2012 CSI 14.1 challenge results?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Steve was there, too? Ugh.. I missed out on meeting/seeing so many peeps this year! :(

Trigger: Steve wasn't there but he got in contact with Mike Fieldhammer who took a picture of the leader board and sent it to Steve who sent it to me and that's how we got it up here. Other results were texts from Marop to me to Steve.

Nothing from the people who ran the event yet.

I heard you won $300 and Archer won $500 for first place but have not heard from the powers that be yet.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Did Mike Davis not give it a go? He's usually a tough nut in this type of head to head...

Yes, Mike took a shot at it but was not able to qualify. The board shown is not the final board. I believe that it omits the final day of qualifying.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Trigger: Steve wasn't there but he got in contact with Mike Fieldhammer who took a picture of the leader board and sent it to Steve who sent it to me and that's how we got it up here. Other results were texts from Marop to me to Steve.

Nothing from the people who ran the event yet.

I heard you won $300 and Archer won $500 for first place but have not heard from the powers that be yet.

Yep, I won the women's division (SO happy!) and Johnny won the pro division. Darren placed 2nd.

I really wish I was trigger. Would of Been great to finally meet you and sweat some of your matches..

Hey theres always SBE !!!

Hope to meet you soon
Steve

I prolly wont ever attend SBE, so we will have to meet somewhere else!

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member

I took this pic of the women's division results, and the other two divisions (seniors and amateur) can be see slightly. Hope this helps.

Looks like Bob won :)

141.jpg

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2012 CSI 14.1 challenge results

For those that did NOT gt paid at the event, we are sending out Money Orders tomorrow. Thanks to all that supported the event.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

2012 CSI Hi-Run Challenge (Held at BCAPL May, 2012)

Here are the results of the whole event:

Single High Run: Mika Immonen 141 ($200 prize)

238 - Dennis Orcullo
218 – Mika Immonen (141)
214 - Corey Deuel
196 – John Schmidt
183 - Ryan Stone
177 - Johnny Archer
169 – Tony Robles
159 – Darren Appleton

Appleton defeats Orcollo (100-67)
Schmidt defeats Stone (100- unable to play)
Archer defeats Deuel (100-15)
Robles defeats Immonen (100-73)

Appleton defeats Schmidt (100-40)
Archer defeats Robles (100-75)
Archer defeats Appleton (100-6)
(Player wanted to play to 100 and not 150)

Archer = $500
Appleton = $300
Schmidt & Robles = $200 each
Orcollo, Stone, Deuel, Immonen = $100 each

Men’s Amateur
Larry Wilson - 103 ($500)
Greg Hogue - 88 ($300)
Robert Frost - 85 ($200)
Blaine Barcus - 83 ($100)

Men’s Senior

Bob Jewett - 77 ($300)
Mike Zygmunt - 71 ($175)
Calvin Cocker - 71 ($175)
Peter Lhotka -68 ($100)

Women

Melinda Bailey - 39 ($300)
Susan Williams - 38 ($200)
Gail Glazebrook - 32 ($150)
Grace Nakamura - 27 ($100)

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$500 for 1st place........you are kidding me right? WTF? a major event and that is all that can be paid? what is pool becoming? that payout disgraceful!

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
$500 for 1st place........you are kidding me right? WTF? a major event and that is all that can be paid? what is pool becoming? that payout disgraceful!

This wasn't a "major" event, it was an extra side event to the big tourneys. Plus, each person had to pay $20 for each try, and all the $20s paid by the players to try for the high run is what the payouts are based on.

I have no idea if CSI added money or not, but this event was a lot of fun and a great idea! It allowed the amateurs to watch the pros play right in front of them. It was an awesome treat for those who have never seen them play straight pool, and even a treat for those like us who know the pros, to be able to watch the awesome talent.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a much larger prize fund, especially for the seniors, but....

Would you be willing to work on finding a sponsor?

In terms of dollars/hour of time played, I think the pro finalists probably did better on average than the players in the 10 ball tournament.

Also, I wouldn't call this a major event. It is an add-on to a very large set of events. All the players were at the venue for other reasons. For the pros, it was a way to pick up a little extra money for a very low entry fee by squeezing a little 14.1 into their main schedule.

Truth be told, I'd have been comfortable with less in the seniors' prizes and more in the pros.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you for the clarification.......just seems pool isn't gaining much ground as of late......on my "dish tv" they are showing little known sports events (badminton?) rather than showing ANY pool events. well, on 3d, there are trick shot shows.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

One of the reasons the payout was low was that CSI was working on exposing the game to as many new players as possible and not necessarily worried about making a big payday for the players. That explains the central location, and the many categories.

Contrast that with the 2012 Derby Straight Pool Challenge which is more of an event for the hard core straight pool fan. We did not have separate categories and so the best players got the most money. We were able to raise money in addition to the entry fees of $4,600.00. We did not have to pay anyone to work the room since we were all unpaid volunteers. Cameras were brought in by the volunteers and in addition, J.R. Calvert and Alvin Nelson of Inside Pool were kind enough to stream some of the event. And we had unpaid commentators. We were lucky enough to have the room and the tables provided by Diamond and so that is another expense we did not have to worry about.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

2012 CSI Hi-Run Challenge (Held at BCAPL May, 2012)

Here are the results of the whole event:

Single High Run: Mika Immonen 141 ($200 prize)

238 - Dennis Orcullo
218 – Mika Immonen (141)
214 - Corey Deuel
196 – John Schmidt
183 - Ryan Stone
177 - Johnny Archer
169 – Tony Robles
159 – Darren Appleton

Appleton defeats Orcollo (100-67)
Schmidt defeats Stone (100- unable to play)
Archer defeats Deuel (100-15)
Robles defeats Immonen (100-73)

Appleton defeats Schmidt (100-40)
Archer defeats Robles (100-75)
Archer defeats Appleton (100-6)
(Player wanted to play to 100 and not 150)

Archer = $500
Appleton = $300
Schmidt & Robles = $200 each
Orcollo, Stone, Deuel, Immonen = $100 each

Men’s Amateur
Larry Wilson - 103 ($500)
Greg Hogue - 88 ($300)
Robert Frost - 85 ($200)
Blaine Barcus - 83 ($100)

Men’s Senior

Bob Jewett - 77 ($300)
Mike Zygmunt - 71 ($175)
Calvin Cocker - 71 ($175)
Peter Lhotka -68 ($100)

Women

Melinda Bailey - 39 ($300)
Susan Williams - 38 ($200)
Gail Glazebrook - 32 ($150)
Grace Nakamura - 27 ($100)

Total winnings per player at DCC 2012:

Ralf $2650
Alex $2450
Mika $2000
Schmidt $1600
Appleton $1500
Orcollo $900
Niels $700
Archer $700
Huidji $500
Mats S $100
Total Prize Money: $13,100.00

First and Second was $2600 and $1900 shared by Ralf Souquet and Alex Pagulayan.
Third and Fourth was $1200 apiece for John Schmidt and Darren Appleton. ($1100 was last year)
Fifth through eight was $700 apiece for Johnny Archer, Dennis Orcollo, Mika Immonen, and Niels Feijen.

High run of the event: Mika Immonen $1000.

Dailies:

Sunday:

John Schmidt 127 ($300)
Huidji See 84 ($200)
Darren Appleton 51 ($100)

Monday:

Huidji See-105 ($300)
Darren Appleton-85 ($200)
Ralf Souquet - 83 ($100)

Tuesday:

Ralf Souquet - 108 ($300)
Dennis Orcollo - 73 ($200)
Mats Schjetne -64 ($100)

Wednesday:

Mika Immonen- 156 ($300)
Alex Pagulayan-141 ($200)
John Schmidt- 110 ($100)

They were different types of events with different purposes.

The event put together by Charles Eames and Steve Kurtz is somewhere in the middle of these two events. They give great exposure to the game to new players, like the Vegas event. I think they give some prize money to categories other than the pros, like Vegas. But they also are able to put together a pretty fair pot of money for the pros due in large part to the great fundraising done by Charley and Steve. They work with a volunteer crew, like Derby and keep those costs down, but they do have to pay for space and tables, and that eats into their prize fund a bit. They attract great players who end up getting some big runs.(I had something like this in my original post but Steve was worried someone might take it the wrong way. After chatting with Charlie, I decided to again mention their event as one of the events that helps promote straight pool.)

Together, I hope we all contribute to the rising tide of interest in straight pool that will help right the ship.

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As mentioned by others, this is strictly an add-on event to help build interest in straight pool.

We charge $20 for 4 tries and use the total of the 4 attempts for prizes.

Derby City is a different type of event. They get all heavy hitters and I believe they charge differently - allowing a certian number of attempts for a high run. It is different but I applaud the money they raise for the players.

Either way, we appreciate all that are trying to promote straight pool and we are still contemplating whether to revive the US Open 14.1 when we move to the Rio in July of 2013.

The only expense that we had was the labor of manning the booth. CSI provided the tables - TV and cameras - and all assorted other stuff.

It is much more involved than first glance would suggest.

Thanks to everyone for trying and see you all next year.

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was debating on whether or not to chime in on this but I feel that as someone who is a part of the rising tide of straight pool with my partner Steve at the Valley Forge 14.1 Challenge I need to.

Guys these events are at the scheduling and monetary mercy of the larger events they are a part of. The pros and amateurs alike may love these events as Mark's and our formats are very similar after comparing notes at the Valley Forge event two years ago etc even down to the plasma displays I put up year one. I applaud Mark and all the crew that ran the booths down in Vegas for their continued support of 14.1 as a whole and for recognizing that there is still a large group of people who want to play and see this game shine. The fact they paid that many people is awesome regardless of what the breakdown was and in all honesty the amateurs for these events are our bread and butter. As much as we love having the heavy hitters like John Mika etc etc they take forever to take their turns and in the course of one John Schmidt turn I can get in 4 amateurs usually. Shane was on the table for 2 and a half hours almost this year and had a great run but the only issue is time. The more people the more money etc.

Again I applaud Mark and everyone involved with making this event run smoothly once again.