who makes the best playing cue???

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like most of you are bragging about cues you have bought and trying to justify the ridiculous amount of money you've probably spent on them. A great player doesn't need a $2000.00 dollar cue to play great. And in case you've never tried one, a really well made McDermott, one for $300.00 or so, is more than good enough for most players. Unless you are a professional, making a living playing pool,and I doubt most of you are, the cues you are listing are ridiculous to the average Joe. These lists of overpriced cues scream "I have no investments". If you had on a blindfold, do you really think you could tell the difference in most of these cues from a good McDermott, Lucasi, or say a 5280, and do you really think a $2000.00 cue is what makes you a better player. If so, you're dilusional.
I get what your saying but I really do believe the cue should feel and compliment your style of play.With some cues you have to change your style to adapt to the cue which I feel is pointless no matter what the cue looks like.To own something really nice isn't a sin or a waste of money if you feel like its worth it and you enjoy it.People indulge everyday with expensive runners ,takeout food, expensive cars and other frivolous spending habits,so on this site its cues.I've always been a believer in keeping one hobby and since I've gotten older and work so much, I feel when it comes to owning a beautiful piece of cue art,hell I think I deserve it!(and so do you):)

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get what your saying but I really do believe the cue should feel and compliment your style of play.With some cues you have to change your style to adapt to the cue which I feel is pointless no matter what the cue looks like.To own something really nice isn't a sin or a waste of money if you feel like its worth it and you enjoy it.People indulge everyday with expensive runners ,takeout food, expensive cars and other frivolous spending habits,so on this site its cues.I've always been a believer in keeping one hobby and since I've gotten older and work so much, I feel when it comes to owning a beautiful piece of cue art,hell I think I deserve it!(and so do you):)

I agree scsuxci...you deserve a beautiful piece of cue. I still enjoy the one I got from you, even though its my every day player and not something stored in a vault. Its an above average cue in the circles I play, not on the cost level of some of the works of art you see here on AZ...but for me, it is as comfortable as a great pair of worked in comfy shoes. I pick it up and feel good. It puts me in the mood to play my best. So in that fact, the cue suits me and my style.

Merry Christmas to you, the Mrs. and the kids. Hope you get at least one day of rest from the every day rat race. We should get together in the NEw Year and shoot some racks on a Sunday afternoon.

Peace

Headmuses.

P.S. Hope I didnt hijack your original thread bbb. :cool:

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
For those of us who won't be dropping $5,000 on a cue any time soon, who would you say for plain janes under $600 and classic four-pointers under $1,300?

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of us who won't be dropping $5,000 on a cue any time soon, who would you say for plain janes under $600 and classic four-pointers under $1,300?

LC3

You can pick up a very nice used Dan Dishaw plain jane for under 800.00 That is my current player, and I am more than happy with the cue. It has great feedback for me, great balance and just plain feels great to shoot with. Some of his cues are pretty expensive, but one comes along every so often that fits your asking budget.

Headmuses :thumbup:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Sounds like most of you are bragging about cues you have bought and trying to justify the ridiculous amount of money you've probably spent on them. A great player doesn't need a $2000.00 dollar cue to play great. And in case you've never tried one, a really well made McDermott, one for $300.00 or so, is more than good enough for most players. Unless you are a professional, making a living playing pool,and I doubt most of you are, the cues you are listing are ridiculous to the average Joe. These lists of overpriced cues scream "I have no investments". If you had on a blindfold, do you really think you could tell the difference in most of these cues from a good McDermott, Lucasi, or say a 5280, and do you really think a $2000.00 cue is what makes you a better player. If so, you're dilusional.

Apart from the fact that one should never underestimate the fun aspect of anything one does in life, which for me includes playing pool in particular, it's also a fact that the better one plays, the more sensitive one gets to the quality of e.g. a cue. Not necessarily "sensitive" in the often-used negative sense, rather, I simply love the hit and feel, and not least the sound, of a truly great cue. It's true that this won't pocket more balls for me, but the fact that I get a response from the cue probably makes me play the odd difficult position more accurately. I have students who insist that the quality of the cue they're using is directly related to their level of self-confidence - I'm not buying into that, because I'm convinced self-confidence is internal (= not something one goes out and buys, for that matter). In contrast to the "bragging" aspect you mention (don't dismiss heartfelt enthusiasm as a motive), the real question would be how little money will buy a cue with which a great player couldn't just play well (the proverbial broomstick), but enjoy playing with. I'm constantly trying cues of e.g. my students (= not to criticize them, I won't usually comment at all, unless they flat-out hate their cue and ask for advice, merely to see what it's like), and indeed, have tried inexpensive ones I wouldn't mind playing with, as well as costly ones I find awful. But as a rule, when one has played for years and knows what one needs, a custom cue (even a bland-looking one) that feels just right will have its price - at least three digits. Quality-price ratio is a one-way relation: expensiveness is no guarantee for quality, but the likelihood of something exceptional being dirt cheap is just about nil.

Merry Christmas!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent commented much during the thread and just read the posts
but ill give a few thoughts now
the fact that "famous " cuemakers got listed doesnt surprise me
they had to have made their reputation on how the cues played more than how they looked at least for the old timers
i was waiting to see if some of the more "affordable"" cuemakers names would come up and if any would get a "majority "vote
that really didnt happen
on a subjective question like this everyone voted for their preferences and no clear cut "winner"
which leads me to conclude its the indian not the arrow

all that being said
i do think certain cuemakers have developed reputations for consistency in how their cues play

my advice to the poster above
in that price range you will find a cue that plays great for you

you need to find out what characteristics feels good to you
weight ,type of joint, etc
then go with a reputable cuemaker and you shouldnt be dissappointed

thats my 3 1/2 cents worth for today
merry christmas everyone:)
curious for your thoughts??

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
i havent commented much during the thread and just read the posts
but ill give a few thoughts now
the fact that "famous " cuemakers got listed doesnt surprise me
they had to have made their reputation on how the cues played more than how they looked at least for the old timers
i was waiting to see if some of the more "affordable"" cuemakers names would come up and if any would get a "majority "vote
that really didnt happen
on a subjective question like this everyone voted for their preferences and no clear cut "winner"
which leads me to conclude its the indian not the arrow

all that being said
i do think certain cuemakers have developed reputations for consistency in how their cues play

my advice to the poster above
in that price range you will find a cue that plays great for you

you need to find out what characteristics feels good to you
weight ,type of joint, etc
then go with a reputable cuemaker and you shouldnt be dissappointed

thats my 3 1/2 cents worth for today
merry christmas everyone:)
curious for your thoughts??

One of the smartest remarks on the subject of "the Indian, not the arrow" I've ever heard is that any Indian truly worth their salt used to make their own arrows - so it's really always a combination of both.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sometime I think a Cues Playability is all about what is going on between the EARS of the Person who is using the Cue. This week one day I am playing One Pocket with my buddy like I do about 4-6 days a week.

I break & make one ball, we go back and forth with no more balls made for maybe 15-20 minutes.

Next shot I get I RUN 8 BALLS IN A ROW, not even realizing I had won the game on the 7 Ball in a ROW.

Was I shooting with a Magic Cue, yes for that game, and I am not telling who made the Cue as they don't need a 5 year back log........LOL.

SCollie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in order from best

1.Randy Mobley
2.Michaelangelo (Michael Givens)
3.Chris Nitti
4.Mike Lambros

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I had a Gina from Ernie's first catalog (large postcard) that hit so good that I have never forgotten it or forgiven myself for selling it. Also, a 1996 Richard Black that played as good as anything on earth,for me. It had a VERY solid hit.Next would be a '96 Searing Hoppe copy. However, there are a ton of cues out there that I haven't hit with and I feel certain some of them would feel real good to me. So many excellent cue makers today and it's such a personal thing. So, this is just MHO.

DrOnePocket

Banned
unbelievable. Still, all you can do is post a list of your high priced pieces of art? Do you really believe that spending an obscene amount of money on one of these cues makes you a great player? If so, then why don't you post a list of tournaments you have won simply because you were able to buy one of these cues. What? You haven't won a professional tournament? Is that because you are too busy working to pay for these grandiose pieces of art, or perhaps you are too humble to go around beating the pros simply because you were able to buy some of these overpriced cues. I'm sure it must be the latter, because you all act as if you are better than anyone using a mere production cue. William hurst

grow up!!!!!!!!!!!

Herman Rambow Built Titilist is the finest playing cue in the world.

Attachments

• HERMANRAMBOW TITILIST.jpg
    HERMANRAMBOW TITILIST.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,176

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be the Arrow!

This saying ''its the indian not the arrow" is only true to a point.All the Indians didn't use the same Arrow,alot made their own to suit their style of shooting and their own bows due to the different wingspan of the Indian.Great Equipment can't hurt but bad equipment can.Think if Roger Federer used a wooden tennis racket how many more tournaments would he win?I've read of pool players winning with a 14 dollar cue like Efren Reyes but players like this are few and on a level that most of us could only dream of playing like.I believe that most players need good solid equipment that their comfortable with.If your lucky and find that special cue that doesn't cost alot thats a bonus but if your a serious player and is lucky enough to find that special cue but has a high price tag,do I settle on something else cause of the price or make one of many pipe-dreams a reality and buy the one I love?Takecare :)

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Grow up? Is this all you could post because you have no real argument or were you too busy crying about me disparaging your overpriced toys to say anything of value. It sounds like the latter to me. I think it is you who needs to grow up, or shutup. William Hurst.

Value? What about the value of a good conversation, or civil behaviour for that matter? You're coming across as envious – try some of those "overpriced toys" and you'll see there is a difference. Whether it's worth the money for you, is up to you decide, granted, but please, if you can't tell the difference, and/or are unable or unwilling to fork out the necessary dough, don't blame it on those who can and do.

Merry Christmas!

DrOnePocket

Banned
Grow up? Is this all you could post because you have no real argument or were you too busy crying about me disparaging your overpriced toys to say anything of value. It sounds like the latter to me. I think it is you who needs to grow up, or shutup. William Hurst.

I don't have any over priced toys. I buy low and play with nice cues until i want a different one. Break even or make a little money on the cues and make money with the cues. If you aren't smart enough to do that or don't play well enough to do that, it's your problem. No reason to be an ass to people that enjoy their cues. Like I said before....

GROW UP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Herman Rambow Built Titilist is the finest playing cue in the world.

boy i would love to try that cue out:)
you know christmas is coming and with 2 day special delivery........:D
pm me and ill give you my address ...:thumbup:.....:)......;)

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is a used cue at $800 the minimum for a top flight player?

LC3

No I am not saying that, all I am saying is you can get deals on excellent quality used custom cues by cue makers. My first move would be to find a person you can trust who deals in used and new cues, either high end custom builts, or top of the line production cues, and work with he or she to find you the perfect deal at the right price.

Patience is the key, and also trusting either yourself or a middle man, all depends on the route you want to go. I myself have a friend who does deal in new and used cues. I have known him for a long time and trust his judgement as he knows what I want and can afford. He also does a lot of volume and comes across some pretty spectacular cues at great prices. Its all about what you want, what you can afford and how much trust you can put in a person.

I have seen quite a few bad deals go down not just here on AZ, but other places where there are threads of "someone got done wrong", or "I got ripped off by so and so"...etc. That isnt for me...I use a trusted middle man. He makes a bit, I get a deal and everyone goes home happy. He should be paid for his time and research just as you would expect to be paid to do someone a service.

So...sorry this turned into an epic post, but in a nutshell...yea you can find a great condition used custom or high end production cue, just be patient. The $800.00 post was just a posted mark, not the bar where you have to start to spend to get something that is great for you.

My appologies to bbb for hi-jacking his original intended thread....just had to answer LC3 ;)

Merry Christmas to all...may your stroke be true with a good follow through.

Peace

Headmuses. :cool:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So is a used cue at $800 the minimum for a top flight player?

i have a jerry olivier sneaky peat i paid $350 for that plays very well.
imho after $1000 you are mainly getting more inlays and ivory
also starting price for a "basic" custom cue is dependent on the maker
if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck a used cue in great shape from a reputable dealer is the way to go

as you see everyone has their opininon of whats the best playable cue
there is chocoalte and vanilla and strawberry

as i mentioned before in the price range you are willing to spend you will get a well made cue

lets not forget even though these names dont have the pizzaz of szamboti
but joss and schon make cues that play very well and are affordable

people who own a joss(i have 2) or schon dont always enter these discussions because at least i feel like those type of "production cues" are looked at as second citizens by some

however if you did a blind hitting session i bet many here with fancy name cues would not be able to tell the difference

if you buy a name cue you do get the satisfaction that it should be good to play with and you can only balme your misses on you and not the cue:D