BREAKING NEWS: Mosconi Cup Team USA

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. So your theory is that the team is Van Boening, Hatch, Woodward, Thorpe, and Dominguez, and that JAM sneakily revealed that with her thread titles today. Hmmm.

[that would be a good team]

That would be a strong team.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
SVB, Skyler, Bergman, Hatch (he earned it), and I would go with Oscar over Morris or even Thorpe at this point. I just haven't seen enough high level, big table play out of him YET. Oscar is a grinder and that's what's needed at the Mosconi.

Bergman is an ABSOLUTE must! No questions asked.

Perfect choices.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
No second chances for dumpers. IMO.

Whatever, I'm European anyway, so I don't get a vote. I hope he picks Bergman and Woodward. Those are my picks. I want it to be a close, good match, not another steamroll. This year they have their best chance in years and years. The European team looks very weak. Lets hope nobody gets any "smart" ideas and tries to make money with the oddsmakers. Sadly, I think that is almost guaranteed if certain players are picked...

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
None.

Should there maybe some sort of graduated scale, like for example: if someone played in
2 or 3 events and his point total is 25, and someone played in all the events (8 events?)
and their point total is 35, I might value the guy that scored 25 because he did better in
the events he played in but for whatever reason wasn't able to make it to more events.
Anyways, just a thought

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Oscar/Berg

SVB, Skyler, Bergman, Hatch (he earned it), and I would go with Oscar over Morris or even Thorpe at this point. I just haven't seen enough high level, big table play out of him YET. Oscar is a grinder and that's what's needed at the Mosconi.

Bergman is an ABSOLUTE must! No questions asked.

Oscar has been working out/matching up under all different conditions, and this may be his last BEST chance, as his newborn will be here soon, if not already. His timing is perfect, he's road tough now, no rattle and the Berg yep. Good picks....Bergs proven himself. Oscars possibly, going to have to do a 9-5, it works best raising a family. My guess, he might take over dads gig, he ain't getting any younger, he and I battled many times 70's-80's.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My problem with Bergman is he elected to go to Austin instead of NYC. Much much much weaker field....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you added the words "final points standings" then there would have been nothing wrong with this thread and posters wouldn't have clicked not knowing there was bait and switch in the title :thumbup:

You know that though.

No comment on the other four threads you created with five high-profile American names in the running? ;)

My other four threads -- actually, maybe it was five -- were actually my picks for the Team USA, I made a thread about each one and dug up some data on them to share, some with photos and others with articles written about them.

I used post here quite often, five or more posts a day, but now I leave this forum to members like you, who actually have little to contribute and enjoy flaming others who do contribute pool-worthy threads.

There's a reason why this pool forum does not have as much activity as it did several years ago, and as they say in the game of Tag, you're it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't read it that way, JAM. The news release says: "... the captain will pick his side from the top ten with the option of going outside the ten for one of his picks should he feel it necessary." That's unchanged from the plan right along -- 4 must be from the top 10 and 1 can be anyone eligible for Team USA, even someone's grandad (or mom). I don't think the fact that the news release shows the top 20 changes anything. They actually provide (via a click) a full list of everyone who has earned points, and the list has 137 names on it this year: http://www.matchroompool.com/wp-content/uploads/final-usa-rankings.pdf

But I think it's certainly likely that the 5th pick will come from the first or second ten on the points list.

[And if your inside info is correct, maybe you already know he's from the second ten.]

You could be right. Makes sense! :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,
I have read each of the threads you started about the Mosconi Cup, possible selections, etc., and have found the threads to be stand-alone, each offering different perspectives on players, selections, etc.......

As a thread evolves, posters add commentary that gives each thread its own direction.

Again, I found them ALL interesting and appreciate your thoughtfulness to bring them to the fore. :thumbup::thumbup:

Will Prout

Thank you, Will. I was trying to create some cool pool reads on this pool forum. It's nice to know some folks still enjoy discussing pool-related topics. It used to be so much fun posting here. I was actually almost enjoying AzBilliards, the same way we used to, but I knew it was too good to be true. Facebook has more pool-related news lately, anyway. I don't know what I was thinking when I tried to get something going here. Wasted effort on my end, except for a few kindred souls like you who enjoyed the reda. Thanks again! :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. So your theory is that the team is Van Boening, Hatch, Woodward, Thorpe, and Dominguez, and that JAM sneakily revealed that with her thread titles today. Hmmm.

[that would be a good team]

Wasn't I subtle enough? :grin-square:

That's my team picks. :wink:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Bergman is left off, someone will have some explaining to do. He would be my number one pick out of ALL the US players at this point in time. Can't blame the guy for not running all the over the country trying to qualify when it's a losing proposition.

If he's not on the team I'll have a hard time even watching this year.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My other four threads -- actually, maybe it was five -- were actually my picks for the Team USA, I made a thread about each one and dug up some data on them to share, some with photos and others with articles written about them.

I used post here quite often, five or more posts a day, but now I leave this forum to members like you, who actually have little to contribute and enjoy flaming others who do contribute pool-worthy threads.

There's a reason why this pool forum does not have as much activity as it did several years ago, and as they say in the game of Tag, you're it.

Actually, some of us that you hate actually like A LOT of your posts, its just a few posts that really really really rub us the wrong way. I enjoyed reading those other posts, but I'm confused as to why there was nothing on Earl currently since he is one of your top pics?
Anyway, thanks for those other threads
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If Bergman is left off, someone will have some explaining to do. He would be my number one pick out of ALL the US players at this point in time. Can't blame the guy for not running all the over the country trying to qualify when it's a losing proposition.

If he's not on the team I'll have a hard time even watching this year.

I can agree with that. I would actually seriously consider leaving Shane off the list, his performance has been for a lack of a better word terrible.
Jason

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I certainly don't get the hate on JAM for posting on the latest for the MC.
Just from the outside looking in JAM, don't feed the trolls. If you ignore their petty posts, they might just fade away? Wouldn't that be nice? :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly don't get the hate on JAM for posting on the latest for the MC.
Just from the outside looking in JAM, don't feed the trolls. If you ignore their petty posts, they might just fade away? Wouldn't that be nice? :)

Thanks, MOJOE. You're right, of course. It's always the same ones too. I've noticed they go after others too, not just me. I do ignore them most of the time. When I do not respond to them, they post three and four times in hopes I do respond. It's a game with them. For me, I'm just trying to contribute, read, and enjoy a pool forum. :cool:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call me an idiot(and I'm sure everyone will) but how about having some new faces in general? I know they are not in people's radars, but guys like Jeremy sossei has showed that he can go toe to toe with the best the USA has to offer. Why not put him in there as a dark horse?

I guess I'm just of the opinion that some of the so called low level pros in this country are very overlooked. just change it up a bit to see something different. afterall, this is just an exhibition.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My problem with Bergman is he elected to go to Austin instead of NYC. Much much much weaker field....

You neglected to consider that the trip to Texas, for Justin, is much easier and cheaper. If you would like to pay Justin's travel expenses, then I am sure he would be happy to attend every far flung tournament YOU would like him to enter.

Also, he is clearly the second best American player (maybe the best) because MC diminishes SVB's break. It doesn't matter if Justin goes to 9 turning stone events or zero, if Matchroom wants to field the most competitive American team, it will have Justin on it.

kollegedave

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just stop with the persecution complex. You are a longtimer on this forum and dish it out often with constant attacks of troll, newcomer, et cetera. You should be able to take some of your own medicine.

Thanks for the explanation about the other threads, we'll see if your inside info is correct.