cue ball fouls only

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you in 14.1 leagues, do you play fouls on all balls or cue ball fouls only. Our league plays CB fouls only and seem to be getting into too many disagreements on fouls.

I would hear your thoughts.

-Dennis

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I wrote about this before, but it may be of interest to you. A friend and I who play now and again, usually played CB fouls only, but found our allowable slop range growing a bit simply out of indifference.

We considered all ball fouls but decided that was really nit picking without a referee because we would have to stand up and watch ever so carefully on each shot to see if something touched an OB. So we discounted that idea.

Instead, we came up with what we thought was a happy medium. We play a sort of modified CB fouls only rule. We count an object ball foul a 5 point penalty. However, the offending player can continue to shoot.

You can further modify a rule like this to include this 5 ball penalty a part of the 3 foul rule if you like.

Just a suggestion that really worked well for us in finding a happy medium.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
For those of you in 14.1 leagues, do you play fouls on all balls or cue ball fouls only. Our league plays CB fouls only and seem to be getting into too many disagreements on fouls.

I would hear your thoughts.

-Dennis

We exclusively play "all ball fouls" in Europe, I've always only played "cue ball fouls only" in the U.S., so I'm not qualified to comment except that I (here: would!) find "cue ball fouls only" preferable when there is no referee available for every table (and there never is for league play, at least not here) - to put it another way: I don't see how any other rule set would lead to fewer disagreements among players.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wrote about this before, but it may be of interest to you. A friend and I who play now and again, usually played CB fouls only, but found our allowable slop range growing a bit simply out of indifference.

We considered all ball fouls but decided that was really nit picking without a referee because we would have to stand up and watch ever so carefully on each shot to see if something touched an OB. So we discounted that idea.

Instead, we came up with what we thought was a happy medium. We play a sort of modified CB fouls only rule. We count an object ball foul a 5 point penalty. However, the offending player can continue to shoot.

You can further modify a rule like this to include this 5 ball penalty a part of the 3 foul rule if you like.

Just a suggestion that really worked well for us in finding a happy medium.

Very interesting. Thank you for your input. One of the unique things about our league, we have players with experience levels from beginner to 50 years. The experienced players rarely, if ever, foul by moving another ball..but inexperienced players have difficulty bridging over tight positions and foul often.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We exclusively play "all ball fouls" in Europe, I've always only played "cue ball fouls only" in the U.S., so I'm not qualified to comment except that I (here: would!) find "cue ball fouls only" preferable when there is no referee available for every table (and there never is for league play, at least not here) - to put it another way: I don't see how any other rule set would lead to fewer disagreements among players.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Thanks for your comment, David. One of the things I have wonderered about with "all ball fouls" is if a OB was barely brushed with a piece of clothing (or hair) and not moved but opposing player called a foul. That could create some heated discussion.

-Dennis

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks for your comment, David. One of the things I have wonderered about with "all ball fouls" is if a OB was barely brushed with a piece of clothing (or hair) and not moved but opposing player called a foul. That could create some heated discussion.

-Dennis

That is a foul and will sometimes lead to heated discussion if the player doesn't notice, and the opponent is the only person to have seen it. I once let a particularly annoying guy take over in a Straight Pool final, saying to myself if there's any justice he won't run out, but he did, and about fifty spectators came up to me afterwards and all said the guy made it up, that I wasn't even close with my shirt or whatever it was, and that I should not have given in. :angry:

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a pretty friendly league with players with a wide range of skill and knowledge. We play cue ball fouls only and haven't had any problems that I know of.

There is a point that everyone should know when playing cue ball fouls only. If you bump a ball and that ball crosses the path of the cue ball or ends up touching the cue ball in any way, that is considered a cue ball foul.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our round robin games we play c ball fouls only, however, in matches with two friends we play all fouls. This of course requires strict honesty. If I foul and my opponent does not see it, I fouled and I call it. My opponent does the same. If My opponent says that I fouled but I was unaware of it, I fouled. No argument. This works well for us.

Dave Nelson