my first case completed!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Looks great!

It does seem like the butt on the right in the pics is a little deep into the tube.

Can you share how you did the lining on the tubes? I know I asked about it in the other thread, but it still seems real tricky to me. How did you know what size to sew the tube? What material did you use?

It depends on what you want. At the very beginning I didn't sew the liner either. The thing with not sewing the liner and pulling the lining tight enough so that it's unlikely to move is that the material can come together in the center and create a tight spot like a funnel. Also it's necessary to fold the material to keep it from fraying and this causes a bulge inside the tube that adds extra pressure to the finish. Sewing is much better, stronger, and easier to deal with when lining the tubes. As for how wide to make it - I make it so that the resulting liner has a slightly larger diameter than the tube it's going in to account for the stretch.

The material I use is a cotton/synthetic blend that doesn't absorb moisture. It's very soft to the touch and strong. If you use something like felt then it will pill (shed) easily and will retain moisture. You want to find a fabric that has very little friction. You would be surprised how "grippy" some fabrics are even if they seem to be sleek.

For me a fabric that I accept for the liner has to pass these tests.

It must be non-abrasive and soft to the touch.
It must not retain moisture.
It must be strong.
It must not be too stretchy.
It must allow the cue to slide easily with all sorts of wraps.
It cannot be to thick to use in the tubes - this comes into play mostly for the small tube.

There aren't a lot of fabrics that fulfill these six criteria that I have found.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How about a simonis type of cloth

I feel that worsted woolen billiard cloth is too thick and too heavy. I also don't think it's soft enough to the touch although it probably won't harm the cue's finish.

Non-worsted woolen billiard cloth retains moisture too much.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have anyone noticed the fine material use to cover Silverwares and other fine Chinaware.

Phillip what was the final cost for your 1st case. I hope you add cost for speciality tools/ items, you might need for individual cases, that won't be use on other cases.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol i kinda have a number in my head but not for sure, like i mentioned billiard shot i started this just to make one for a buddy and myself lol it kinda just caught on.... I believe that i will use a worsted woven cloth on my tubes. not simonis but the same exact thing just cheaper.

pool_rob9

Registered
Love the backpack type design. Would like to see the tubes a little recessed into the case to make grabbing the cues a bit easier and a little longer case to make it available for oversized cues and old style billiard cues with a threaded wood pin onthe shaft. That type of cue usually takes an extra 2 inches or so in the case. A typical instroke holds em well if you would like a reference case.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting that you mention that i have a pretty special design for my next case that i will show soon

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
interesting that you mention that i have a pretty special design for my next case that i will show soon

As you study case making you will find that there isn't much that you can do that hasn't been done before in some form or another.

Recessed cavities are common in case making. "Hidden" pockets have also been done by Instroke, New York Case and Murnak and even Predator has a version. Me and Allan McCarty designed a case like this on paper 15 years ago.

Backpack straps - Talisman, Murnak, JB Cases, Sterling Wave cases.

Folded over leather with rivets along the side - Justis

Slip on tops with snaps - Jim Walker Cases

I have well over 1000 pictures of cue cases and various cases for other uses. The range of creativity in making cases is quite diverse.

I have the feeling that you are one of those people that will push the envelope on how to build cases. I look forward to it as seeing new ways to do things is what really fascinates me.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Congrats I love the design. The thing I love most about it is that it is riveted along the side.

I've thought about trying this out as well.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
um yes JB i understand, i never said that my case is a new design.lol

i never said i made up the backpack design too. i mentioned that i took what is famous from the great case makers and kinda put it together. with a bit of my style. Also the design on my tubes i havent seen yet but im not saying i made it up first. i should have a picture of it in a week. its not the one i have posted.

theres only so much you can do to a case( well thats what i believe) but making it with your flair or spin off on the case. =) im not trying to invent anything but contribute to a sport i love =)

Last edited:

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and you know, its weird but i really like the envelope design =) its nice and simple i think thats what i like about my case but i built it as a case for myself since im a pretty poor college student that just loves the game and believe that i can work well with my hands

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
and you know, its weird but i really like the envelope design =) its nice and simple i think thats what i like about my case but i built it as a case for myself since im a pretty poor college student that just loves the game and believe that i can work well with my hands

The envelope is a nice simple design. My first case that I LOVED almost more than any I have ever made was the McDermott soft case with the plush interior. It was the envelope style with a zipper on the side.

I think more people should make their own cases. One it fosters more creativity and two gives people a greater appreciation for the case makers who do it professionally.

I ain't knocking you - welcome to the case making club. It isn't rocket science but as you well know already there is more to it than one would think. The first time I bought a "whole" hide I nearly crapped at the price. When we went to the little leather tannery in the French mountains I emptied my bank account in that leather wonderland. A sewing machine costs HOW MUCH????

Just three weeks ago I went to the leather market and spent $1500 on different reptile prints - they don't let me buy just enough for one case.

I think it's cute watching you and Chaz Dillion develop as case makers on this board. The community here is the greatest and they will support you with orders and advice and criticism and encouragement.

I almost wish that I could start over as a "new" case maker in the current environment with a world wide forum full of pool fanatics and a leather workers forum with the advice of the world's best leather workers to draw on.

So I envy you and Chaz the opportunity before you.

Surprise me.

John Barton

P.S. www.ohiotravelbag.com is where you want to go for the part you are looking for. Page 38 http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/Graphics/Catalog_Web/P27 Catalog/Section B-1/pages/page 38.htm

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
hopefully they will set up an account for me since i dont have a tax id yet,

They have a retail site for people who don't want to or can't buy the minimums and who have no tax i.d. - that said, you can use your ssn in place of a tax i.d. I don't know what that website is but the people on LW know it.

Also you can try Ebay or find someone online who is a reseller for Ohio Travel Bag.