What will be the next area in pool where the bar gets raised?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any game that can't be "won" by a lucky pot on the break
Any game that begins with a strategic break,not a hit it hard and hope something goes in break
Any game that doesn't have the word ball in it name

Is that so much to ask?

How about a game that always takes more than 35 shots for a winner to be decided?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
It may be physical. Perhaps improved vision will lead the way to improved performance. New and improved technology in eye care popping up every few years.

I know that vision isn't the only thing that makes a player great but vision can be improved with LASIK and other technology.

I think the best is yet to come. Great pool information/videos/instruction is more available than ever before.

And if you think today's pool "athletes" have reached the height of Olympic proportions, you're mistaken. Better training is available and some are taking it now. Recently I heard Ariel-Roy talking about inviting one of the up and coming American players to the Philippines for training.

Yes, the best is yet to come.

JoeyA

We've seen overall performance rise over the years in so many areas. Kicking. Jump shots. The break. Fundamentals have improved. Diet and fitness. And so on. At times it looks like the game has reached heights that can't be surpassed.

But we know that isn't the case. Somehow, someone that is either being born this year or just picking up their first cue is going to come along and find a way to take it to a new level.

How are they going to do that? What will the next generation bring that the elite players today haven't solved?

Or do you think that other than minor differences due to changing rules and equipment we've reached the limit?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The air barrel. Having players post has taken this highly skillful part
of the game to the point that younger players have never seen the
beauty of it when done by a true professional. Watching at true master
pull this off in a tough bar is a memory you treasure forever. If pool
makes a comeback I wouldn't be surprised to see this move soar to
new heights.
jack

Someone has to pass the torch.
lol

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're going to see more players that shoot crazy perfect most of the time. Just don't miss, don't get phased, perfect patterns, etc.

For pool as a game to improve I wish we (the pool world) would get rid of or change the rules of any part of any game were luck is rewarded. Call shot/call safe in every game. You miss a shot when not calling safe, then the incoming player can put you back in... it works for EVERY game. No 9ball,10ball combos.... always last ball, etc.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US Open, the nations most premier tournament, gets moved to 10 foot tables with pro(or even 4 inch) cut pockets. Or even have Joy or Star become a big time sponsor and hold it on those Chinese 8 ball tables. Honestly, it's too much of a joke watching 9 ball being played by the pros these days.

that or make it more strict break rules and call shot/call safe in 9 ball, as it seems the pool community refuses to get off of that game.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I think that banking will improve. Bank pool remains largely an american game and I have seen many international matches where you can tell many of the high level players in europe and asia still do not bank any where near as good as many of the USA players.

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like 9 ball but i do agree that it should not be the premier game. That being said i think the next level is creativity. I want to see somebody make shots that have never been made before if that is even possible

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that sometime in the future someone will find a way to
Access playing 'unconscious' the road to 'deadstroke' where
Everything is possble and pure thought reigns. We've seen it
In a lot of players from time to time, and many can access it
On a regular basis...but perhaps we will find an easy path into
The zone.

Td

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Like this. Other sports are already traveling down this path. Pool will most likely follow, albeit, kicking and screaming to the door.

JoeyA

I think that sometime in the future someone will find a way to
Access playing 'unconscious' the road to 'deadstroke' where
Everything is possble and pure thought reigns. We've seen it
In a lot of players from time to time, and many can access it
On a regular basis...but perhaps we will find an easy path into
The zone.

Td

BumperNets

www.BumperNets.com
Changing 9 Ball Rules

If we are changing rules in order to make the game more difficult, how about each time a player goes to the table, they have to select every ball on the table and which pocket it will be played into. I think in this scenario, ball in hand after the break would make sense. It would make it a little more interesting for television as well since the commentators would know what the player was going to do before they come to the table and could explain it to the casual viewer.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Psychology / Psychological advancements are the final frontier in pool imho. As mentioned, the physical aspects have gotten to the point where anymore would probably just be overkill, with maybe the exception of better combining strength and flexibility. So back to the Psychology stuff - while already being done to some extent , I believe hypnosis / self hypnosis is the next big thing and may be the final key to the puzzle to play perfect pool all the time. It IS NOT GONNA BE the new Carbon-Plutonium break stick, new Ceramic - Titanium ball sets, hemp table cloth ( although that would be really cool 😉, it's not gonna be any of all of these GIMMICK products touted as to make you play better when in fact it's just a marketing ploy. Yup, psychology is where it's at. You know, mind over matter eliminating any and all dog out of everyone. Absolutely no fear when hill-hill for a million. An APA 5 gets up with zero fear against SVB ( we still pretty much know how that's probably gonna turn out but yall get the point. Concentration to the point of a machine ( if there is such a thing lol ). ALWAYS playing the right shot / pattern because memory banks will be utilized like those in chess, but on a much grander scale.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pros should have to call the ball to the pocket. Like I’ve heard Buddy Hall was credited as saying. Not for the shot they’re on but for the shot after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

plsllvn

Registered
We've seen overall performance rise over the years in so many areas. Kicking. Jump shots. The break. Fundamentals have improved. Diet and fitness. And so on. At times it looks like the game has reached heights that can't be surpassed.

But we know that isn't the case. Somehow, someone that is either being born this year or just picking up their first cue is going to come along and find a way to take it to a new level.

How are they going to do that? What will the next generation bring that the elite players today haven't solved?

Or do you think that other than minor differences due to changing rules and equipment we've reached the limit?

Maybe it will be going to a safety break (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?446956&p=5810857#post5810857).
It totally changes the game and forces the players to improve their safety/touch/strategy game.

When you think about it,smashing the balls on the break is possibly the worst thing a player can do, especially when playing a better player!

1P players will adapt very easily to the strategy and play this style better than good 9-ball players who (in my experience "Will lose it").

Try playing a few sessions like this and see what you think.
I'm interested to hear from players who are willing to try it out.

Paul

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How's about his folks; there are many many old timers on here that are up in age that remember when 2 foul was the game before we moved into this century ( truthfully happened a full decade plus prior ) . They always PREACH about how much better 9 ball was as a game BEFORE Texas Express ( when all the old timers still played 2 foul push out / roll out or whatever it was called last century lol)! Well I propose a compromise - a hybrid of sorts. This will be the same as both games but also completely different enough and require a special skill set I can just about promise no one has been sitting around practicing this so this could be really really fun! Here it is - ( my proposed rule change that would blend and be a hybrid type between roll out / push out and The Express of Texas and maybe make everyone happy ------ When the shooter is at the table, when playing a safe they must make BOTH the cue ball and the object ball double kiss off a rail to be a legal shot! It can be any of the 6 rails, but those two MUST double kiss to complete the safety and be a legal shot!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
actually I think that the air barrell actually hurt the game

almost as much as tournament pool

people don't like 9 ball tournaments because 9 ball is nasty
and tournaments are lilly white sorta sissy

why would anyone want to watch people that don't bet
their own money

next to the Mosconi cup ,where people go out of the way to make
the game into a team sport and actually think it is patriotic
to support a bunch of brokes that never will beat the Filipinos
without matching up and instead they play even

this puts too much emphasis on playing pool and not enough on
matching up.What kinda fun is that?

Everyone knows that pool halls are more fun without trying
to make them so sanitary and clean cut,Guys like that never lose big money

Until we can attract the bookies ,thieves,dope dealers and pimps back to the game
it will be almost impossible to win big money

At least that is the way i remember the game

Also league competition takes too much money away from the action players by letting
funsey players to actually think they are competing

If we can agree to get rid of the barriers ,we can get back
to making pool the old nasty fun that it used to be

By filling the pool rooms with boy scouts ,we are killing the action

I remember when people used to go on the road
because they not only wanted to have fun,but could make some dough

To raise the bar we need to attract corporate sponsors over to the pool room

lay down a spread and send them home broke

with a smile on their pansy faces

We don't want to be like them,they want to be like us

Lets raise the bar by betting higher and forgetting the rest

If we can remove