Anyone want to spread some chuck education

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up my enco 12-3? lathe and it has a 4 jaw independent chuck on it. I know it is not the rolls royce of equipment but I would like to buy a new chuck for it and I am a bang for the buck guy. I see a lot of pics with 6 jaws installed. Is there any advantage as far as accuracy goes or more just evenly spread clamping pressure to keep from marring the piece? I see a lot of these Chinese imports on ebay for $200 ish. I see a lot of name brands like shars that are also Chinese imports. What do y'all think

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO a Set-Tru style 6 jaw is worth every penny and essentially more accurate as you can adjust it.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 4 jaw will do you good, I have used a Chinese 4 jaw and since it's such a simple design (not a lot of moving parts) it's not a big deal imo who manufactured it. A 6 jaw on the other hand is a different story. You do not want a cheap 6 jaw. My enco came with a gator adjust-tru 6 jaw and I like the convenience. Go with a good quality 6 jaw and you'll be happy, and yes more surface area of the 6 jaw making contact with the stock and requires less torque is the benefit. Made for thin wall tubing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Independent 4 jaw chucks can be dialed in dead nuts and is why it's preferred by machinists. I can dial in my 6 jaw down to a tenth of a thou.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be fooled into thinking a 4 jaw is either bad or inaccurate. It is however slower to use in most cases. 6 jaws a very good as well and some of them can be indicated in. You generally get what you pay for in machine tooling.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I use scroll chucks for is convenience but if I want accuracy I use a collet chuck. I have two types, a Jacobs rubber flex collet type and Pratt Burnerd multi size collet chuck.
Both of these type chucks can be found used for a reasonable price.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I use scroll chucks for is convenience but if I want accuracy I use a collet chuck. I have two types, a Jacobs rubber flex collet type and Pratt Burnerd multi size collet chuck.
Both of these type chucks can be found used for a reasonable price.
I'd love to find either one of those used with a d1-4 mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'd love to find either one of those used with a d1-4 mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Found one on Ebay once and lost out in the bidding. :rolleyes:

I have two Bison set tru 6-Jaw. One on a Eisen and one on a Clausing lathe.
One of the best scroll chucks there is imo. But, it is still a SCROLL chuck.

A 4-jaw ( independent ) would be good in installing joint screws or facing critical components before assembly.

digdug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Bison set tru 6 jaw on my main lathe with less than .0001 run out. I also have a Shars Set Tru 6 jaw on a secondary lathe with .0002- .0003 run out. I love the Bison, Would not trade it. But is 2-3 times the money.