Who's cues hit like (*&%?

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we always hear the hype about "hit like a mack truck", "hit a ton", and "hit is INCREDIBLE!", but I'm curious..... Who makes a cue that just hits like crap? Why do you not like them?

Not looking for opinions on cuemakers you don't care for, but cues that just consistently don't seem to be right....

Like others have said, I've yet to see an add in the for sale section that said, "it doesn't really hit all that great, but I'm selling it anyways...."

My vote - Ernie Martinez. I bought one due to the hype and was sorely dissappointed... Didn't like the taper, the joint, the balance - nothing.

Last edited:

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gray area

This is a tough post cuz everyone on here is pretty supportive of all the aspects of pool. But since cue 'hit' is subjective I will throw in my .02. While I believe his craftsmanship is impeccible, I don't really like the hit of Kenny Murrell cues. I've also never had the chance to shoot with one of his steel jointed cues which is my preference.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine hit like crap and they roll off a good bit also, maybe thats why they clink but they break good. not good for jumping cause they are so heavy so I"m trying to get my next cue down to 36 ounces or less, this iron wood I'm using is real heavy and rusting so quick it's hard to finish. I think the guy that sold it to me got me a little because wood cutting tools won't do anything but make sparks on this cue wood. I am having a special now since I been out of work so long and am broke, it's buy two and get one free for the paultry some of 299.96 each. No pictures available at this time since a cue rolled off the table and crushed the camera so pm orders to me with shipping info.--Leonard

will take paypal without any fees

Last edited:

Jeffrey Gale

My WoW stick.
Silver Member
I wanted to see what the hype is with South West cues, so I bought one. I don't like it, call me crazy, I just don't like the hit and feel. I let my friends shot with it when they come over and play, it's my house cue. They're 20 other cues that I could name, that hit better than a SW, and of course, this is only my opinion.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Although I think this post is probably in the wrong section, I like the topic. I like to hear about the good and bad. After all, how can we expect a guy to correct a problem if nobody points it out? I, for one, am sick of hearing people gush on and on about how awesome so-and-so's latest cue looks when frankly I think it looks completely unimpressive, or it looks just like everyone else's work. I think this forum needs some constructive criticism mixed in among all of the ego stroking...

As for myself, I haven't run into any well known makers cues that hit really poorly. For me anyway, most hit ok. Some a little better, some a little worse, but none that were real dogs. I will say this though, one maker's cues that really stood out on the good side for me the first time I hit with it was an ebony and cocobolo Pete Ohman (Omen Cues.) That cue has a distinctive hit that was instantly noticeable to me, and I quickly fell in love with it. His work is very good, his materials are very good, but he doesn't make cues that are quite as fancy as some. Just very nice players.

I would be the first to share an experience to help AZ'ers avoid a product that's not quite ready for prime-time, but I can't, and to me that's a good thing... I can't wait to hear your stories.

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one that really sticks out in my mind is a Richard Black that I had way back in the day. I won it off of some guy. I was playing with a Mottey at the time. The Black really hit like crap. I mean just almost hollow if I dare to say. On the other hand, I hit with a Black that my buddy owns about six months back and it really hit lights out solid. Maybe its just me, I dont know. Could've just been the one cue.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Steel jointed GINA's

Benders

Not dogs or terrible,but, as a rule, disappointing.

No question they play wonderfully for MANY others.:)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
1pRoscoe said:
So we always hear the hype about "hit like a mack truck", "hit a ton", and "hit is INCREDIBLE!", but I'm curious..... Who makes a cue that just hits like crap? Why do you not like them?

Not looking for opinions on cuemakers you don't care for, but cues that just consistently don't seem to be right....

Like others have said, I've yet to see an add in the for sale section that said, "it doesn't really hit all that great, but I'm selling it anyways...."

My vote - Ernie Martinez. I bought one due to the hype and was sorely dissappointed... Didn't like the taper, the joint, the balance - nothing.

The first cue I built was certainly a turd, with respect to the cues hit, over all design, and it's finish, it fact the cue was such a turd that it even farted!!!!!!:eek: Now while my cues may still be turds to some people, I can certainly say they no longer fart!!!!!!!!!!:D and some people even like them, now ain't that some shit!!!!!!!:p

Have a good night!!!!

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doh! This is the wrong section..... and I concur about the post-Franklin SW cues as well.. I didn't care for them at all.

-Ross
drinking heavily tonight.... alone...

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
I bought a KC custom off ebay for a friend , overall it was pretty bad. The fit and finish was 'C" class. it had a hollow resonance hit and couldnt come close to some of the off the wall house cues I've hit with.

I still prefer the hit of ebony schons...but one day Im going to buy an ivory joint ebony Mottey I hope it plays as well or better.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
1pRoscoe said:

I AGREE! I had one of his "new cues". The fact that I was owner #3 within 6 months after it was made, and since then there's been at least 3 more owners, should tell the story!!

It was like hitting with a broom stick.

<EDITED> is another. THUMP. Huh? WTF was that. Let me hit another ball here---THARUMPPA. Hmm, interesting hit. I think a 2x4 would have more feedback.

Best thing I can say about his cues is that the cue ball will move in a forward direction after you hit it. Usually.... :p

JMO! ICBW!

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most times, I think that the bad hit of a quality cuemaker's cue is due to what happened to it AFTER it left the cuemaker's shop.

Case in point, I carried a $4k Scruggs cue to SBE in 2004 to sell for a friend. It was a gorgeous cue, tons of ivory, solid ivory joint, and a hit that had a real bad vibration and was almost impossible to move the cue ball with any success/predictability. I found this out when I decided that I would play a match with it...it was a bad mistake.

I did not sell the cue, and when I gave it back to my friend, I told him what I had noticed about the cue. He snickered and said he knew about it. Apparently, he had damaged the joint at some point and had it repaired by someone other than Scruggs who did not do such a good job. While it still LOOKED fine, it wasn't.
Joe

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
had a schon black widow sneaky that I hated the hit of....maybe thats why they stopped making them. Usually like schons.

Had a scruggs that I didn't like, and again I usually like them. Can think of plenty of others, but I'm not listing them.

Usually if I don't like how it hits, I don't say anything about it when I sell them. If I like how they hit, then I say so. If I don't like it I'll probably focus on something else when selling it. Hit is so subjective anyway, that unless I feel like it hits great I'm probably not saying anything.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VonRhett said:
I AGREE! I had one of his "new cues". The fact that I was owner #3 within 6 months after it was made, and since then there's been at least 3 more owners, should tell the story!!

It was like hitting with a broom stick.
You do recall I got my EM from you, right? :p

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubswin said:
Hit is so subjective anyway, that unless I feel like it hits great I'm probably not saying anything.
Exactly my point! Hit is subjective, however those that know what a cue should hit like pretty much can peg the same errors...

case in point, I had a friend that has a VERY well known cuemaker's cue - we both didn't like it... had a very funny vibration throughout the cue... Just sucked.

hit is highly subjective, so you can chalk this post up as another one of those "Hits unbelievable" is full of shit posts...

edit - mods, please move to main forum

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i havent had a chance to hit with alot of cues, especially not alot of the bigger named makers, hell alot of people around here think meuccis are nice lol. I hit with a jacoby once i was totally unimpressed with. I bought a steve klein that felt kind of dead too. Of course a tip change could make all the diff

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
1pRoscoe said:

My dentist has a collection of Ernie cues that ALL hit like a dream, ALL OF THEM. But yet, A lady I play leagues with has one that is too rear balanced and hits kind of dead.?? She knows I love ernie cues, so she always offers to let me use it. but i just tell her I wouldnt want to be responsible if anything happend to her cue.
The worst hitting cue I have ever had was a very fancy joss. I just hated to shoot with it, but yet is was sooo cool looking. I tried a few different tips on it but it was just a dead feeling cue.
Ive had some production cues here and ther that were just monster players,yet not realy valuble at all. I had a McDermott i sold on here that played almost exactly like my old joss west did. I kind of hated to part with it!
But, for a very long time I have used my ol' adams corsair as a player cause it works good for ME.

So how much for the black listed Ernie

Jayman.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Ernie's Cues

I have to say that the Ernie I just got hits the balls well, but I've hit clinkers from lot's of well known makers. Sometimes it's just a matter of changing tips to match the shafts stiffness. Personally, too hard a tip on too stiff a shaft and I'm not happy. On the other hand too soft a tip on a whippy shaft and I'm still unhappy. I've even got Predator shafts with different joints that hit differently enough to love one and hate the other. They have matching Moori tips. The only cue that really disappointed me was a Mark Bear whose full splice cue had as many or more glue lines as veneers......

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue that hits like (*&%?

Every Tad I ever hit with "clicked" and I just couldn't stand it.