5 Line Quarters System Overview

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey thanks Mr. Shuffett, by the way, I havent watched it yet, but i remember you saying the other day about a shaking arm and i just noticed it in one of your videos.

I hope its not because of age. Does it increase under pressure as if you were playing me or a lesser player than myself?

Jokes aside, playing pressure is what i meant.

Theres a lot associated with that condition. I dont like that you or anyone has to suffer this condition if it can be alleviated.

The problem can become psychological after a while like buck fever, but not in a choking kind of way, but rather a expected way because one makes it happen from mental reinforcement.

Blood sugar, sleep, vitamins etc etc can have a dramatic effect on lessening or possibly curing it. From what i see though, correct me if im wrong, it's increased over time, yes?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey thanks Mr. Shuffett, by the way, I havent watched it yet, but i remember you saying the other day about a shaking arm and i just noticed it in one of your videos.

I hope its not because of age. Does it increase under pressure as if you were playing me or a lesser player than myself?

Theres a lot associated with that condition. I dont like that you or anyone has to suffer this condition if it can be alleviated.

The problem can become psychological after a while like buck fever, but not in a choking kind of way, but rather a expected way because one makes it happen from mental reinforcement.

Blood sugar, sleep, vitamins etc etc can have a dramatic effect on lessening or possibly curing it. From what i see though, correct me if im wrong, it's increased over time, yes?[/

------------------------------

My shakey arm started inexplicably in the late 90s. I was playing a one-pocket player by the name of Patcheye. We had played on several different occasions. I was getting a half ball spot at the time. We were playing $30 a game. It wasn't the pressure. I ended up 8 or so games up but I've carried that shake with me ever since. Pressure does exacerbate it. Oh well, I have learned to manage it very well. It occurs when I'm just knocking the balls around by myself. I refer to it as a Task Function Tremor.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice of you to do a video. But instead of taking a wild "guessing" at the numbers, you could read Brian Crisp's "Poolology" and KNOW the numbers by the diamonds on the rails. Have you ordered his book?

Yes, I have the book. The numbers are not WILD guesses. Keep your negative ass out of this thread, you fricken bashing piece of crap. There will be those that appreciate the info.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very good fractional info, Stan. I like that you included the info on spinning a ball that's close to a number. This traditional fractional method (the quarters) has always had one problem -- a lot of trial and error for newbie players and less-experienced players. What I've done in my book is enhance this quarters system so that it's quicker to learn and more accurate to use.

I like the idea of using single numbers (0, 1, 2, etc ...) so as to not clutter the mind with many lines. In my book I encourage players to use comparative vision instead of fractional math. Thinking "2" or "3" isn't much different than simply thinking 1/2 or 1/4. Any short label is good, but I prefer a label that corresponds to the actual overlap, the factional relationship between the balls upon impact.

When you look at a shot and determine that it's a tweener, it's your experience that tells you it's not a 1 or a 2. But a learning player doesn't have the experience to know this. It's guesswork for them, so they need to have a solid method of knowing when it's a 1 or 2, then they'll be able to visually compare the options and come up with a much more accurate aim point. That's what my system provides. Poolology is the advanced version of an archaic fractional method that was never very user friendly.

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Blood sugar, sleep, vitamins etc etc can have a dramatic effect on lessening or possibly curing it. From what i see though, correct me if im wrong, it's increased over time, yes?[/

------------------------------

My shake started inexplicably in the late 90s. I was playing at one-pocket player by the name of Patcheye. We had played on several different occasions. I was getting a half ball spot at the time. We were playing IMG_1523.MOV.mov$30 a game. It wasn't the pressure. I ended up 8 or so games up but I've carried that shake with me ever since. Pressure does exacerbate it. Oh well, I have learned to manage it very well. It occurs when I'm just knocking around by myself. I refer to it as a Task Function Tremor.

Stan Shuffett

I can't tell on my iPhone if that is a actual movie link of your one pocket game against patcheye but I'll find out later on my piece of crap chrome book. If so, cool! And if so, im sure you have others I'll try to coax you into linking in the future if that's ok with you. Maybe your us open too if you have it?

Do you think you are playing better now than ever?

Do you think the shaking hinders you?

Maybe I can help. QUESTION:

Are there times when you play or practice that it DOESNT shake?

If yes, is there ever times it does not shake when dead cold before play or practice and are you more inclined to shake when dead cold in the morning rather than evening?

Unless it's circumstances beyond control, i sure hope this has not engrained a mind/muscle link, BUT, that can be reversed.

I read studies before about these engrained mind/muscle links, similar to the act of even lighting up a cigarette and how that motion itself can be hard to break and is often replaced by a toothpick.

The cigarette thing is not the same obviously as a case of shaking, but I do know that when it first starts happening, like you in the 90's, these studies state it's important to address it quick AND DONT LET IT SHAKE. I understand their meaning because it can often times be easy to accept it and unknowingly exacerbate it.

I notice when I wake up and do my morning stuff in a daze, I'll shake while scooping things with a spoon and almost find a bizzare pleasure or something unexplainable, where i "go with it" as if a rhythm, and it shakes even more, then I slap myself mentally and even get a bit angry at myself, stop, focus, and make it stop.

I hope I'm resonating with you Mr. Shuffett, you don't seem the type who likes getting owned in any way shape or form.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I have the book. The numbers are not WILD guesses. Keep your negative ass out of this thread, you fricken bashing piece of crap. There will be those that appreciate the info.

Stan Shuffett

Almost everyone here has been trying to be extraordinarily civil lately.

How on God's good green Simonis covered Earth do you repeatedly get away with this language without being sent to the locker room? *Anyone* else here would incur a severe penalty for this kind of ad hominem attack.

Lou Figueroa

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good fractional info, Stan. I like that you included the info on spinning a ball that's close to a number. This traditional fractional method (the quarters) has always had one problem -- a lot of trial and error for newbie players and less-experienced players. What I've done in my book is enhance this quarters system so that it's quicker to learn and more accurate to use.

I like the idea of using single numbers (0, 1, 2, etc ...) so as to not clutter the mind with many lines. In my book I encourage players to use comparative vision instead of fractional math. Thinking "2" or "3" isn't much different than simply thinking 1/2 or 1/4. Any short label is good, but I prefer a label that corresponds to the actual overlap, the factional relationship between the balls upon impact.

When you look at a shot and determine that it's a tweener, it's your experience that tells you it's not a 1 or a 2. But a learning player doesn't have the experience to know this. It's guesswork for them, so they need to have a solid method of knowing when it's a 1 or 2, then they'll be able to visually compare the options and come up with a much more accurate aim point. That's what my system provides. Poolology is the advanced version of an archaic fractional method that was never very user friendly.

Thanks!
I don't think what I presented is archaic by any stretch. There's lots of value for that system as an amateur system. I prefer the simplicity of it if I were teaching fractions to a student.

Stan Shuffett

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stan Shuffett

Lmao, not trying to laugh at denwhits expense but this is pretty golden lol.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How on God's good green Simonis covered Earth do you repeatedly get away with this language without being sent to the locker room? *Anyone* else here would incur a severe penalty for this kind of ad hominem attack.

Lou Figueroa

Lou,
Denwhit blatantly bashed my video lesson on purpose right out of the gate just to prop up another system....and knock me down a little. The reason that I catch a little slack, I reckon, is because the moderators recognize what is taking place.

Stan Shuffett
Didn't take the haters long at all to enter my video lesson thread.....lead by Denwhit followed by Lou. You two are real pieces of work.
Congrats haters.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks!
I don't think what I presented is archaic by any stretch. There's lots of value for that system as an amateur system. I prefer the simplicity of it if I were teaching fractions to a student.

Stan Shuffett

I just meant it's been around for decades unchanged. It's excellent information, very useful for many players, and you present it well, as expected.

If I were an instructor, and a player came in asking about fractional aiming, I'd most definitely introduce my system to allow him/her to know exactly which fractional aim point to use instead of relying on trial and error. The road to building a nice memory bank of shots will be smoother and much shorter. Simplicity is what we make of it. What looks complicated and confusing at first often ends up being quite simple.

My system serves as a roadmap. Once the routes become stored into the brain, the map isn't needed all that much anymore. The same benefits can be obtained using traditional fractional aiming like this 5-line quarters, but it'll require more time and effort.

hogie583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video Stan. One question... other than using Centennial balls marked at the quarters. Do you have a way of always finding the quarter of the ball? I know when i use Cte.i pick up the center to edge crystal clear from there i slide over until edge to a comes into my peripheral vision. Then sweep into shot line. Ive tried it both ways many times. For me i struggle landing right on the quarter everytime. So again is there a rock solid way of landing on the quarters visually?

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Shuffett, at approximately 2:02, you shoot zero at the 14 ball and state that you want to pop it off the rail with some inside.

So, from your shooter point of view, is this left or right of center?

Is it english "spin" or more of a deflect type glance, which i would assume applies a spin but maybe 1 or 2 vertical axis revolutions by the time it collides with the ob?

Can you explain in detail please? Come in center or zero and then pivot half tip left or right of just below "center" cb?

The system dictates a zero, but there is a slight angle, so im not sure what side of the cb is "inside", because one of those sides would then offset the "tweener" but i have no idea what actual stroke angle you are applying.

Do you still apply a left or right angled cue with this system or do you target shoot square down the line number?

I dont aim really, so i dont have a use for this, but i like to watch your videos because there isnt much out there thats interesting to me.

I'm just trying to understand as much about this game as possible, but I swear this is really confusing to me unless i know some details. I can apply inside, which to me, would be right of center, and make a thick or thin collision if i want to.

So that takes me to kind of a problem i have and i dont know how to pop a ball off the rail, other than using velocity and stun.

I dont think you are applying much spin in that shot if i had to bet because at that shallow angle, spin with skid will produce "throw" and in these particular shots near the rail, left or right spin with skid, produces the same effect that i can explain, but ill just leave it right there.

You dont have to reply in great detail unless you want to, thanks Mr Shuffett, and im glad this video is over 30 minutes long.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just meant it's been around for decades unchanged. It's excellent information, very useful for many players, and you present it well, as expected.

If I were an instructor, and a player came in asking about fractional aiming, I'd most definitely introduce my system to allow him/her to know exactly which fractional aim point to use instead of relying on trial and error. The road to building a nice memory bank of shots will be smoother and much shorter. Simplicity is what we make of it. What looks complicated and confusing at first often ends up being quite simple.

My system serves as a roadmap. Once the routes become stored into the brain, the map isn't needed all that much anymore. The same benefits can be obtained using traditional fractional aiming like this 5-line quarters, but it'll require more time and effort.

Stop making this a comparison. This is Stan's info that he is putting out for free.
If you want your system ( that you don't even use) compared put it on here for free and lets all do the comparison.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice of you to do a video. Instead of guessing at the numbers, we could read Brian Crisp's "Poolology" and KNOW the numbers by the diamonds on the rails.

You could read it, but you won't, so why are you here.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Even you surely aren't biased enough that you can't see the intent by denwhit, or are you.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Stop making this a comparison. This is Stan's info that he is putting out for free.
If you want your system ( that you don't even use) compared put it on here for free and lets all do the comparison.

I'm sorry, but all I've heard and read from Stan concerning fractional aiming is that it's for "amateurs", that's it's "unprofessional" and just "full of gaps". He has been consistently negative toward fractions and my book. A couple of weeks ago he said he was ordering my book and would have a pro friend of his critique it. Now that he's seen my material he decides to share his 2nd most favorite and most accurate aiming system next to CTE pro one. So I guess fractions aren't that bad after all....lol, as long as it's traditional fractions where the player has to estimate/guess the aim points.

Your comments should be directed toward Stan. Why is a professional CTE man giving a lesson on traditional fractional aiming if he thinks fractions are so inferior? And the quarters system is not Stan's "info"....it's been around for many many decades.

And my book isn't free for the same reason CTE DVDs and the upcoming CTE book are not free. It takes a lot of work to put together things like this. I respect Stan for doing what he has done with Hal Houle's CTE, and Stan deserves recognition and compensation for his work.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Even you surely aren't biased enough that you can't see the intent by denwhit, or are you.

Will my suggestion for peace and quiet in the AIMING FORUM ever come to fruition?

It would solve a lot of problems. I'll leave a couple of the names out in this one since they weren't part of it: It doesn't have anything to do with CTE but it does with the creator of it and those who are habitual attackers.

MY POST TO MIKE HOWERTON IN THE NEW BASHING RULES:
Do you really want to see the bashing come to an end? If so, this new rule certainly isn't doing very much.

Your last 3 lines above spell out BAN times. My suggestion is to not have BANS from the entire forum.

But certain individuals who habitually can't control themselves with the CTE Aiming System need to be forbidden to enter any conversation regarding the subject.

#1 on the list is LOU FIGUEROA. He was the primary attacker 20 years ago and still holds a vendetta for it and is the primary attacker today as evidenced in his latest posts. It never stops.

#4 is denwhit.

Prohibit them from entering into any discussion about CTE or CENTER TO EDGE; starting their own posts about it; interacting with any and all known CTE users reg proponents, and creator of CTE; bringing it up in any other threads related to another aiming system.

Do you want peace and quiet? Try it for one or two months as an experiment and I'll bet the aiming forum gets as quiet as an empty church. If you don't, nothing will change. It's in your hands Mike.

And here are both of them once again.