HD Camcorder recommendations needed for DCC

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Looking for a recommended Digital Camcorder to be used to record my own matches at DCC. Looking for the following:

Record in HD
Enough optical zoom to be able to record from a decent distance away, in case my wife can't get a seat right in front of my match
Record to an high capacity HD card
Good performance in lower light levels
Good microphone performance, if camera is near to the table.
Records in a format that is easily uploadable to YouTube.
Battery capable of recording at least 2 hours at a time.
Streaming not required.
Under $500, if possible.

In essence, as long as it is not super expensive, a camcorder capable of recording in the quality that genipoll14 on YouTube puts out his videos in.

Thanks,

Short Bus Russ

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wherever you get, make sure it has manual control options for the focus and white balance. Otherwise it will be hunting all over the place when your body or someone else’s gets in the frame.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Sony FDR-AX53 is what I use. Has all of the items you identify. Not sure if you can find one under $500.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought mine about 4 years ago for about 500. ITs model Panasonic HCV-720. I'm sure there are cheaper/newer ones now.

Really, the most important thing is manual focus and white balance. I'm sure you have seen plenty of pool videos where the focus hunts when the player walks in the frame, or when the player blocks the light from the pool table, the brightness hunts all over the place. Having these two features eliminate these two problems.

As far as uploading to youtube directly, unless the new models are more internet friendly, you will first need to download the movies from the card to your computer, then use a movie editing application to get them ready for youtube. Otherwise, the files will be HUGE, like 10 GB for one hour, even when set on the camera's lowest recording quality. After using the movie software, the file size might be 600 MB for the same hour, and you won't be able to tell any difference in quality.

I'd just go on amazon, and look for cameras for 350 or less that have manual focus and white balance. They are all probably plenty good now for recording pool.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSYcwSIKGmk
This is from the panasonic. After I down converted it to 720P and edited it for length on my Mac using iMovie.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I ended up going with a used Canon VIXIA HF G20 HD camcorder.

Pretty much fit all my requirements, and had many high reviews on Amazon. I never minded buying technology used, as I never was much of an early adopter.

Short Bus Russ