jason Shaw also. Unfortunately couldn't take a lesson from you, maybe next year! I understand what you are saying here , it's something I'll have to practice but it makes sense. Thanks!

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me first start off by saying if you need to draw the CB one table there might be something wrong with your CB placement idea... :smile:

I do not judge that, if you want to practise this approach, though, and I think it's very important to train for all eventualities.

The biggest problem is not the bridge itself, it's actually your stroke (right hand). When trying to get maximum acceleration and as such impact speed you will perform wild movements. Usually you will also not hit the CB where you actually think you're hitting it. This results in your miss.

If you look at this one closely you'll see there isn't THAT much of a commotion going on or a very long bridge and stroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGibdXVC5bs

What you need to practise is also something called timing.
Actually just accelerating and going through the ball with a lot of speed will not deliver the best backspin. It's about timing the impact where you have the most speed and are at the most stable position in your stroke.
You can draw heavily even with a smooth stroke.

Watch a few of Barry's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAdMr_5_BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbBnWE7IgY

Keep practising! You can also use a striped ball and position it in that way that you can see there you've actually hit it (chalk mark).

Cheers,
M

Thanks MG , I'm ot one of those guys who likes to draw the ball 2 table lengths at all. Haha. I found myself in a bad position the other night and the only way to get to the 8 ball was to draw it down quite a bit. So I practiced it and I'm at a 50% success rate so that's why I asked. Got to get better. I'll keep working!!