A Safety so good it deserves it's own thread

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ding ding ding

Ronnie supports some players,Ding is one of his favorites.
Snooker players show appreciation for a good snooker,or the escape from one.
3 cushion players tap their chalk against there shaft
gently.
Pool players used to tap the butt of their cues on the floor. Old wood floors had a resonance to them;)

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Outstanding ! Thanks for posting.

I was just watching a game between Day and Fu. Day needed 4 snookers to take the frame and battled for 20 minutes to get them (he also got a free ball in the exchange which helped a bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhTeLWJBxI

Great safety battles are highly entertainment IMO.

Dave

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie supports some players,Ding is one of his favorites.
Snooker players show appreciation for a good snooker,or the escape from one.
3 cushion players tap their chalk against there shaft
gently.
Pool players used to tap the butt of their cues on the floor. Old wood floors had a resonance to them;)

I still tap my butt. On the floor of course - on wooden floors or crappy commercial carpets it can be heard pretty well. More absorbant carpets - well, I still do it anyway even if nobody notices. If I'm coming to the table after a great shot, a safety usually, I'll often tap the table, snooker style. It's just common courtesy and a mark of respect for all players of this great game.

Incredible safety play by Ding. Clever shot that leaves a range of soft safeties if he doesn't nail it - seeing the shot is half of it.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone else think he over-hit his intention of distance with the cueball and the red maybe on opposite sides of the blue?

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ding is the best safety player the game has ever seen, best at fundamentals and technique also, wanna learn snooker, watch him

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the entire frame this safe is from. If you want to see tactical snooker at its finest I highly recommend spending an hour watching this game. While the safe posted in the OP is phenomenal there are many nearly as good and an equal number of amazing escapes !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxw1Qh7R-Ro

Dave

This is the kind of play that makes Snooker the sport it is.
9-ball players can learn a lot from the strategy demonstrated therein.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
anyone else think he over-hit his intention of distance with the cueball and the red maybe on opposite sides of the blue?

Yes, I agree to a point, but I've got to give him huge credit for his fantastic cue ball, and also for the simple fact of noticing he could fairly safely send that red back and forth through that lane. But I do agree he probably intended the red to end up more in the midst of the other balls, not exposed as it ended up out towards that far left corner pocket.

BeiberLvr thank you for sharing!!!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
He came pretty close to totally selling out that last red, which is somewhat of a feat.

The cb was very close to hitting the yellow off that 2nd cushion, so I'd say he hit exactly where he needed/intended. He wanted the cb behind the blue ball and hopefully the red would stop behind one of the other balls up table. The main goal was to hide the cb, which he did quite well. Freezing it up against the ball was a great bonus.

Sweet shot. When a player calls me lucky for pulling off a great safety, I know the truth --- you make your own luck by imagining the exact shot you want to execute and then hitting it as well as possible to achieve what you imagine, believing 100% that you'll get your desired results. Sometimes it works out even better than you thought it would, and that's a great bonus.