A New Beginning For My Game

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
This is a great way to look at it. I think too many players have an unrealistic goal of becoming the next big star in professional pool. It's like climbing Mt Everest...only a select few reach the top, but just climbing as far as you can, and as best as you can, is rewarding in itself.

There are hundreds of unknown professional-caliber players right now that find themselves struggling uphill to become the next greatest player. Only a handful will succeed.

This isn't meant to be discouraging. I'm just saying we can't all be champions, but we can certainly become very good players, great players, just maybe not the greatest. And that's a "maybe" because anything is possible. So zoom in, and keep zooming in until all flaws are highlighted and remedied. And above all, enjoy the process.

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't agree more. Not everyone who can sing or play an instrument will get to be a rock star. We all would like to be Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, but the math simply doesn't work.
I was a nightclub & private party DJ for 30 years (started in 1984 before I was even old enough to be a patron in the clubs I was DJing in).
I didn't end up remixing Madonna, I didn't end up a Marquee name, selling out huge venues (that all actually didn't come about until after I was out of the nightclub scene) but I had a helluva great time.
I wouldn't trade those days for anything, it's how I paid my way through school and how I bought my home.
Getting paid to do what you love (without the risk of gambling). My point is, even for those who don't get to be "the Rock Star" , they can still have the time of their life if they use a little common sense and have a little perspective. Not a bad deal. So what's the bad news, I won't get to be Mike SIgel? That's more than fair because I haven't come anywhere even remotely close to putting into the game what he has and I've nowhere near the talent that he does. I'm cool with that, I even take comfort in that. It sort of reassures me about there being a natural order of things. -Z-

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how many constructive hours a week they say you should put into table time. I've been playing again for just a little over a year now after about a 10 year break. For about 6 months I was putting around 70 hours of table time in a week, I'm down around 40 hours a week now. It's a weird feeling but a good feeling that you'll notice when everything just clicks when you really improve. A lot of times when you look at the table the pockets will look much bigger than they really are. It's really hard to explain and probably makes no sense at all. I won't be hanging my cue up again. I've been keeping track of the money board here on azbilliards on a couple pro's. It's really not that good. Not sure where I'm going from here. Maybe join a barbox pool league. LMAO

70 or more is what it takes to improve in big strides , 40 is a more realistic approach unless you don't have a family or other interests, although realistically, at 40 hours a week , it's a full time job, that you have to pay to keep.
For almost everyone , 40 hours at minimum wage, would beat what they average making gambling, and one day, you will have at least some kind of retirement benefits, and insurance.
Most of the pool players I know , get a couple hundred a month to live on.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't agree more. Not everyone who can sing or play an instrument will get to be a rock star. We all would like to be Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, but the math simply doesn't work.
I was a nightclub & private party DJ for 30 years (started in 1984 before I was even old enough to be a patron in the clubs I was DJing in).
I didn't end up remixing Madonna, I didn't end up a Marquee name, selling out huge venues (that all actually didn't come about until after I was out of the nightclub scene) but I had a helluva great time.
I wouldn't trade those days for anything, it's how I paid my way through school and how I bought my home.
Getting paid to do what you love (without the risk of gambling). My point is, even for those who don't get to be "the Rock Star" , they can still have the time of their life if they use a little common sense and have a little perspective. Not a bad deal. So what's the bad news, I won't get to be Mike SIgel? That's more than fair because I haven't come anywhere even remotely close to putting into the game what he has and I've nowhere near the talent that he does. I'm cool with that, I even take comfort in that. It sort of reassures me about there being a natural order of things. -Z-

Good words. I've been in the music business (small time) since I was about 19 or 20, playing guitar and writing songs. Back then I had dreams of becoming a rock star. And though I had very promising moments where I really thought those dreams would come to fruition, it just never panned out. I'm still playing lead guitar and play out about once a month. Friends come and watch and listen, then tell me I should do something with my music because I'm "wasting" my talent. I tell them I am doing something, they just watched it. Lol.

At my age, 49, I don't dream of hearing my songs on the radio anymore. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy writing and playing. Pool is the same way. I don't play in bars much because most bar players like to get a shot, and they can turn redneck really quick if all they get to do is watch. So I go to the pool hall where it's appreciated and respected. A couple of guys I play even, several I have to fork out weight, and occasionally a very strong player will come through and I get a little weight. I'm not a pro, but for the effort I put into the game, I maintain a better than average skill level, and my passion for pool hasn't wavered in 30 years. It's right up there with music. I do it for me.

Last edited:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this what the book "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" spoke to.
For me, If I could run 2 racks (14.1), once, that'd be damn satisfying. I don' think it's an unrealistic goal. I've got no real interest in gambling or trophies...not knocking those things for anyone else, it's not a judgement. For me, it's always just been about the game itself.
That's a book that is still on my 'need to read'-list.

Those 2 racks of 14.1 - is that really a goal that you set for yourself? I find it is better to study the game of 14.1, see what each rack is broken up into (break shot - pack 'handling' - end pattern - leaving a break shot - repeat) and trying to master each of those aspects. Once I got better at each of those aspects, the racks started to weave together and before you know it you are way beyond just those 2 racks! I never count the racks I run when I'm in 'training', it has happened more than once that I said to myself "wow I think I was in the fourth rack there, not even sure!"

To view from another perspective: I see guys in my league trying to smack that pack open and bang balls in and watch them get frustrated they don't get any further, just because they are not looking at the mechanics of the game. They just expect to run rack after rack because they did that a long time ago when they had a lucky streak. Now I'm not saying you are like that, there's no way for me to know - I'm just trying to point out the significance of details.

Another thing I'd like to point out: being able to experience the game as a learning journey, like people in this thread (me included) are talking about, is not for everyone. Lots of players hate to do drills, don't like playing by themselves, get bored easily and/or are just not that 'learnable'.
So count yourself lucky if you enjoy the game in this manner! I know I do! :smile:

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
70 or more is what it takes to improve in big strides , 40 is a more realistic approach unless you don't have a family or other interests, although realistically, at 40 hours a week , it's a full time job, that you have to pay to keep.
For almost everyone , 40 hours at minimum wage, would beat what they average making gambling, and one day, you will have at least some kind of retirement benefits, and insurance.
Most of the pool players I know , get a couple hundred a month to live on.

I declined health coverage at my previous job for many years. My wife has very good health insurance. Financially right now I'm ok. I even put a lot of thought on taking up Justin Bergmens challenge and willing to get my teeth knocked out. That would be to big of a jump on where I'm currently at. Pool is the biggest thing on my bucket list and better do it while I can still swing the cue. Problem is there won't be no return for the money spent on the road. Hustling is out of the question, even though I considered doing it again. I'm definitely not going back down that road. I'm going to just enjoy the game and stop thinking about it.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
That's a book that is still on my 'need to read'-list.

Those 2 racks of 14.1 - is that really a goal that you set for yourself? I find it is better to study the game of 14.1, see what each rack is broken up into (break shot - pack 'handling' - end pattern - leaving a break shot - repeat) and trying to master each of those aspects. Once I got better at each of those aspects, the racks started to weave together and before you know it you are way beyond just those 2 racks! I never count the racks I run when I'm in 'training', it has happened more than once that I said to myself "wow I think I was in the fourth rack there, not even sure!"

We're exactly on the same page. I'm one of those people with ZERO natural pool playing ability. I'm a horrible athlete My hand eye coordination would qualify me for a seeing eye dog, lol. Where I do excel is in what I'd call the "academic" part of the game. Early on in my love of the game I made it a point to seek instruction from very qualified instructors and I played almost exclusively with "older" gentlemen who played way better than me. I was always happy to "just watch" if need be in order to learn something from what the old-timers knew. I also immersed myself in books and videos. So yes, studying the game has always been first. 2 racks of 14.1 is a measureable fruition I'd like my efforts to reach. It's a good motivator. I also do pretty well in teaching the game. I've given lessons to newbies and they've consistently had positive things to say a week or so after the lesson when they've been able to practice what I taught.

I just love this game. -Z-

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Vince Lombardi once said... “Practice makes perfect” – namely, “Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.”

Maybe an outline for your practice would be good. Maybe some videos of you, as you go along, would be helpful, especially if you have a mentor.

Reading books & watching videos will help you gain knowledge, Knowledge is power, especially when you can apply that knowledge. Practice is for learning to apply that new found knowledge. IF & when you hit a bump in the road, maybe your mentor can step in & give you a boost...

Pool isn't the kind of sport that's easy to learn on your own. The ROTE system is about 20 years long, with no guarantee of success. Dr Dave's or Tor Lowry's videos will shorten that trip... immensely, IF YOU POSSESS the talent......

The reason for a mentor, tutor, instructor or coach is the prevention of bad habits from creeping in at the start.

Obviously there's more.... Good Luck

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool isn't the kind of sport that's easy to learn on your own. The ROTE system is about 20 years long, with no guarantee of success. Dr Dave's or Tor Lowry's videos will shorten that trip... immensely, IF YOU POSSESS the talent......

The reason for a mentor, tutor, instructor or coach is the prevention of bad habits from creeping in at the start.
People who find the topics in this thread interesting might also enjoy the following resource pages:

improving your game

knowledge can be useful, but you still need skill

what it takes to play like a pro (and "nature" vs. "nurture")

Enjoy,
Dave