IMG-20141203-00218.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 229
  • thumbnail_20170424_213510_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170424_213510_resized[1].jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 186

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not count it as part of my knowledge base. I hear a lot of things and hearsay is not a fact. I have never seen a Centennial with the continuous side rails.

To be serious - so far I've only been 2/3 serious - this was a 40 minute episode that happened nearly 40 years ago, so it is entirely possible that I mis-remembered the details, and once again, the seller said it was a first year model and the rails were Rosewood. I had no reason to doubt either
statement, and besides, as was the important point of my post, I had already
decided the princely sum of $800 was at leas t 3 times what I would have been
willing to pay for the table.

I already owned an Arcade with Rosewood rail caps and the wood on the Anniversary
didn't look all that much different to me. Later on I owned two 8 ft Anniversarys,
Formica rails, and a 9 ft Centennial with Rosewood, but at that point I had
never seen a Brunswick flat rail table with wood rail caps, so I was puzzling
more over the fact that they were wood than what kind of wood, and that
the table had only 4 rails.

Something else that must not be in your knowledge base is that table
manufacturers didn't release new models like GM doing the change over from
the 1959 Chevy to the 1960. I know for a fact that National in Cincinnati, when
they came out in 1955 or so with their first flat rail, looks-like-an-Annaversary table
used T-rail slate for many of the early tables.

For anyone who may care, I NEVER have, nor shall I ever, post hearsay about
pool tables, cues, or wood.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ft os. model d-c.

Beautiful table. They look like Rosewood. The bad news is it is not possible,
even for an expert to tell for certain from a picture. In that era they would
not have been veneer. They are most likely about 3/8 thick Rosewood shaped
over a Poplar core.

Dale

whitey79

Registered
Thanks, I'm not really sure what kind of wood it is but didn't seem like walnut. It has Pennsylvania slate stamped union made Aug 10, 1939. If my memory serves me correctly it said anniv.sportsman pkt model d-c. on the underside of the rails.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The one rail does look like rosewood, but, I would like to see more pictures and of the foot rail with the counters close up specifically.

From the 2nd pic you cannot tell what any of it is.

Kinda weird that the date says what it does since they did not start making the D-C until 1950....

In fact the "Anniversary" was marking the 100 years of Brunswick making tables which was 1845, hence, them starting to make them in 1945.

I did mention that they made rosewood rails as an upgrade and that makes sense since it is a D-C. Now, a model C having rosewood rails, you are the only person I have ever heard say that they have seen such a thing. From my knowledge base in the field and from Brunswick's knowledge base about the table, they never made an Anniversary with rosewood rails. Read all about it right here:

http://antiquetables.brunswickbilliards.com/our_rich_history/antique_tables/anniversary.html

Specifically this part:

Model C:
Finish: Walnut
- Rails: Walnut side pocket butt joint; no side pocket castings; 3 hole nut plate.
- Aprons: Walnut finish; off white grooves.
- Slate: Three piece, 1 " thick.
- Rail castings: Aluminum with off-white backed finish; used at corners only; attached to rail by bolt passing through center of face into recessed rail nut.
- Apron corner castings: Aluminum with off white baked finish.
- Pockets: Maroon one piece molded rubber.
- Legs: Oval shaped; walnut finish; off-white trim; without stretchers. Attached to base frame by bolts without angle brackets.
- Apron ball rack: Recessed in foot end apron; walnut finish.

Model C-I: Same as C, except:
- Rails: Walnut with side pocket castings; 5 hole nut plates.
- Rail castings: Aluminum with off white baked finish; used at corner and side pockets; attached to rail by bolts passing through center of face into recessed rail nut.
- Legs: Oval shaped, walnut finish; off white trim; with stretchers; attached to base frame by bolts and angle brackets.

Model D-C: Same as C, except:
- Rails: Walnut with side pocket castings; figure 8 nut plates.
- Rail castings: Polished anodized aluminum; used at corner and side pockets; attached to rail by bolt passing face into rail angle nut plate.
- Legs: Oval shaped, walnut finish, with aluminum leg band with stretchers; attached to base frame by bolts with angle bracket.

Hearsay definition, unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge: I pay no attention to hearsay.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hearsay might also be defined as the difference between what a corporation SAYS it did
and what it actually did...

Too esoteric perhaps?

Dale

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I understand where you are coming from and I am not saying you did not see an Anniversary with rosewood rails. But, I am saying it is an anomaly. I most likely could not find another model C like that if I tried. So that means it is kind of useless for me to talk about, or add to my knowledge base and especially since I have no proof of my own that it even exists.

I mentioned this: the rails may have gotten swapped from a Centennial. Either at the factory or at a pool room.

I also understand that Brunswick did lots of things that don't make sense and not documented. For example, I have a Brunswick "The Champ" model in my inventory that simply does not appear on their listing of antique tables.

I get it. :)

whitey79

Registered
I think it is original. At least its a match set. I was wondering how much slate they had in inventory? I know the second world war broke out in 1939 so the building of tables may have been limited for quite sometime. I wish I knew more details on the history of the table because I have grown rather fond of it.

footshooter5

Registered
I have to say, I've learned quite a bit from this back and forth. Also, my table arrived today and got it set up in the basement.

Trent - I couldn't help myself, I just had to play on it. Once I replace the felt, however, I'm going to start the restoration process; likely this winter.

The only drawback of where I have it set up now, is that I have a relatively low ceiling - pretty classic for a home in St. Louis built in 1914. Then again, I'm only 5'9" so not much of an issue :)

Attachments

• IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2705.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG